Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #1
Gossamer

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Being the off season for me

Does anyone know, can an RS rim/tire(275/40/20) fit in the trunk and allow for the top down?

I'd check myself but it's 15 degrees, snowing and my car is covered until spring.

Planning on heading to Camarofest this year and would like to bring a real spare tire along.

Being trunk challenged as much as these cars are wondering if I'll be able to cruise down the highway on a nice day with the top down and have a tire in the trunk for that inevitable got ya moment
Gossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
Stewart

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS & Ground effects
I tried on my 2014 (yours may be different) and no it does not. I then tried taking the trunk floor out to see if the tire would fit in the area where the battery is, again not enough room.

MY BUILD LINK: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484260

Last edited by Stewart; 01-15-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:32 AM   #3
Gossamer

Thanks Stewart. Looks like I've got some hard choices to make. Or the tire rides in the back seat, or a I gotta buy an actual temporary spare.

Love the car, hate these little issues with them. Than again I rode 2 wheels for decades and only got stranded once waiting for a tow.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
Stewart

You are welcome Gossamer Maybe this will work for you? I did not see any where about not fitting in a vert but I am sure you can give them a call.

Product page:

https://performancespare.com/index.p...&product_id=70

home page:

https://performancespare.com/index.php

Old 01-15-2018, 12:30 PM   #5
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
You should be able to fit a spare FRONT tire in the trunk, but not sure about the convertible aspect of things. (Yes, the fronts fit the rear hubs just fine) The fronts are only 8" wide, whereas the rears are 9" wide. It's an extra inch, it may just be enough.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
Gossamer

I'm aware of the spare kits but I think they're overpriced and still leave me with an 18" temporary tire that doesn't come close to matching the 20's on the RS.

Then that leaves you the fun of having to hunt down a replacement tire in whatever area you're in.

I'm trying to match the tire so that it's not a dire need(ie. vacation interruption).

I have 2 extra rear rims with tires right now. I'd prefer to put those on since they're better condition than my current OEM's and relegate one of my current's to spare duty(remember those good ol' days?)
Old 01-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #7
Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
I'm aware of the spare kits but I think they're overpriced and still leave me with an 18" temporary tire that doesn't come close to matching the 20's on the RS.

Then that leaves you the fun of having to hunt down a replacement tire in whatever area you're in.

I'm trying to match the tire so that it's not a dire need(ie. vacation interruption).

I have 2 extra rear rims with tires right now. I'd prefer to put those on since they're better condition than my current OEM's and relegate one of my current's to spare duty(remember those good ol' days?)
I know what you mean. Sounds like the back seat option is looking like the route you may need to take.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #8
Stewart

Or do this

Old 02-11-2018, 07:04 AM   #9
pincoin
Camaro owner since 1982

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS-RS Conv IBM L99
There is hardly any room in the trunk with the top down.
pincoin is offline   Reply With Quote