Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
MPG1959

Drives: 2012 45th SS
Lost power after installing flowmaster

Seems like I lost low end power after installing a flowmaster axle back. I used the american thunder AMT Pro Series with the hush power mufflers. Not enough back pressure or to much?

Thanks
MPG1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
At first I thought I lost some low end after putting on my outlaws but give them a bit of time for ecu to adjust. Mine are race mufflers so no restrictions, so might have.Now I really dont notice it.I do know when I added my resonated x pipe in for awhile it picked up bottom end.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
Kiowa88
Out Front!

Drives: OH-58D (R)
A loss in back pressure, from what I've seen, takes power from the bottom end and move it up top. I've gone from no muffles, to having the exhaust dump after the headers.

You can feel the car pick up some more balls on the bottom end when I'd increase the back pressure with a more restrictive muffler. The opposite would happen if I freed up some back pressure by chopping the mufflers off.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
MPG1959

Drives: 2012 45th SS
I'm thinking about removing the resonators and see if I gain or loose bottom end.
MPG1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPG1959 View Post
I'm thinking about removing the resonators and see if I gain or loose bottom end.
I removed mine to see how loud the outlaws would be. Didnt notice any bottom end differences, only louder! I did notice a bottom end increase, or more throttle responce with a resonated x pipe but that made the car to muffled.might try regular x pipe.Maybe reason all catbacks have one
Old 02-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
CAMARO 11

Drives: 2011 CAMARO SS
I also need advice, just had a SLP loudmouth axle back put on my car yesterday with resonator deleted with X pipe. On mod i only have BBK cai that's about it on mod because of waranty
which i dont want to void. Been reading and hearing about back presure do you think i made the right choice, it's a lot louder now but the power i am not sure if it made a difference.
CAMARO 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMARO 11 View Post
I also need advice, just had a SLP loudmouth axle back put on my car yesterday with resonator deleted with X pipe. On mod i only have BBK cai that's about it on mod because of waranty
which i dont want to void. Been reading and hearing about back presure do you think i made the right choice, it's a lot louder now but the power i am not sure if it made a difference.
M6 or A6? You may have picked up power, most think not but probably a few.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Didn't you guys know? There is no such thing as back pressure. Turns out it was all just a myth from the carb days. Oh, and exhausts do not make any difference in performance at all...but that is only true for the 5th Gen Camaros. Every other car on the planet it does. Not this one tho. Your buttometers must all be way off...lol!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Didn't you guys know? There is no such thing as back pressure. Turns out it was all just a myth from the carb days. Oh, and exhausts do not make any difference in performance at all...but that is only true for the 5th Gen Camaros. Every other car on the planet it does. Not this one tho. Your buttometers must all be way off...lol!!
Old 02-09-2013, 02:00 AM   #10
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Shows just how much you make stuff up and only hear what you want to hear. As usual, you're dead wrong. NO ONE said there's no such thing as backpressure. We said your car doesn't need nor want it. As far as exhaust making HP, you fail to see the simple truth in that 2.5in dual exhaust with straight thru mufflers is MORE THAN plenty to handle what a stock to moderately modded LS3 can put out. If other companies were to use big enough tubing with low restriction mufflers, they wouldn't gain HP from aftermarket exhaust either.

Why didn't you add in that the REAR O2 sensors play a intrical part in tuning? Oh, I guess you learned your lesson on that one.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #11
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Shows just how much you make stuff up and only hear what you want to hear. As usual, you're dead wrong. NO ONE said there's no such thing as backpressure. We said your car doesn't need nor want it. As far as exhaust making HP, you fail to see the simple truth in that 2.5in dual exhaust with straight thru mufflers is MORE THAN plenty to handle what a stock to moderately modded LS3 can put out. If other companies were to use big enough tubing with low restriction mufflers, they wouldn't gain HP from aftermarket exhaust either.

Why didn't you add in that the REAR O2 sensors play a intrical part in tuning? Oh, I guess you learned your lesson on that one.
Uh oh, someone got a little sore. Taking things a little personally, eh Axis?? Didn't see the "lol" at the end of my statement, eh Axis? And for the record (since you like to bring up the past), if you were to go back and read my comments to which you are referring to...you'll see where I mentioned that I thought you were talking about the front O2 sensors. And you'll see not only where I mentioned that but also acknowledged that I misread what you were saying. Lighten up a bit...it ain't that serious...
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Uh oh, someone got a little sore. Taking things a little personally, eh Axis?? Didn't see the "lol" at the end of my statement, eh Axis? And for the record (since you like to bring up the past), if you were to go back and read my comments to which you are referring to...you'll see where I mentioned that I thought you were talking about the front O2 sensors. And you'll see not only where I mentioned that but also acknowledged that I misread what you were saying. Lighten up a bit...it ain't that serious...
Not sore, just felt that was aimed directly at me since i'm the one that usually hits the "my car needs backpressure" threads. I rarely take anything said in a internet chat board as personal. I just hate seeing misinformation being posted as truth.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
CAMARO 11

Drives: 2011 CAMARO SS
yes it's M6
CAMARO 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #14