Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-11-2018, 08:08 PM   #1
SSmoothie

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6SP Blk/Blk
Rust on rotors, sticking when car sits.

Ok, my stock rotors build up surface rust when washed or sitting for long period of time, I have to literally rev the RPMS and pop the cluch (6 speed manual), to get them unstuck, how well do the zinc rotors last for not seeing surface rust. Or whats the best coating to get. TIA
Old 02-11-2018, 08:33 PM   #2
Crash76
Team 913

Drives: '14 ZL1, '15 Jeep GC, ‘22 Ram 2500
Coating wont do anything, it will get wore off with the brake pads and will result in rust on the wear portion of the rotor

All rotors will rust when they sit, never heard of them getting stuck
Crash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:48 PM   #3
SSmoothie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash76 View Post
Coating wont do anything, it will get wore off with the brake pads and will result in rust on the wear portion of the rotor

All rotors will rust when they sit, never heard of them getting stuck
That's what I thought some rotors say they have rust protection. Brakes getting stuck search came out several others having the same problem. It wasn't to bad when I parked in the garage but this winter I had it parked outside for sometime. I don't drive it much so it will sit for a couple of months, I guess I'm going to have to get out and drive it more.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:40 PM   #4
seven_kittens

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
First thing I would check (and a fast/simple) check would be to see if your brake fluid reservoir is not overfilled?

What I’m getting at is that if there’s too much fluid it can make it difficult for the pistons in the caliber to set back in there respective pots. It would be a logical reason then, for the brake pads to “seize” with the rust forming on the rotors if they can’t settle back.

Just my two cents.

640hp/610 ft/lb
seven_kittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #5
SSmoothie

Thanks, I will check that.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:17 PM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
It isn't the amount of brake fluid. It is just a bit of rust. Iron in the rotors rusts as fast as you wash your car. Let it sit getting wet from weather and there is more rust. No problem. You'll fix it by driving.

Last edited by JusticePete; 02-12-2018 at 05:31 PM.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:27 PM   #7
chuckie669

Drives: 2011 ss
I've never heard of having to pop the clutch to get the car moving for oxidized rotors. would it hurt to lift up the car and spin all four wheels to make sure something isn't sticking?
chuckie669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #8
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmoothie View Post
Ok, my stock rotors build up surface rust when washed or sitting for long period of time, I have to literally rev the RPMS and pop the cluch (6 speed manual), to get them unstuck, how well do the zinc rotors last for not seeing surface rust. Or whats the best coating to get. TIA
It's not the brake pads getting stuck it's actually the Parking Brake assembly inside the Rear rotors that stick . I notice it after taking my car to the car wash. The next morning I can release the parking brake but it will still hold till the car starts to move . I can hear it pop loose .
Old 02-13-2018, 02:17 PM   #9
rvnmaniac

Drives: 2012 M6 ZL1. 2019 Altima.07 FJR1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
It's not the brake pads getting stuck it's actually the Parking Brake assembly inside the Rear rotors that stick . I notice it after taking my car to the car wash. The next morning I can release the parking brake but it will still hold till the car starts to move . I can hear it pop loose .
It's a rarity that i use the parking brake at all especially during the winter. But i can hear the brakes give a little pop when i start after the car has sat for awhile/days. Just a normal pull off is all it is for me and you can hear them release. Nothing near or as drastic as popping the clutch to release them.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #10
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
This sounds normal to me, I deal with the same thing.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:44 PM   #11
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvnmaniac View Post
It's a rarity that i use the parking brake at all especially during the winter. But i can hear the brakes give a little pop when i start after the car has sat for awhile/days. Just a normal pull off is all it is for me and you can hear them release. Nothing near or as drastic as popping the clutch to release them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
This sounds normal to me, I deal with the same thing.
Agree with both of you . I don't need to pop the clutch to get moving . I use my parking brake all the time .