Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #1
94boosted

Drives: ‘17 1LE, ‘17 BMW 340, ‘18 F-150
Koni Shock Install - Help

Switching out front and rear struts for Koni's but having some issues tightening the top nut on the rears (I'm assuming I'll have the same issue on the fronts). There's no hex nut or torx bit to put a wrench onto to stop the shock shaft from spinning when tightening the nut. And holding the adjuster with pliers just seems like a bad idea. I've tried with both the spring compressed and spring uncompressed, no luck shaft continues to spin.

If this was a cheap shock I'd just use an impact to tighten the nut but these are custom-valved shocks that cost me a pretty penny and I don't want to damage them.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
Synner

Drives: cars
On every other adjustable system the adjuster piece comes out and an allen wrench fits in to hold it for torquing.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #3
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Use the KONI included nut and lock washer, instead of the factory locking nut for the shock.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #4
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Bump it with the impact. As long as you don't sit there and jack hammer it, a bump or two won't hurt it.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #5
94boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
On every other adjustable system the adjuster piece comes out and an allen wrench fits in to hold it for torquing.
Doesn't come out at least not easily and I didn't want to pull too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
Use the KONI included nut and lock washer, instead of the factory locking nut for the shock.
No such nut came with these, but I did buy them used... I checked with original owner and he also didn't have any new nuts when he bought them. Then again these were the very first 1LE shocks they are technically prototypes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Bump it with the impact. As long as you don't sit there and jack hammer it, a bump or two won't hurt it.
That's what I ended up doing, used my electric impact which doesn't have much torque and just bumped the nut on until I had ~1.5 threads sticking out past the nut like the stock shocks did. Hopefully when it comes time to remove this isn't an issue
Old 02-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #6
cbell

Drives: '14 RRM 2SS/RS,GMC Syclone, LPE T/A
DO NOT use an impact on any shock with a Koni Wet kit in them. We repair 5-10 sets a month that someone used an impact on then broke the adjuster trying to get them off of full tight. When you spin the shaft clockwise with an impact suddenly the threaded adjuster nut wants to not spin, this tightens it up. If you set them to full loose you would reduce the chance of damage but it is still there. There is a special wrench with a rubber sleeve on it that clamps around the shaft to hold it. You clamp it down on the shaft then you hold the shaft while turning the nut. I just looked in my invoicing software and I have billed out repair on a stuck adjuster 717 times in the last 10 yrs.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #7
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
DO NOT use an impact on any shock with a Koni Wet kit in them. We repair 5-10 sets a month that someone used an impact on then broke the adjuster trying to get them off of full tight. When you spin the shaft clockwise with an impact suddenly the threaded adjuster nut wants to not spin, this tightens it up. If you set them to full loose you would reduce the chance of damage but it is still there. There is a special wrench with a rubber sleeve on it that clamps around the shaft to hold it. You clamp it down on the shaft then you hold the shaft while turning the nut. I just looked in my invoicing software and I have billed out repair on a stuck adjuster 717 times in the last 10 yrs.
I agree overall, but disagree in this instance. The OP needed only a thread to crown an already snug nut. The judicious use of an impact at this point should not do any harm and did not.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:22 PM   #8
94boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
As I reused the stock dust boot I'm not sure where I would have even put the wrench with a rubber sleeve.