Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 08:23 PM   #43
ZL1 Spoked

Drives: Camaro ZL1
If you're gonna get a v6 might as well get an automatic and convertible top I always say..

just messing lol don't kill me

604 RWHP 602 LBS/TQ
Old 07-31-2014, 08:27 PM   #44
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99

2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 07-31-2014, 08:27 PM   #45
Dennis Northwest

Drives: 16 1SS A8 NPP
I had a 2LT for 3 years and it was more fun to drive in city traffic than my 2SS. In the V6 I could wind out second gear and have some fun. In the V8 I have to be more restrained because flooring it in second gear is a bit too much for the conditions that I drive in.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:37 PM   #46
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I just get right in there with them and love my car just the same as they do. I won't argue with them about if it is a muscle car or not. I just tell them to come to the drag strip & line up beside me. Yeah, I lose much of the time but I win a lot too. If I beat them one time, they hear about it, in a good hearted manner, thereafter. I have a blast win or lose. I tell them I am not delusional, I know they have more HP than me, but My Ruby is no slouch. I am proud of my Camaro and love & take care of it just like they do. I take her to car shows with my dyno slips & drag slips with me. All of us have bad azz looking and powerful Camaros. Can't we all just get along????????
Old 07-31-2014, 08:38 PM   #47
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris jd View Post
So, just like everyone else here, I absolutely love my Camaro. I am driving my dream car, I get happy every time that I see it, and I love driving it. It is a really beautiful and powerful car.

Muscle car enthusiasts like to have conversations with me because of it, and I think its great, but there always seems to be a huge letdown when I tell them that my Camaro is a V6. Okay, I understand that there is a history behind the V8 engine in a muscle car. Obviously it has more power. It is faster. You can do more to the engine. Awesome. I think that the V8s are wonderful vehicles, just like my V6.

My problem is when people feel the need to brag about the fact that they own a V8 and why it is so much better than my V6. I am not the type to brag about my car, if someone asks me about it, I'll answer their questions and talk about it, but I bought this car for myself and not others. I had a conversation the other day when I told someone that they had a nice muscle car, and his only reply to me was "yeah, but mine is a V8"(...I never said my car was better than yours). I also have other situations like that with similar dialogue too where people look down on me for not opting for a V8.

Is it okay for me to love my V6 Camaro, save $10k+, and be able to talk about it with people, or should I stay silent and avoid being looked down upon by the muscle car community for not owning a V8?

Does anyone else have this issue, or is it just me? Please weigh in if you own a V6 or a V8 so that I can get your side of it.
I understand why people buy the V6, its cheaper, cheaper insurance, cheaper to maintain and some people simply want a V6. But not me. And not too long ago 300+HP was only for V8's but not anymore, I get that.

I grew with Muscle Cars being V8, thats whats in my blood and if I couldnt afford the SS and had to purchase a V6 then I would buy a Impala, Fusion or Taurus.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:52 PM   #48
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
I'm with sstephen17, I couldn't afford to get the SS with all the bells and whistles. My payment would have been almost double. I thoroughly enjoy my 2lt 45th. However, I would have loved the 8. I rarely drive my car, but when. I do, it just feels awesome to me. I never wounded a sports car before. Maybe one day I plan on doing an engine swap or maybe the twin turbo kit. But for now, I paid my car off in 2 years, and if I would have had a beefier model, I'd still be paying it off. And the fact that I recently had a baby would have put an even bigger damper on my parade. I'm lucky enough to have my camaro and I leased a Cruze for everyday DD. I would have had to sell the camaro just to get an everyday car. But I'm very content for now. Plus, my car doesn't have that silly mail slot :-)
Old 07-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #49
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris jd View Post
So, just like everyone else here, I absolutely love my Camaro. I am driving my dream car, I get happy every time that I see it, and I love driving it. It is a really beautiful and powerful car.

Muscle car enthusiasts like to have conversations with me because of it, and I think its great, but there always seems to be a huge letdown when I tell them that my Camaro is a V6. Okay, I understand that there is a history behind the V8 engine in a muscle car. Obviously it has more power. It is faster. You can do more to the engine. Awesome. I think that the V8s are wonderful vehicles, just like my V6.

My problem is when people feel the need to brag about the fact that they own a V8 and why it is so much better than my V6. I am not the type to brag about my car, if someone asks me about it, I'll answer their questions and talk about it, but I bought this car for myself and not others. I had a conversation the other day when I told someone that they had a nice muscle car, and his only reply to me was "yeah, but mine is a V8"(...I never said my car was better than yours). I also have other situations like that with similar dialogue too where people look down on me for not opting for a V8.

Is it okay for me to love my V6 Camaro, save $10k+, and be able to talk about it with people, or should I stay silent and avoid being looked down upon by the muscle car community for not owning a V8?

Does anyone else have this issue, or is it just me? Please weigh in if you own a V6 or a V8 so that I can get your side of it.
I have a v6 too, and to be honest I just avoid the convos with people that don't have Camaros pretty much now, there's just no point. They don't see the logic in having a v6 as a DD, which mine is. I can understand a little flak (and don't even mind it) from people that actually have a SS, but I can only think of maybe one or two times that happened. I suppose it helps Im 24 and have a baby face, most of the time they just say Im doing good for where Im at in life, to even drive a 2011 Camaro in the first place.

That said, I'm still planning to get a v8 ASAP, but Im not putting myself into hard times for it.

I did get the pleasure of laughing at some dummy in SRT Challenger today, he was just slowly meandering in the left lane, until we hit these tight corners in my city. He could barely keep it in the lines, and I KNOW for a fact my car still had another 10-15kmh at least through them. He saw me laughing at him and blasted off in a hissy fit. It was kind of gratifying knowing my car costed half as much as his and could do just as well when the road twists a bit...
Old 07-31-2014, 09:01 PM   #50
Galts Disciple

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS (2SS, M6)
OP you spent your hard earned money on the car you wanted. Some people need to pump themselves up by knocking others down. Screw 'me, don't give them a second thought.
Rule #71: No excuses. Play like a champion!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:12 PM   #51
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Imho a camaro for a guy (male) is hands down V8. I would not consider a 6 in a mustang, chally, or camaro. I would just get a malibu or Altima (not putting anybody down). If gas is a concern just get a gas miser. A true sports car belongs with a V8. As a younger guy I would buy a different car other than a pony car if I could not get the 8.

This is only my personal opinion Im speaking on (the v6 camaro is not bad) but its also not a muscle or true sport car, it's a decent point a to point b means of transportation. Op if you like what you have to Hell with my or anyone elses opinion and enjoy your ride.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:25 PM   #52
angryv6
Lake Erie Monster

Drives: 02 Hyundai Santa Fe and 13 300
Put your flame suit on.^^
Old 07-31-2014, 09:29 PM   #53
Muscle Car Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Imho a camaro for a guy (male) is hands down V8. I would not consider a 6 in a mustang, chally, or camaro. I would just get a malibu or Altima (not putting anybody down). If gas is a concern just get a gas miser. A true sports car belongs with a V8. As a younger guy I would buy a different car other than a pony car if I could not get the 8.

This is only my personal opinion Im speaking on (the v6 camaro is not bad) but its also not a muscle or true sport car, it's a decent point a to point b means of transportation. Op if you like what you have to Hell with my or anyone elses opinion and enjoy your ride.
Im with ya but we will probably go down in flames over our choice...
Old 07-31-2014, 09:33 PM   #54
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
OP, you have a great looking car. I agree with the statement about them just making themselves feel better by knocking othe people's cars. You've got the car you want and that's all that really matters and that you are happy with it. I've had my butt handed to me at the AutoX by 4 cyl cars so it's really not about the number of cylinders.

Just remember not to beat up the 4 cyl Camaro owners when they start showing up in the future.
Also, take your car to an AutoX and you'll learn a ton about handling then you can call out some V8 cars and open a can of Whoop a$$ on them and that'll keep them quiet.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Old 07-31-2014, 09:39 PM   #55
Ole Gster

Drives: Mustang s197 , 08 F150screw
Just enjoy your ride , who gives a rats azz what anyone says about -2 cylinders . Sweet car , an enthusiast regardless of displacement .
Old 07-31-2014, 09:42 PM   #56
Muscle Car Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
OP, you have a great looking car. I agree with the statement about them just making themselves feel better by knocking othe people's cars. You've got the car you want and that's all that really matters and that you are happy with it. I've had my butt handed to me at the AutoX by 4 cyl cars so it's really not about the number of cylinders.

Just remember not to beat up the 4 cyl Camaro owners when they start showing up in the future.
Also, take your car to an AutoX and you'll learn a ton about handling then you can call out some V8 cars and open a can of Whoop a$$ on them and that'll keep them quiet.

I havent knocked his V6, I and many others simply prefer V8's, would you have bought your ZL1 if it had a V6 in it?, I doubt it. You most likely bought your Camaro for the V8 power and also how well they handle on the track.

Closed Thread