Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
What to do with old rims?

Ok, so in the very near future I will be upgrading to some 20" rims. I haven't decided for sure, but I'm thinking about either a package deal from Factory Reproductions style 41 wheels, or American Racing Torq Thrust (if I can find 'em).

I'm currently running the 19" silver painted wheels w/stock tires and I have a whole other set with snow tires. When I upgrade, I plan on getting rid of one set of wheels - probably the less desirable ones - and keeping my set of snows.

What is the best way to get rid of the rims? It seems like most everyone wants to go up and not down... If I go through a local shop is there a way to get "credit" for the rims and tires that come off?
Old 10-19-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
Edzo

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 63 Impala
Why not keep both? Apparently, Pirelli's are no good in the snow. Still waiting to find out. If you already have two sets of rims, it makes a simple good/bad weather swap easier. Let me know, I'm interested in buying a second set.
Edzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Edzo, please don't try to drive the pzeros in the snow.

OP I would keep both sets.

I have my stock set rims and tires in my attic.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
dcoates18481

Drives: 2010 CAMARO RALLY YELLOW SS/RS/M6
Pirellis are a summer tire.
Around 45-50 F they start to harden up and traction becomes a problem.

Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam Kit, Melling oil pump, C5R Timing Chain, Dyno Tuned by Shawn@Lethal Racing, Vararam Tuned intake, Vararam Power Wedge, LSR Tri Ax Short throw Shifter, VMAX Ported T/B, TSP 2" L/T Headers, TSP Cat delete, Borla axle back exhaust, Innovate A/F monitor, 471.7 HP/438.8 TQ
dcoates18481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Guys.....you missed what Terry is saying......he already has a second set of tires with snow tires on them......He is talking about what to do with his set that has the summer tires on them.

Terry, what I would do would put them up for sale, as there are plenty of guys ( like edzo ) that would like to buy to put winters on them so they can have a an extra set just like you do.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Guys.....you missed what Terry is saying......he already has a second set of tires with snow tires on them......He is talking about what to do with his set that has the summer tires on them.

Terry, what I would do would put them up for sale, as there are plenty of guys ( like edzo ) that would like to buy to put winters on them so they can have a an extra set just like you do.
What he said .
Old 10-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
You should have bought winters for your stock wheels and got a new sew for summer.

Hitting 2 birds with one stone just my. 0.02

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
That's essentially what I did / am doing. Found a guy with a set of stock 19" wheels with snow tires already on them last year and got a free set of Pirelli's on top of that. When I get my bonus from work I'll be buying a brand new set of wheels and summer tires - which gives me 3 sets.

I guess I'll toss them up for sale on here, whats a good starting price for the 19" painted silver wheels that come on the 2010 Synergy?

Out of 8 wheels only has a bit of curb rash, one has some rock chipping and the rest are excellent. I'd be getting rid of 4 of them... ideally I'd keep the nicest looking ones for my snows but that's negotiable.

Edzo, if you're interested I'm maybe a month away from taking summer wheels off. As soon as I make the switch, it would be nice to get the extra wheels out of the garage so I can actually park. In my experience, the Camaro is not too bad in the snow - with snow tires LOL!. The stock Pirelli's are really terrible in cold weather, but with snow tires I do just as well as the subaru crowd. I work in Marlborough, MA and live in CT if you're close enough we could meet up sometime soon?
Old 10-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
Just sell it through craigslist don't expect too much and it will sell really quick specially it's winter season people will be getting winters for their cars

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote