Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-28-2018, 06:16 PM   #1
sgnilleh

Drives: 2016 2SS Automatic
Unhappy Slew of electrical issues in 2016 2SS: infotainment, blond spot assist, trunk release

Bulleted version:

- Purchased car (GM Certified Pre-Owned) 2 week’s ago from Chevy Dealership with drivers side headlight out and interior lighting not working

- Chevy dealership fixed under warranty (3 days ago) and told me the interior light issue was because of a wire caught on a screw

- 1 day ago I got an On Star anti-theft triggering alert even though my car is almost definitely untouched; burning smell inside car, almost certain the smell of a blown fuse; trunk is popped; display in front of steering wheel says “service - side detection system”; blind spot alert on side view mirrors not lighting up at all

- Today infotainment completely turns off, black screen; realize I cannot open trunk any way other than the emergency release from inside the trunk

- Really worried the previous owner got rid of the car because they had electrical issues that couldn’t be fixed (lemon)

- Factory warranty runs out in about 200 miles

- I am taking it to the dealership tomorrow to have it looked at but I am freaking out in the meantime

——————

Slightly more detailed version:

I purchased this car (GM Certified Pre-Owned) 2 week’s ago from a Chevy dealership. I realized after I had driven it home (after flying to Ohio to pick it up then drove it 8 hours back) that my drivers side headlight was out and all of the interior dome lights were out. I took it to the Chevy dealership near me and they replaced the headlight and determined the other lighting issues were electrical and not dead bulbs. They said there was a wire caught on a screw and they fixed that and it was all fixed. That was fixed on Friday. Yesterday, Sunday, I got an alert from On Star that the anti-theft was triggered. I was near my car and went to look and nothing seemed to be wrong. I got in the car and smelled a burning smell, my guess is blown fuse. I turned the car on and the dash said “Service - Side Detection System” and I realized that my trunk was popped which I did not do. I figured maybe I hit it by accident somehow. I then realized while driving home that my blind spot alert was not working on either side view mirror. Today my infotainment system completely shut down, black screen and no way to reset it. I also realized now that I cannot open my trunk by the door button, the keyfob, or the button above the license plate. The only way to open it is through the emergency release from inside the trunk. I am worried that the previous owner got rid of the car because they had electrical issues that couldn’t be fixed, maybe it’s a lemon but I am praying it’s not. This is my first car I just bought for myself. Also the factory warranty runs out in about 200 miles and I know some things aren’t covered under the certified preowned bumper to bumper that the original factory warranty does cover. I am taking it to the dealership tomorrow to have it looked at but I am freaking out in the meantime.

EDIT: blind spot, not blond spot lol

EDIT 2: UPDATE - I discovered there is about 1/2" to 3/4" of water in my drunk from some sort of leak. The water is in the area with the fuze box under the (now moldy) panel on the trunk floor. I have to wait until Thursday for the dealership to look at it.

Last edited by sgnilleh; 05-29-2018 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Adding information
sgnilleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:31 AM   #2
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Blonde spottting assist system you say? =)

Make sure they keep it there until it stops or ask for an extension of the bumper-to-bumper coverage (if it is GM Certified Pre-owned, the B2B warranty is 48k total miles or 12k miles after purchased, whichever is longer).
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:38 AM   #3
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Hope you get it fixed under warranty. I agree that you should make them run it through tests to ensure no lingering problems before its return. Could be one of the vehicle grounds not properly tightened down. There is a thread about that.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:15 AM   #4
sgnilleh

The dealership can't look at it until Thursday. I found the source of the problem... There is about 1/2" to 3/4" of water in my trunk in the area with the fuse box. Now a major issue added to the list is that there is a leak to my trunk that results in water build up when it rains.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnilleh View Post
The dealership can't look at it until Thursday. I found the source of the problem... There is about 1/2" to 3/4" of water in my trunk in the area with the fuse box. Now a major issue added to the list is that there is a leak to my trunk that results in water build up when it rains.

Second time I've heard of something like this. For the other person it was their speakers going out all collectively at the same time.

I suggest lemon lawing it if you still can. Electrical problems are a nightmare to resolve.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #6
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnilleh View Post
Check the spoiler mount points. If someone added an aftermarket spoiler they may have drilled new holes and not sealed them up right.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #7
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan268 View Post
I suggest lemon lawing it if you still can. Electrical problems are a nightmare to resolve.
Lemon law is a dealer not fixing the same problem after 3 consecutive visits for the same issue.

If you have noted the problems to service before the warranty is up then you could drive another 5000 miles and they still are required to fix it.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:46 PM   #8
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan268 View Post
Second time I've heard of something like this. For the other person it was their speakers going out all collectively at the same time.

I’m an electrician and not even I want to mess with car wiring. Light it on fire and get a new one, car electrical wiring is indeed a nightmare.
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:21 PM   #9
sgnilleh

Any idea what's in store for me if I go the lemon law route? This is my first car and I'm just out of college, not very experienced at all with this type of thing. I'll do my research, but was hoping for input if anyone has some.

Would the fact that I purchased the car from a dealership in Ohio make it more difficult? (I live in PA)

Does it make anything better if the car is GM Certified Pre-Owned?

Is the water in my trunk a safety hazard for the future (next time instead of just the infotainment and blind spot it's the entire car somehow?) or is it just going to be a pain in the ass if it happens again?

I was told that the GM Certified Pre-Owned extended warranty doesn't cover all of the things that the factory warranty does cover, but it does cover most things still. I only have about 200 miles left on the factory warranty so would I be SOL after the factory warranty is up?
Old 05-29-2018, 03:23 PM   #10
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Slew of electrical issues in 2016 2SS: infotainment, blond spot assist, trunk release

I love this forum but if I had listened to everything people post, I wouldn’t have the car and I would’ve committed insurance fraud and a felony to get rid of it.

Look, you bought the car, it’s yours now.

If the dealership you purchased it from cares at all about customer service, they should’ve been the first place you called. If you speak to the sales/service manager, or even the general manager, and explain the situation, they may even be willing to have the car towed via flatbed back to them to address your concerns as well as provide you a rental during the downtime. I bought mine in IA and live in VA, and they were willing to do that for me.

If they aren’t willing to do that then your local dealership is all you can hope for.

Additionally, since you’re fresh out of school and, I’ll make an assumption here, funds may be tight, I would look into purchasing the Chevrolet Extended Protection Plan prior to your factory warranty expiring. If you financed your car, there’s a chance that your lender may have offered their own coverage as well. This would at least give you peace of mind for an extended amount of time.

Everything else is somewhat of a Hail Mary, akin to throwing spaghetti on the wall and hoping something sticks (i.e. complaining on social media, leaving bad reviews, etc.)

Right now you need to work on trying to get things resolved. I would start with the dealer you purchased from, not these forums, and moving from there. For what it’s worth, you may also want to open a case with GM so when you go to the dealership they at least have a case number to reference. You should begin to document your interactions (i.e. company name, associate name, date and approximate time) to add to your log

Hopefully, you’ll never need the aforementioned information and you can enjoy your car but if you ever do need it, you’ll have it on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by ecko04; 05-29-2018 at 06:41 PM.
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:24 PM   #11
tstrick9

Drives: 2020 lt1 gone: '14 2ss,16 2ss vert
in some states only the original purchaser has the applicable lemon law as a remedy.
also, if gm bought the car back from the original purchaser voluntarily it will not show that it was ever the subject of a lemon law complaint.

Last edited by tstrick9; 05-29-2018 at 08:10 PM.
tstrick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:35 PM   #12
Johnwon

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS, NPP, A8.
you mentioned the factory warranty runs out in 200 miles, but it's a CPO car. You'll have 12 months 12k miles and it will cover everything except maintenance stuff like batteries. If your lemon laws only apply to the original purchaser and the dealership won't buy it back since you just bought it, then I'd suggest working through all of the issues asap as they come up to ensure nothing new comes up after those are resolved.

We had a GM CPO car (not the Camaro) that the dealer we bought it from didn't do any of the stuff that they were supposed to. We took it in to our dealership who does all of our service on our GMs for a cooling issue and they replaced the water pump, but then also replaced an engine seal, the brakes, steering wheel, a speed sensor and a bunch of other things that either the other dealer didn't do as the certification process or missed. We got a heck of a good price on the car and once the stuff was taken care of, it's been a great car ever since. I won't buy another car from the dealer who we purchased the car from though knowing that they didn't do any of the stuff that they were supposed to do that our local one noticed with their initial inspection.
Johnwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:35 PM   #13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Slew of electrical issues in 2016 2SS: infotainment, blond spot assist, trunk release....

Sorry for your troubles, but that has to be one of the best typos of all time...good job....lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 2ss, blown fuse, electrical issues, infotainment, warranty