Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
sparaz
867-5309

Drives: 2010 CMG RS & 86 black Z28 3rd gen
Clutch replacement V6

The other thread got me off on this one... Apparently my clutch is going out already after less than a year and the dealership is calling it a wear item. Never had a clutch go out on me before but yeah brand new car already going out. Regardless, they are quoting 1300 for work and parts. I'd prefer not to go to them for that price...

Beyond how pissed off I am at this situation, anyone know where I can find a stock V6 clutch kit or an affordable after market one? i'm dropping escrow on a new place soon and need every dime I can save.
sparaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

Drives: Mikes Hard Lemons
You have any friends that could help you swap it? The last one I did wasnt too bad if you got jackstands, a jack, and somewhere to make a huge mess when the driveshaft slides off on accident.

If I remember right there was only one bolt on the T5 that was a PITA and needed a wobble impact socket. Not sure how tough the LLT is to pull. You can get a GM login via AC Delco and login to the GM technet and see what it takes, but they charge you $20 for a 3 day login.
CAMAR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #3
sparaz
867-5309

How long did it take you?
Old 08-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
muffinman2030
do you know da muffinman?

Drives: RS 2LT '10 Camaro RJT
I just ran into the same problem. 13.8k miles and the clutch is almost gone. This ain't my first stick shift and never had one go out on me so damn quickly.

They won't warranty it because it's a wear item and they want almost $1.4k to fix it.

All the suggestions I find on a new clutch and/or flywheel are in reference to a SS which neither of us have. So I too am curious what clutch and flywheel are suggested for our beloved V6 camaros.
muffinman2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:54 AM   #5
sparaz
867-5309

Well, i've found out when my brother had it he downshifted it a few times more than he should have, but he only had it for three weeks so i'm not sure if that was it or not. Can't find ANY aftermarket one for it at all, so I have to go stock GM replacement and I looked at it in person ... it is small. The v6 clutch kit is a tiny little sucker. I might have to think about upgrading the whole system entirely in the long run cause i'm not surprised a tiny little thing like that cant handle much of anything.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:31 AM   #6
muffinman2030

EDIT: was tired.. missed that it is specific to LS.

I am so frustrated with GM's 100k mile "warranty" but I suppose it is possible my driving style did destroy their weak clutch.

In any case, I have done significant research and finally think I found a couple companies that make highly recommended products compatible with our 3.6L engine and AY-6 tranny.

Monster Clutches
http://www.monsterclutch.com/gm.html

Hendrix Engineering
http://hendrix-engineering.com/hendr...eering_002.htm

Going to give them both a call Monday or Tuesday to see if they believe their products will work in our cars.

Please let me know if any of you have had good/bad experiences with either of these companies or know that none of their products are compatible.

Have a good one,
-mm

Last edited by muffinman2030; 08-23-2010 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #7
muffinman2030

both vendors say they are in the process of making products to suite our v6 cars. :/
Old 08-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Just because something is a wear item, doesn't mean that it can't "prematurely wear". Technically every item on the car is a "wear item".

this is where you have to look inward, and ask yourself; "Did I abuse the clutch or not?" If you did not, then I would suggest going higher up the GM chain of command.

Good luck.

Last edited by jrc1122; 08-24-2010 at 02:54 PM.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
WayneBrady
Super Mario Racing

Drives: 2013 Ashen Grey 2SS/RS M6
some poepl talked about getting corvette cluthes/brakes in their camaros. Can we do that for our v6's? will it void warranty?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:32 PM   #10
sparaz
867-5309

You can only void your warranty on items that aftermarket parts effect. I.E. usually a cold air intake only assists with intake and doesnt usually affect anything in the warranty... while if you installed a turbo charger/supercharger the extra work on engine could potentially be the reason that many other parts fail (and they can attribuite it to all of those parts if any of them do fail). But that doesnt mean they wouldnt have to replace a faulty stereo system, or standard recall item.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
khabboub
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: Sold c7, in the market!
so am i to believe that i have to replace my clutch at 13K miles?
khabboub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #12
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
I hope not.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Here's an interesting conversation i had with a layer out of philly last month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMonheit
OK. Thanks for offering to post. I am happy to field emails, calls, and to gather information. We want to see a recall issued. So far it has been only addressed as one person here and one there comes forward. Seems that is how GM would want it, so they don't have to foot the bill on a recall and can just adress it for people who are bold enough to come forward. But since safety is at issue, we think a recall is warranted. Thanks for your help. If possible, can we talk, or would you be willing to speak to my law partner who is actively working on this issue?
-Michael Monheit, Esq.
866-761-1385
mmonheit@anapolschwartz.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake
If there's a problem with our clutches then it should be posted. I'll leave out some of the details you sent me and just say your are looking into a possible defect in some of the v6 clutches. Rather than accusing GM of knowing of a problem, and they're not doing anything.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake
Quote:

You are not alone on the clutch problem. There is a known problem with the V6 manual clutch. We are investigating this right now! Our reserach shows that the clutches on V6 manual transmission on Chevrolet Camaros are disintegrating with low miles and no abuse. GM knows of problem but is not recalling. Problem is potentially dangerous, because if clutch goes out at the wrong time, big trouble could ensue. I am a lawyer and we want to hold GM accountable for this known problem that they are refusing to recall. People's lives are at stake. It is a safety issue as far as we are concerned.

If you want to discuss this with me, please email me: mmonheit@anapolschwartz.com or call me at 866-761-1385 (which goes directly to my cell phone!). I hope I can be helpful to you with this. I am not charging you any fee for discussing this with you, so no worries at that end.

I am most interested in finding others instances where the clutch has disintegrated rapidly without misuse and to put that data together with others who we know have had this problem.
Why didn't you post his on the main thread? Am I the only one you pm'd?
I have PM'd others who seem to be having the problem. But I always hesitate to post things like this publicly on threads just because I am worried how people will respond to something like this, so I would rasther start out with individual discussions, where I can try to help those people directly and gather more detailed information. Sometimes threads get out of control and people over react. So I try not to go that route at first. But if you think this should be reposted, I am ok with that. Or we can discuss and see if we can help you. Either is fine.
-Mike
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
x7productions
x7productions.com

Drives: 2010 BMW E92 3-Series Coupe
Send a message via Skype™ to x7productions
Quote:
Originally Posted by khabboub View Post
so am i to believe that i have to replace my clutch at 13K miles?
Well, I'm at 10.5K.
I'll let you guys know in about a month if I have to replace mine
And I've only owned the car for 9 months so far... So if it goes out early, I'll demand a replacement, seeing as how I don't race my car or anything.

Go like our Facebook Fan Page!
http://facebook.com/x7productions/
x7productions is offline   Reply With Quote