Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #99
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys562 View Post
I was told Mothers Back-To-Black is pretty good to use.
Thoughts before I go out and buy it? It's only 6 or so bucks.
You started this thread in May and you're STILL asking for advice? What has Forgestar said? What has someone at Adams said? Here's some advice, try SOMETHING and then let us know if it worked!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #100
SAVDawg

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Not going to say what vendor on here did it, but they quoted me $3800.
I dont think tires are 2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
20" F14s should be around $1800.00 (before tax).
You might be including tires in your price.

Link to Deviate Motorports - listed as $1850 a set for 20" F14s (P.M. Nineball)
http://www.dv8motoring.com/
SAVDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #101
Andys562

Drives: Black 2011 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
You started this thread in May and you're STILL asking for advice? What has Forgestar said? What has someone at Adams said? Here's some advice, try SOMETHING and then let us know if it worked!
I was without my car for two months due to an accident.

I tried Mothers Back-To-Black and it's holding up! Cannot afford to get them PC'd again atm. Definitely cannot afford a new set of rims either.
Just looking for a solution.
Black Painted Heritage Grill, Emblem-less.
Black Rear Bowtie.
AAC P13 DRL's.
AAC License Plate LED's.
AAC Dome Light/Trunk Light.
AAC Tinted Sidemarkers.
AAC SMD Afterburners.
MRT V1 Exhaust.
PFADT 1.25" Lowering Springs.
Andys562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #102
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:

I tried Mothers Back-To-Black and it's holding up! Cannot afford to get them PC'd again atm. Definitely cannot afford a new set of rims either.
Sorry to hear about the accident! Sorry for being so hard on you with that post! Do you have any pics of how they turned out with the Back to Black?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #103
Hot Rod R1

Drives: 2011 White
Quote:

plastidip the wheels alot of vids on Youtube about it.
Hot Rod R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #104
Larz29

Drives: 2010 camaro ss LS3 cyber grey
So reading through this post I have to agree 100% with most of the people who replied. I also purchased a set of forgestar matte black wheels, and got the same response from Forgestar that it basically isn't their problem. When I recieved the wheels, there wasn't any warning lables, or wheel care or any paperwork for that matter in the set of wheels.

First off why wouldn't I take my car through the car wash if I wasn't told that it would ruin Matte black finish? That is just normally what people will do unless told otherwise.

For $1800 bucks they look like shit. I would not purchase anything from Forgestar again, mostly because of their customer service.

I get the arguement that some people will say you have to know these things, but when you don't have any expeirence with Matte how are you supose to know. So a friend of mine bought a Harley that has a Matte black finish, and they went over with him in detail about how he needs to care for his paint.

I can 'bandage' the wheels up with cleaners and such, but they will never have that matte look. So I am a very dissatisfied customer.
Larz29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #105
Andys562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larz29 View Post
So reading through this post I have to agree 100% with most of the people who replied. I also purchased a set of forgestar matte black wheels, and got the same response from Forgestar that it basically isn't their problem. When I recieved the wheels, there wasn't any warning lables, or wheel care or any paperwork for that matter in the set of wheels.

First off why wouldn't I take my car through the car wash if I wasn't told that it would ruin Matte black finish? That is just normally what people will do unless told otherwise.

For $1800 bucks they look like shit. I would not purchase anything from Forgestar again, mostly because of their customer service.

I get the arguement that some people will say you have to know these things, but when you don't have any expeirence with Matte how are you supose to know. So a friend of mine bought a Harley that has a Matte black finish, and they went over with him in detail about how he needs to care for his paint.

I can 'bandage' the wheels up with cleaners and such, but they will never have that matte look. So I am a very dissatisfied customer.
That's what I'm saying. You would think that paying for nearly $2,000 wheels, there'd be some type of warning or care instructions.
And for something as normal as a car wash to damage expensive wheels is just not right to me.
It should never be a thing "you were supposed to know." In my case, these were the first matte black wheels I've ever purchsed (the first matte black product, period.)
Screw Forgestar.
Black Rear Bowtie.
AAC P13 DRL's.
AAC License Plate LED's.
AAC Tinted Sidemarkers.
AAC SMD Afterburners.
MRT V1 Exhaust.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #106
Larz29

Drives: 2010 camaro ss LS3 cyber grey
Yep, I agree. I will never buy another set, nor recommend them to anyone I know.
Larz29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #107
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
My Forgestar wheels that I purchased last summer did come with a wheel care guide (that said to avoid harsh chemicals, car washes, etc).

My F14s are gunmetal and they seem to be holding up well to our local touchless car wash and my occasional cleaning. I've had some medical issues (broken ankle and torn tendon) so I've been using the automatic car wash near my house.

My car has been through the touchless automatic car wash at least 20+ times and my wheels still look good.

So I guess its their matt black finish that doesn't hold up very well. I guess I'll need to be very careful not to buy any matt black wheels.

I wonder how well Forgestar's textured black finish hold up to washes, etc?
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #108
Andys562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larz29 View Post
Yep, I agree. I will never buy another set, nor recommend them to anyone I know.
I think I might save up for those ZL1 replica wheels.
Or I might just plasti-dip these for now because I can't afford to get them re-powdercoated again.

But nonetheless, I'm really disappointed in the way Forgestar handled our situations.
Black Rear Bowtie.
AAC P13 DRL's.
AAC License Plate LED's.
AAC Tinted Sidemarkers.
AAC SMD Afterburners.
MRT V1 Exhaust.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #109
Easton091

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Thankfully I found this thread. My matte black f14s are being delivered today. I never take my car to a car wash and obviously wont in the future.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #110
Stitch

Drives: SS, CTS & SRT-4
I'm kinda curious why someone would be willing to spend the money on performance parts, but not be willing to find out what care was necessary to maintain them?

Would you also blame GM because they didn't tell you that you should't rub steel wool on your paint? I'm guessing that you'd be the same kind of person that wouldn't change your oil unless the car told you to ( thankfully for you, it does... ). If you snapped a bolt off in a head because you over-tightened it, would you blame the bolt because it didn't tell you what it should be torqued to? How about we just man up, assume some responsibility for our own actions ( or lack of knowledge ), and stop attacking a reputable manufacture for our own mistakes.

Forgestar, if you're listening, as a responsible automotive enthusiasts ( who also makes mistakes), I thank you for developing and providing our community with a quality product, that when properly maintained will look and perform just as well as the day you made them! ...and don't worry about including a mattress-tag on your wheels. The majority of us don't need it.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #111
Andys562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
I'm kinda curious why someone would be willing to spend the money on performance parts, but not be willing to find out what care was necessary to maintain them?

Would you also blame GM because they didn't tell you that you should't rub steel wool on your paint? I'm guessing that you'd be the same kind of person that wouldn't change your oil unless the car told you to ( thankfully for you, it does... ). If you snapped a bolt off in a head because you over-tightened it, would you blame the bolt because it didn't tell you what it should be torqued to? How about we just man up, assume some responsibility for our own actions ( or lack of knowledge ), and stop attacking a reputable manufacture for our own mistakes.

Forgestar, if you're listening, as a responsible automotive enthusiasts ( who also makes mistakes), I thank you for developing and providing our community with a quality product, that when properly maintained will look and perform just as well as the day you made them! ...and don't worry about including a mattress-tag on your wheels. The majority of us don't need it.

Rubbing steel wool on paint is so irrelevant to this whole conversation. "Would you run your car into a light post if no one stopped you?" Come on, man.
Changing the oil is also another irrelevant example; it's essential to the maintenance of the car.
Simply taking a car to something as normal as a car wash is a different thing altogether. THERE'S A CAR WASH ON EVERY CORNER WHERE I'M FROM. And I'm from Los Angeles. Performance cars with performance wheels EVERYWHERE. You're telling me none of these owners take their cars to the CAR WASH?

People pay hard earned money to buy these parts for their car. For something as simple and for something as typical as a car wash to ruin your wheels? NOT acceptable. So yes, we'd like a "mattress-tag" if that's what's going to let us know what we can and can not do wit these wheels.
Black Rear Bowtie.
AAC P13 DRL's.
AAC License Plate LED's.
AAC Tinted Sidemarkers.
AAC SMD Afterburners.
MRT V1 Exhaust.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #112
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

Rubbing steel wool on paint is so irrelevant to this whole conversation. "Would you run your car into a light post if no one stopped you?" Come on, man.
Changing the oil is also another irrelevant example; it's essential to the maintenance of the car.
Simply taking a car to something as normal as a car wash is a different thing altogether. THERE'S A CAR WASH ON EVERY CORNER WHERE I'M FROM. And I'm from Los Angeles. Performance cars with performance wheels EVERYWHERE. You're telling me none of these owners take their cars to the CAR WASH?

People pay hard earned money to buy these parts for their car. For something as simple and for something as typical as a car wash to ruin your wheels? NOT acceptable. So yes, we'd like a "mattress-tag" if that's what's going to let us know what we can and can not do wit these wheels.

Rubbing steel wool on your paint? - That's just ridiculous. But taking your car to a car wash is common place.

And as you mentioned. I live in a very upscale neighborhood with mostly doctors as neighbors. They drive anything from Bentlys to Porsche Turbos. You will never catch any of them washing their own cars.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote