Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-26-2024, 02:09 PM   #1
knighti2

Drives: 2SS M6 Hot Wheels #515
Smart Driver Discontinued by Onstar/ GM

Just some news on the whole discussion of said topic:

https://www.gm-trucks.com/general-mo...vacy-concerns/

Stock intake (no porting) and stock NPP exhaust.
knighti2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 02:16 PM   #2
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
About effing time.

Of course, this is not due to some sudden enlightenment over at GM that this massive invasion of privacy was wrong. It is solely an economic decision; as in let's mitigate the public's anger and distrust and minimize our financial exposure to lawsuits.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:53 PM   #3
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
It's too late because now the insurance companies have driving habits from millions and will price that in to their insurance rates. Need a huge class action lawsuit on this one.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:56 PM   #4
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
I mentioned in another thread the discontinuation seemed rather abrupt/unplanned.

I wonder if it's because they can't determine who consented and who didn't, after vehicle owners were apparently re-enrolled in SD without their knowledge through app updates, etc. Talk about a corporate "oh shit!" moment if that's true.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 09:37 PM   #5
RIPws6

Drives: 2019 2SS Riverside Blue
Smart drivers have been discontinued for a long time. Getting harder to find these days.
RIPws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 10:05 PM   #6
KC64
Gray Ghost

Drives: 24 Camaro 2SS Loaded
They knew from the beginning I believe, and it is going to cost them big time!!! What gets me is I am afraid that policies will rise on certain cars, age groups, demographics, and what ever else they can fit into the bracket!! It was dirty pool and an underhanded way to gain information.

Right now they are having a giveaway and a person can get points each day by completing tasks. The first paragraph you read before joining is “we are collecting information but it is for us and blah blah blah” I deleted it and did not join the contest. So,, thru this current contest they are still gathering information but they let everyone know before one joins the sweepstakes or whatever game they are calling it!!!
KC64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 05:29 PM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Well it has been my insurance company AND their competitors that have asked if I want to turn this on to potentially save even more on my car insurance. It’s just easier than the dongle they used to want to plug into your OBDII port.

I think GM was a bit too secretive here but I can tell you trying to set it up on my VW it isn’t much different.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:01 PM   #8

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
In all these discussions about all this a couple of things come to mind. First of all, the genie is already out of the bottle. It's a no-win situation based on purely negative interpretations for the consumer IMO. Rates will get raised regardless with the rationale that "hey, we can't see how you are driving now, so we're gonna assume it's bad". What data they have now can't be unseen so they'll use it to make their future projections. If you don't volunteer your info, you portray yourself as a bad risk. After all, others "have nothing to hide".

Its a sign of the times. Big Brother is watching you. If he can't watch, you'll be punished somehow.

The glaring "bad stat" that I think is totally unfair is so-called "hard-braking" incidents. That is too subjective and I would say hard-braking may avoid accidents and actually be safer. How can they know either way?

Outside of a comprehensive nation-wide law protecting privacy and stopping review of driving behavior that has no consequences of tickets and accidents, (don't hold your breath) I believe we are basically screwed either way. The issue is at the forefront now, but sadly will likely be forgotten again in the near future.

The accepted belief is your privacy is everybody else's business. We have gone down the slippery slope already in so many areas that recieve no push-back. In fact, the hope of the corporations and government is that we will volunteer, or even pay, to have our personal rights, privacy and freedoms destroyed.

Good luck to us all.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 11:40 PM   #9
truckrglenn

Drives: Chevy camaro
Hell, in most states they're allowed to raise ur rates if ur FICO score changes.
Old 04-28-2024, 03:26 AM   #10
Deacon Blues

Drives: 2024 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
The glaring "bad stat" that I think is totally unfair is so-called "hard-braking" incidents. That is too subjective and I would say hard-braking may avoid accidents and actually be safer. How can they know either way?

Especially if you follow the brake burnishing instructions from GM. Smart Driver would go bonkers.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 07:44 AM   #11
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
I see the the app still allows you to enroll in Smart Driver. The option is still there.
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 10:08 AM   #12
knighti2

Drives: 2SS M6 Hot Wheels #515
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSShark View Post
I see the the app still allows you to enroll in Smart Driver. The option is still there.

"Accordingly, GM has not only ended the Smart Driver program but also any residual data sharing with the previously mentioned third-party companies as of March 20, 2024. The official termination of the Smart Driver service across all GM vehicles is slated to commence over the coming months, with a comprehensive unenrollment of all participants."

Probably why it will appear or whatever for a bit as it gets removed.

Stock intake (no porting) and stock NPP exhaust.
knighti2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 10:13 AM   #13
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighti2 View Post
"Accordingly, GM has not only ended the Smart Driver program but also any residual data sharing with the previously mentioned third-party companies as of March 20, 2024. The official termination of the Smart Driver service across all GM vehicles is slated to commence over the coming months, with a comprehensive unenrollment of all participants."

Probably why it will appear or whatever for a bit as it gets removed.
Makes perfect sense.
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 01:34 PM   #14
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by havelegs View Post
It's too late because now the insurance companies have driving habits from millions and will price that in to their insurance rates. Need a huge class action lawsuit on this one.
The cat is out of the bag, there are no regulations that require an insurance company to provide you service, I am shocked that insurance companies have not required OBD port readers just for the privilege of having insurance. It's coming and nothing can stop it.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote