Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-14-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
Deam0n

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS (European Version)
Rear wheel drive help

Hi, Im 28, from Luxembourg and born in Portugal so all my life I've drove European cars with front wheel drive.

Now I'll get my Camaro and I'm a little bit scared because I never drove a rear wheel drive. Is there any difference (other than driving in snow)?

Is there any extra care to have in curving or braking or...?
Deam0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

Drives: 2015 Silver 1SS/RS M6
Any car can be difficult to drive in snow and ice conditions without proper tires or chains. But the only time you'll see a difference in normal conditions is when under power and making turns. It will want to slide out on you if you have too much power but that is what TC & ESC are for.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Just be careful punching it out of turns if the road is slick. You will get oversteer instead of understeer
Old 07-14-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
No, actually its almost the opposite for curves and braking. I drove FWD before mine, and theres time I will still brake even though I can actually hit the gas and go faster through curves>

Sports cars are RWD for a reason, generally they are "tougher" too.

These cars are AMAZING in snow, but you NEED winter tires. I was ripping past people with AWD and 4x4 all winter, and Im in Canada

Please read these, and do not worry. RWD sounds scarier than it is, what you're probably hearing is BS from people that have never actually driven RWD>

http://www.rearwheeldrive.org/rwd/rwdbenefits.htm

http://blog.motorists.org/pros-cons-...l-wheel-drive/
CocoaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Oh yes, just keep the TC and SC (Traction and Stability control) until you get more comfortable. I dont even use TC anymore (unless its slippery) and I can basically power slide around corners that you'd have to slow WAY down in any FWD car (unless you can E-brake)
CocoaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
notmidlife

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
Braking is going to be about the same. Steering coming out of a corner with heavy throttle will be different. Front wheel drive pulls the car around the corner when you nail the gas. Rear wheel drive does a push which sometimes will slide the back end. Keep the traction control on for a bit while you get use to the handling characteristics. I've driven with both for a long time and prefer the "feel" of rear wheel drive.

Would you please post some pics of your car ? I would like to see the Euro version.
notmidlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #7
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmidlife View Post
Braking is going to be about the same. Steering coming out of a corner with heavy throttle will be different. Front wheel drive pulls the car around the corner when you nail the gas. Rear wheel drive does a push which sometimes will slide the back end. Keep the traction control on for a bit while you get use to the handling characteristics. I've driven with both for a long time and prefer the "feel" of rear wheel drive.

Would you please post some pics of your car ? I would like to see the Euro version.
LED tails and the big dumbo ear mirrors are the only difference I think
Old 07-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #8
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deam0n View Post
Hi, Im 28, from Luxembourg and born in Portugal so all my life I've drove European cars with front wheel drive.

Now I'll get my Camaro and I'm a little bit scared because I never drove a rear wheel drive. Is there any difference (other than driving in snow)?

First things first , do you want my opinion in ---Portugues ou em inglês ?
Seria melhor em Flamish , mas eu não falo essa língua
Desculpa pelo que passou com as tuas duas equipas que from ao mundial
Back to your question , just hit the right pedal and hold on to the wheel , and hop for the best

Sou da mesmo Ilha dele

Last edited by oldfriend; 02-22-2015 at 06:30 PM.
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #9
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Power after the apex of the curve, not before.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:03 AM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Find an empty parking lot, turn the wheel and punch it.

THAT's the big difference.

After that, for normal driving in dry conditions, it's not that different.

Be careful in the rain big time. Always refer to the empty parking lot test and realize that in the rain or loose road surface that can happen before you know it.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:09 AM   #11
Deam0n

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS (European Version)
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmidlife View Post
I will as soon as I get it... Bought it back in Mars, and dealer gave 6 month (!!!) of wait time... Last day 21st of June I went back to dealer, he gave me the VIN number and told me more 1 / 1,5 month and I should have my car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend
... First things first , do you want my opinion in ---Portugues ou em inglês ? ...
English, so everyone can understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoaKid
...These cars are AMAZING in snow, but you NEED winter tires. I was ripping past people with AWD and 4x4 all winter, and Im in Canada. ...
Here in Luxembourg there's a lot of snow also, snow tires are obligatory during winter, my guess is that I'll stop driving her. But I also know myself, and I will not be able to handle having my camaro stopped, new, awsome, in the garage...... I know I'll def. take her for some rides on winter, BUT here in Luxembourg not all roads are with no inclination. There are many uphill and downhill. And I was already told that the Camaro with snow tires will not go up! is that true? Camaro can only handle snow in flat surfaces?

Deam0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:22 AM   #12
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Just remember, your pushing and not pulling the car and adjust your self accordingly.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #13
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deam0n View Post

Basically, it's more important to be "smooth" with throttle application in a RWD car than it is in a FWD car. "Smooth" here means gradually. Squeeze into the throttle instead of stomping on it. This is a skill that will come easily enough if you let it, and if you listen to what the whole car is trying to tell you instead of only the exhaust roar.

As mentioned, getting the drive wheels of a RWD car "loose" while cornering (turning, curving) under power nearly always results in a spin (or at least a little tail-wagging that absolutely WILL get your attention). Not that FWD is a cure-all, since continued heavy throttle can put a FWD car into heavy understeer (even to the point where the car almost refuses to turn at all, if you're clumsy enough).

My position on TC and ST is that they are not there so you don't have to worry about any consequences of driving harder or driving a new-to-you car. That's wishful thinking and abandonment of the idea that you're still responsible for normally staying well within your limits. The nannies are there for truly unusual and unexpected situations only.

RWD is still drivable in snow (think Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, etc.). You just have to be even smoother with the throttle. Traction can be improved in many cases by adding a little extra weight to the trunk, but don't get carried away with, say, a hundred kg or more. 30, maybe 50 kg at most will be plenty, and won't make the tail want to come around as easily if you do get a little careless on a snow-covered turn. All-season tires can handle a little snow, but you will want real winter tires if there is much accumulation.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #14
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Just remember, your pushing and not pulling the car and adjust your self accordingly.
Yep. Well put.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote