Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #57
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_ View Post
I can respect that, since you did upgrade from the SS basic to an SS 1LE, and it is your car and it sounds like you spent enough time in the SS basic to make an educated experience. As far as more opinion than experience, my experience is having done enough go-fast stuff in previous platforms and actually racing on the circuit, and my opinion is that my SS won't pose a big problem for me as I stage the mods and track it as the building goes. At the end of the day will I hit myself in the head and say, "Damn! I could have had a 1LE!" I don't think so, but that's me, and back on my original stance, I got an SS because I knew that mods were coming and why buy something that can be surpassed? No offense, but that's my take, and I respect yours.
Was not directed at you. Your post reek of experience. I like when people say "if you're performance minded" does anyone get an LS3 SS with no thought towards performance?

If anyone is in the market for an SS and money is an option... forego the RS and the 2 and get the 1LE! It changes the car that much for the better.

Mine is a daily driver and the zl1 STS mated with the MN6 makes it a pleasure. My old setup (2011) with the Hurst was unpredictable and impossible not to grind second with shifts above 3000k.

tramtwo posted this on the go
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #58
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
I was actually going to trade mine to a 2013 2SS 1LE justrrecently and I had a week to let them know. They actually gave me a sweet deal. They were giving me 32k for my car and said I can return it all to stock and keep my parts, which I would of reinstalled on the new 1le and they were giving me a 1000 cash back incentive.
In the end I decided to not do the deal cause I really wantto wait and see what the 6 generation is going to be!!!
With all that said if I was buying a camaro for the first time all over again it would definitely be the 1LE!!
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #59
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_ View Post
Man! That blows! Especially for something that was near and dear to you, and I bet you knew every little nuance and finicky point of that car... like it drove by itself. You probably never even looked at the gauges much because you could tell what was going on just by feel and sound.

There's a guy near my place that has an FC shell. He won't sell it. Being in the desert environment, the thing has no rust.
Yeah... but I will eventually get there in my SS. I've been speaking with a few suspension guys (such as JusticePete, others running Pfadt, etc.) and have a plan of attack in making my SS feel just as right in my hands as my old car did. I just have to save my money up now. I don't feel like I need much in terms of power for this car (maybe bolt-ons eventually). I'm learning the limits and nuances of the SS little by little

I miss the overall balance of the rotary, but I love my SS... and they have some of the same "finicky points" though. Definitely no turbo lag anymore though, and a big adjustment in having a v8 with plenty of torque as opposed to a rotary with no low-end, but learning to keep boost up in the 7 and not bog down was a trick in itself.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #60
fgg60
Sweet Annie!! BRM

Drives: '13 2SS/RS 1LE BRM NPP CF5
of the people who posted in the "orders" forum that they had a TPW of this week (2/25). over 75% of them were for 1LE orders....
just sayin'..

fgg60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #61
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS55 View Post
I was actually going to trade mine to a 2013 2SS 1LE justrrecently and I had a week to let them know. They actually gave me a sweet deal. They were giving me 32k for my car and said I can return it all to stock and keep my parts, which I would of reinstalled on the new 1le and they were giving me a 1000 cash back incentive.
In the end I decided to not do the deal cause I really wantto wait and see what the 6 generation is going to be!!!
With all that said if I was buying a camaro for the first time all over again it would definitely be the 1LE!!
That would have been a great deal! They didn't care you did all those mods with a custom tune? They wouldn't have been able to sell the car with a powertrain warranty, even if you flashed it back to stock.
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #62
Ken_
Tally Ho!

Drives: 13 2SS/RS 6M, 05 Mitsubishi Evo 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by malave7567 View Post
Yeah... but I will eventually get there in my SS. I've been speaking with a few suspension guys (such as JusticePete, others running Pfadt, etc.) and have a plan of attack in making my SS feel just as right in my hands as my old car did. I just have to save my money up now. I don't feel like I need much in terms of power for this car (maybe bolt-ons eventually). I'm learning the limits and nuances of the SS little by little

I miss the overall balance of the rotary, but I love my SS... and they have some of the same "finicky points" though. Definitely no turbo lag anymore though, and a big adjustment in having a v8 with plenty of torque as opposed to a rotary with no low-end, but learning to keep boost up in the 7 and not bog down was a trick in itself.
I hear you! I'm pretty comfortable with my SS and what the sweet and sour spots are, and my first stage is just like you. I'm going full out on suspension and chassis tuning with Pfadt (Road Racing/Stage 5 ZL Spec) and Moroso/Competition Engineering (Sub-frame Connectors/Drive-shaft Hoop). I want my SS to feel like it's on rails. Power-adders will be later as I track the car. Just with suspension mods alone, we'll be able to channel that energy from the crank with more efficiency. So much is lost in usable HP from loading and unloading on the chassis, and having to throw in more steering/throttle inputs is no fun just to maintain a certain arc and trajectory.

Yeah... the rotary cars were pretty well balanced. I got rid of my FD3S because I got tired of changing apex seals (those things hate detonation), and if I didn't blow them, 60K miles crept up pretty quick, hence another rebuild and changing out the seals in the process, but that HKS T-51R Kai was snail-loads of fun

You're right, though, the V-8 is a pleasure to have with torque.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #63
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning?
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #64
stickystuff

Drives: 1LE ordered
1LE is GOD!!!
'87 Corvette, 91 Corvette, '93 Corvette, '97 Corvette, '03 Corvette Z06
'94 Supra TT
'96 911 993
CURRENT
'04 BMW M3
'82 BMW 320i
'05 H2

stickystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #65
2Devious

Drives: 2013 SIM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE NPP NAV
I traded a 2010 1SS for a 2013 2SS 1LE.

I wasn't convinced it was a sound trade until I went and drove a 1LE.

I started the search for the 1LE I wanted immediately and traded in the 2010 in 2 weeks.

Yes, the extras from going from the 1SS to the 2SS were nice, and then getting the HUD and the Electric PS and the NPP option was very nice. But I could instantly feel that the car was more performance orientated because of the suspension and the gearing.

If the 1LE had been available in 2010 when I bought my first Camaro ... I would have gotten the 1LE.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:19 AM   #66
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfansince73 View Post
That would have been a great deal! They didn't care you did all those mod with a custom tune? They wouldn't have been able to sell the car with a powertrain warranty, even if you flashed it back to stock.
Yeah it was definitely a great deal.. I do love mine but I kinda of regret it but I was just trying to not be impulsive for once in my life cause I have to see what this 6 generation is going to be!!
As far as the mods Yea.....I thought that pretty weird as well but apparently they didn't care and I wasn't about to question it.
Don't forget every dealership treats mods differently!!
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #67
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Actually the question the OP asked is if it was worth upgrading. That means selling his at a loss and then paying retail + 1LE upgrade. I'm sure most that have already done this would not say it was a bad move. Ultimately it will be up to the OP to decide if the money difference is worth the performance....especially if he doesn't race much.

For me, I've modded mine too far to take the hit. Camaros in general have gone up in price from what I paid ($31.5k for 2SS). So, to sell mine and have to add another $10k or more just to get the 1LE in stock form is not worth it for me. Again, that's my situation.

I too would like to have the HUD, backup camera, and power passenger seat. All those can be added aftermarket and I plan to eventually do them. I know that at this point my car will already do everything I want at the moment (fun at the drag strip, fun at Auto-X, fun from stop light to stop light) so IMO an upgrade is not worth it.

I think pretty much 90% of owners on here would agree that if you were going to buy a new SS then the upgrade to the 1LE is going to be worth it if you are performance minded or if you do a bunch of Auto-X or Road Race.

If I were the OP I would go see what a dealer would give you in trade, the price for a new 1LE and figure out your loss. Then figure out what it's going to cost you to do some upgrading like coilovers, swaybars, and gears. Then you can probably make a better assesment if it's worth it for you.
Well said... I am in too deep with my car, but would love a 1LE... I will find a set of the wheels eventually and be done with my build... I did consider dumping for a ZL1 though...

I would say this though, if GM made the LS7 available in 2014/2015 I would upgrade to a 1LE/LS7... :wink:
Old 03-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #68
5th_GEN_SS
Junkie

Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
Good I do thanks everyone for sharing.
Not sure I could part with my R6P SS.. May just wait a year and add to the garage
Old 03-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #69
Mr. Unassailable

Drives: 2010 2SS MT, 2010 SHO, 2004 S60R
Had I not of upgraded my 2SS/RS to what it is, I would make the trade for the in dash nav alone. Still blows my mind that the bowtie dropped the ball on that in 2010. I've got to much into my SS now to trade it in. If anything, I'll probably buy a GT500 when the SS is paid off.

- Clayton. Official C5Fail4 hater.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #70
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Wow I love this site... Although in this thread there is far more opinion than experience. Reminds me a little bit of the v6 vs SS threads.

The 1 LE performance package for the SS is simply put, the best bang for your buck in all of the auto industry.

I upgraded from an SS to an SS with the 1LE it is night and day and very worth it whether you track the car or not... the responsiveness and handling is head and shoulders above the stock SS.

tramtwo posted this on the go

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickystuff View Post
1LE is GOD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unassailable View Post
Had I not of upgraded my 2SS/RS to what it is, I would make the trade for the in dash nav alone. Still blows my mind that the bowtie dropped the ball on that in 2010. I've got to much into my SS now to trade it in. If anything, I'll probably buy a GT500 when the SS is paid off.
- Clayton. Official C5Fail4 hater.