Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #113
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
IMO they pushed the limit too far with the V6 engines, making them big to squeeze as much HP out as possible. They should have made a smaller, ~3.0L V6 from the get go with a single turbo. That would get great gas mileage and please the tuners. Way more power to be made out of a V6T than a Turbo 4. The current V6s engines are basically maxed out from the factory. Getting a V6 stock turbo means the manufacturer generally built redundancy strength in so there is a lot on the table.
That'd be sweet...I'd be all for that. A small Turbo V6 making say..340HP and 350TQ for a cheaper price than the SS and huge tunability if I get the itch. Sign me up!

But I still can't wait to see what the LGX V6 will offer.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #114
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
A 300HP turbo I4, a 450 HP twin turbo V6, a 500HP V8, and a 650 HP SC V8. Would make a pretty good lineup for the C6 Camaro.
Not likely GM will just add 30 HP to the brand new 3.6 TT or 40 to the all new LT1. But as I often say...........I hope you are right.

I think if you took an SS and added 30+ HP to the LS3 and simply dropped 200 pounds..............you would have a f$&@^%ing awesome car.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #115
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Look up 0-60 times for a ATS i4 turbo vs. a Camaro V6.

I think you're going to get a surprise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT Impala View Post
Malibu 2LTZ or 3LT is purported to have 0-60 time quicker than Camaro V6/A6. I own one of each, and the Malibu is surprisingly quick!
Exacty...so many guys call out the V6 for not having much torque, yet the i4 gets bashed for having less HP, when in fact it makes more torque over a broader ranger.

That is why a LIGHTER smaller turbo 4 can be a good performer in the 6th gen. I myself am more interested in the V6, but I can easily see the turbo performing very well. If the owner of the turbo 4 turns to an aftermarket tune...look out.

If you read the ATS magazine tests, the V6 always traps at a higher MPH in the 1/4 mile because it has a more powerful top end, but from a dig - 60 the turbo 4 holds its own. So look at it this way....from a roll the V6 will pull away from a stock turbo 4, but if you pull up next to one in your V6 at a light...its a pretty good fight.

I'd also wager a bet that in 0 - 60 times a tuned turbo 4 with its lighter weight and huge low end torque could give a stock V8 fits.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #116
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

I think if you took an SS and added 30+ HP to the LS3 and simply dropped 200 pounds..............you would have a f$&@^%ing awesome car.
Which we might end up with....should be amazing!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #117
c5z28
Banned

Drives: Camaro, Corvette, c10 pickup
Omg it would be so cool to see something similar to the LT5 come back and scream in the z28!!!
Those things were monsters. Saw an older guy at famoso that had 2 zr1s and ran 11.73 in one and 12.01 in the other.
c5z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #118
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Not likely GM will just add 30 HP to the brand new 3.6 TT or 40 to the all new LT1. But as I often say...........I hope you are right.
The TT V6 is nearly already there when you consider what it's putting down.

GM under-rating engines like the Germans - I love it.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #119
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
I love my v8s more than anything. That said, if they made a 2 stroke with 600 hp, I'd buy one if I could afford it.

Here's the deal. You want a v8. You got it. v6. Yep. i4. Yep to that too. All in the next generation Camaro. I have no inside information, but a next generation was no sure thing when the 2010 was launched. Kudos to GM and every buyer of the 5th gen for making the 6th gen a reality.

In the end, I don't care what's at the bottom of the option list. I care what's on top. Every base Camaro GM sells helps ensure another year of production and hopefully another generation.
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:16 AM   #120
Gregoryc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Blue Velvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
Wish they would turbo the 6 and not a 4. Money always talks though.
Making the Twin Turbo 6 available will compete too much with the V8 since it makes 420 HP in the CTS-V Sport
Gregoryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:22 AM   #121
Gregoryc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Blue Velvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by roorback View Post
What is the reason behind the turbo 4? If it's because of the Mustang then GM needs to stop copying everyone and start being a leader. I don't see a huge tuner market for Camaros and frankly I don't revel in seeing Camaro's/Mustangs reverting back to the iron duke days.
The Mustang had to get a Turbo 4 to cater to the Europeans since this is the first time the Mustang will be available world wide.
Gregoryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:34 AM   #122
1LE801
"Lohla"

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 :"Lohla"
Stick with the LS3. Go on a diet! Gimme A Z28 with LEDs!
Old 06-24-2014, 12:36 AM   #123
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Its using Alpha and the car is apparantly shrinking. Tell us how it won't be lighter?

May not be super light, but expect it to be right with or better than the 2015 Mustang.
The things people, and Federal regulations are demanding cars being built in the future are adding weight each generation. Unless GM goes down the road of using lighter/exotic materials, I would expect there to be a big weight difference between the 5th and 6th generations. If there is, it's likely to cost the consumer more to get it.

Last edited by titanfan; 06-24-2014 at 01:30 PM.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:40 AM   #124
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Even if the car heavier than that, it will benchmark against the EcoBoost Mustang. I've never known GM to intentionally offer an inferior product against a direct performance competitor.
Here is the funny thing about that, for Ford the V-6 is the base engine and the 2.3L ecoboost I-4 is an upgrade over the V6 Mustang. The V6 Mustang was stated to produce more then the current 305BHP and the ecoboost will be more then that.

For the Camaro the 2.0T is going to be the base engine and the V-6 is going to be the upgrade engine. This is going to be confusing for some people I am sure as they want to compare I-4 o I-4 and V-6 to V-6.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:00 AM   #125
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
"Government regulation" isn't an answer.

The V6 fuel efficiency is below the CAFE standards, and the V6's outsell the V8's what, 5:1? Sales of Camaros would plummet in general because far less people are interested in buying a V8-only car ~$4/gal gas, not to mention the significant initial cost increase. With so many less Camaro's sold, it would benefit your "regulations" argument - which isn't an argument to begin with, it's a straw man.

The fact is the less options that exist, the CHEAPER the car is to build. It doesn't matter if GM sells it for more - that is called margin. If GM introduces a 4 cylinder Camaro, one of two things will happen:

1.) The overall cost of the Camaro will INCREASE and GM will absorb the loss, taking a smaller margin to keep prices from increasing and keeping sales volume higher.

2.) The overall cost of the Camaro will INCREASE and GM will pass the increase costs onto the consumer, raising prices significantly.

The truth will probably be somewhere in between - GM will probably take a smaller margin AND prices will increase a bit to the consumer in hopes that the 4 cylinder option increases volume sales, leading to a higher net profit due to a larger gross sales figure to tap into. Either way, introducing a whole new motor is increasing the production costs.

8% of $2 million is more profit than 10% of $1.5 million. If you're going to cut your margin, you better be able to make up for it in sales. IMO, a 4 cylinder Camaro is a big mistake because the increased sales will not cover the cost of R&D'ing a car that doesn't fit AT ALL. A turbo 4 banger does not belong in a muscle car, and I think the public will realize this.
Yup. Plus I'm puzzled by the simultaneous claims of better performance, MPG and price of the I4 over the V6. Apparently the I4 is magical, like unicorns or something.

I'm sure reality won't rain on that parade at all...
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:53 AM   #126
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Those of you claiming more Camaros somehow magically increases cost are missing the whole point. By offering marketable options, the idea is to attract sales outside the normal scope of Camaro sales. A muscle car may not normally attract import buyers, but a lightweight (Alpha) car with a boosted small displacement engine and aggressive styling will. That means that the Camaro will be able to sell to current buyers plus small displacement performance buyers. You already have Camaros or at least an interest which is why you're here. If you're commenting here, you don't have to agree. You're already a sold car.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 camaro spy, 2016 camaro spy photo, 2016 camaro spy photos, 2016 camaro spy pics, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation