Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-25-2017, 07:02 PM   #1
Adampau123

Drives: 2017 Red Hot 1SS 1LE
Coilover problems

I have had BC coilovers installed for about a month and everything has been fine..So I was starting to hear a weird noise in the rear end and come to find this... how does this even happen??
Attached Images

Adampau123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Normally I'd say that you get what you pay for with BC/Megan/K-Sport/etc., however in this case, is that the OEM damper mount that failed?

Next question is; do you have the ride height all the way down so you're bottoming out the damper all the time? Get the measuring tape out and prove it.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:25 PM   #3
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Normally I'd say that you get what you pay for with BC/Megan/K-Sport/etc., however in this case, is that the OEM damper mount that failed?

Next question is; do you have the ride height all the way down so you're bottoming out the damper all the time? Get the measuring tape out and prove it.
What he said.

Also a good pothole of the large size can do it.

Be nice if we could get a two piece urethane bushing for the mount.
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:46 PM   #4
Adampau123

I think when installing the coilovers the preload was set too high?? Causing this to happen? Hopefully will have that mount ordered through chevy and sent to the dealership I work at and fixed!
Old 10-26-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adampau123 View Post
I think when installing the coilovers the preload was set too high?? Causing this to happen? Hopefully will have that mount ordered through chevy and sent to the dealership I work at and fixed!
No, it doesn't work that way. Spring preload too high would mean A) the ride height would be high, adding compression stroke length and negating the exact failure mode you're showing, and B) you'd risk blocking the spring, which would put the weight of the car solely on the spring and not the damper. What I see here is you bottomed out the damper and shoved the weight of the car through the damper mount.

Do you have any damper stroke analysis during setup? What's the droop, ride, and compression heights? Are you bumpstop active at ride height?
Old 10-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
Adampau123

I'm not too sure on those things. The shocks were installed how they came in the box. I will say though that the holes at the bottom of it you can see through them therefore the shock is set very tall or High if you would..
Old 10-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #7
Adampau123

And will be getting fixed tomorrow. Oem strut had to be purchased just to get that mount..
Old 10-27-2017, 07:29 PM   #8
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
First case of this ive seen.. I personally have BC coils know 2 others and have talked with others on these forums... Before you put that new one in you may want to double triple check your install.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:03 PM   #9
Paddajapjeet

Drives: 2018 camaro 2ss 6speed
Installed BC coilovers and had the bushing pop out.

Hello did you ever figure out why the bushing popped out? I have coilovers on my car and the bushing popped out today and want to know if you figured out why it did that? Also can’t you just have a shop push the bushing back in? Thanks!
Paddajapjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #10
SSDanny

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
Hey, had this happen to me months back. Reason for it is unknown (pothole or a HARD launch with grippy tires probably), but nonetheless, DO NOT POP IT BACK IN. I did it, and it literally lasted two days. Sadly, you have to buy a whole new shock assembly for that little piece too. I was speaking to a mechanic, and he recommended getting plastic bushes instead of the rubber ones.

Definitely a OEM issue, and not so much a coilover issue.