Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-06-2020, 08:15 PM   #1
EvolutionReborn

Drives: Chevy Camaro LS
Brembo Brakes 4 Piston

So I have a 2014 camaro LS and wanting to put the Brembo brakes on it due to it being an inheritance from my father that wanted those brakes on them. He told me the front passenger or driver side wouldn't work with the car. I'm not sure as to why it won't work. Would anyone here know as to why? WOULD there by clearance issue with the rims? Or would I need to buy different parts to switch it out to make sure it fits?

Thank you for your help.
EvolutionReborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:27 AM   #2
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
It's very commendable that you want to honor your fathers request but unless you're doing some aggressive form of racing such as autocross, road racing or crazy fast drag racing the LS factory brakes are more than adequate. More knowledgeable folks than myself can chime in on the details but the cost and effort needed might not be worth it.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:21 AM   #3
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
I have assisted others in five full conversions besides doing my own, you will end up replacing the 6 cylinder calipers, rotors, brake lines, hardware, dust plates and master cylinder.

Many do this for the looks and a few for the increased and improved braking. Me, I done it because I honestly loved the look. This last conversion I did cost about $1,120.00, excluding the cost of the lift rental for 6 hours (6 @ $8.00). For that cost we actually had the calipers powder coated.

You will have to run at least 20" wheels on all corners in order to clear the larger Brembo calipers.

You will be going from a 12.6" rotor/single piston caliper to a 14" rotor with four piston Brembo.

If your serious about doing the conversion then I would suggest you take your time and put together a complete "kit", take no shortcuts! Use only new OEM hardware as all the bolts and nuts are "torque to yield", if you don't know what that means take the time to look it up.

When buying your calipers be careful about "junkyard" calipers, many instances that's exactly what your going to get, JUNK! There are individuals who are selling very nice sets, many right on this Forum, your not in a rush so look around.

I am attaching a picture of exactly what you need to do the entire conversion PROPERLY with no shortcuts. Other pictures to help clarify the parts needed.

Also attached a printable link for the step by step directions! I would suggest you print the directions off and read them several times so you have a understanding of what needs to be done.

In closing, when it comes to replacing the rear dust shields, some will say you can just take tin snips and cut the 6 cylinder ones down, not the proper way of doing the job. I would suggest getting them used off eBay, cost usually about $50.00 per side and will come with the e-brake shoes. Having the e-brake shoes attached to the new plates will make life much easier and save time.

Best of wishes in making your dad's dreams a reality, he is honored! Any questions ask away.

Larry
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Brembo brake install directions GM.pdf (2.36 MB, 556 views)
Old 11-07-2020, 06:24 AM   #4
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
You’ll need wheels that will clear the brembos. You’ll need 4 calipers, all the rubber brake lines (i don’t think the base brake lines will work with the brembos) all the hardware to assemble the calipers and brake pads. You’ll need 4 brembo compatible rotors and 4 brake dust shields and a master cylinder but i don’t think everyone changes that.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.

Last edited by DJ_BigC; 11-07-2020 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Buddy above me has a better post haha
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
There are some aftermarket 18" rims that can fit the Brembos and beyond, but they tend to be $$$.

If you upgrade to the stock 20's to fit the Brembos, your braking distance will be about the same as the smaller brakes with the stock aluminum 18's. The larger 20's will add more unsprung and rotational weight to the wheel/tire reducing any improvement the Brembos will most likely provide.

However, if you got to use them, then use them. Just think of them as a primarily appearance mod.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
EvolutionReborn

Drives: Chevy Camaro LS
Deputy347k9

Thank you for that information. I do have both the front and back for the left side. The OEM Chevy SS brembo brakes. I should be able to get them online from Chevy at a 25% discount due to my sister husband's father works for GM. I'm thinking of going with 20" rims as I want to make sure they clear and I think I have a set that would work with it. From from the company Niche(https://www.carid.com/niche-wheels/m...830081296.html)

Gonna have to paint the car white cause the Ashen Grey wouldn't work and I dont like the rims in chrome or black. I'll check on Chevy's website for a complete kit to get it all done.

I do have the left side brakes already both front and back. The OEM Chevy SS Brembo, so I might as well go through with it. My sisters husband's father works with GM so I can get a 25% discount with Chevy, I know they will sell the kit on their website. https://www.carid.com/niche-wheels/m...830081296.html I am looking at these rims for the car but will need to paint the camaro white in order for the rims to work with it. Cause Ashen Grey wouldn't work to well with it.
EvolutionReborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:27 PM   #7
mikeman
Banned

Good grief! If you have to repaint the whole car just to make the brembos work, maybe you should rethink that option. I think your father would probably understand.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:33 PM   #8
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Good grief! If you have to repaint the whole car just to make the brembos work, maybe you should rethink that option. I think your father would probably understand.
Agree. Maybe time to go buy a white SS.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:53 AM   #9
Deputy347k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_BigC View Post
You’ll need wheels that will clear the brembos. You’ll need 4 calipers, all the rubber brake lines (i don’t think the base brake lines will work with the brembos) all the hardware to assemble the calipers and brake pads. You’ll need 4 brembo compatible rotors and 4 brake dust shields and a master cylinder but i don’t think everyone changes that.
You are correct in saying you don't think the base line brake hoses will fit the Brembo brake setup, THEY WILL NOT.

Regarding needing 4 brake dust shields, you don't need the front shields, they are the same! Rears are different.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:57 AM   #10
Deputy347k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionReborn View Post
Deputy347k9

Thank you for that information. I do have both the front and back for the left side. The OEM Chevy SS brembo brakes. I should be able to get them online from Chevy at a 25% discount due to my sister husband's father works for GM. I'm thinking of going with 20" rims as I want to make sure they clear and I think I have a set that would work with it. From from the company Niche(https://www.carid.com/niche-wheels/m...830081296.html)

Gonna have to paint the car white cause the Ashen Grey wouldn't work and I dont like the rims in chrome or black. I'll check on Chevy's website for a complete kit to get it all done.

I do have the left side brakes already both front and back. The OEM Chevy SS Brembo, so I might as well go through with it. My sisters husband's father works with GM so I can get a 25% discount with Chevy, I know they will sell the kit on their website. https://www.carid.com/niche-wheels/m...830081296.html I am looking at these rims for the car but will need to paint the camaro white in order for the rims to work with it. Cause Ashen Grey wouldn't work to well with it.
Without 20" wheels the Brembo's will not work! Those are a MUST.

I don't believe Chevrolet is still selling the entire conversion kit, that was dropped years ago. Besides it was so so overpriced. You can build a mint powder coated kit (complete) for less than $1,500.00.

Being this is your dad's car and holds many memories for you "go for it"! How I would love to have one of my dad's cars!
Old 11-08-2020, 07:38 AM   #11
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy347k9 View Post
I have assisted others in five full conversions besides doing my own, you will end up replacing the 6 cylinder calipers, rotors, brake lines, hardware, dust plates and master cylinder.

Many do this for the looks and a few for the increased and improved braking. Me, I done it because I honestly loved the look. This last conversion I did cost about $1,120.00, excluding the cost of the lift rental for 6 hours (6 @ $8.00). For that cost we actually had the calipers powder coated.

You will have to run at least 20" wheels on all corners in order to clear the larger Brembo calipers.

You will be going from a 12.6" rotor/single piston caliper to a 14" rotor with four piston Brembo.

If your serious about doing the conversion then I would suggest you take your time and put together a complete "kit", take no shortcuts! Use only new OEM hardware as all the bolts and nuts are "torque to yield", if you don't know what that means take the time to look it up.

When buying your calipers be careful about "junkyard" calipers, many instances that's exactly what your going to get, JUNK! There are individuals who are selling very nice sets, many right on this Forum, your not in a rush so look around.

I am attaching a picture of exactly what you need to do the entire conversion PROPERLY with no shortcuts. Other pictures to help clarify the parts needed.

Also attached a printable link for the step by step directions! I would suggest you print the directions off and read them several times so you have a understanding of what needs to be done.

In closing, when it comes to replacing the rear dust shields, some will say you can just take tin snips and cut the 6 cylinder ones down, not the proper way of doing the job. I would suggest getting them used off eBay, cost usually about $50.00 per side and will come with the e-brake shoes. Having the e-brake shoes attached to the new plates will make life much easier and save time.

Best of wishes in making your dad's dreams a reality, he is honored! Any questions ask away.

Larry
Very impressive and informative post, Deputy. That’s what makes this a great source.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:14 AM   #12
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I would suggest upgrading the LCAs and sway bar setup while your there as well if the 14’s didn’t have the outboard sway bar mounts. Also join several of the FB groups you should be pick up a set off a part out or some doing a 15” conversion. If money isn’t really a issue maybe go Z06 6 piston front calipers front as well an the Caddy rotors. Also do stainless lines if really wanna do it right.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:26 AM   #13
Commission

Drives: Chevy Camaro LT1 RS
Can we get part numbers for the conversion. Thanks
Commission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:52 PM   #14
mikeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
I would suggest upgrading the LCAs and sway bar setup while your there as well if the 14’s didn’t have the outboard sway bar mounts. Also join several of the FB groups you should be pick up a set off a part out or some doing a 15” conversion. If money isn’t really a issue maybe go Z06 6 piston front calipers front as well an the Caddy rotors. Also do stainless lines if really wanna do it right.
I think the '12's on up all have the outboard holes in the rear LCA's.