Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Another teen texting victim

I've seen plenty of pictures people here have posted of their mangled Camaros, but I never thought I would be one of them. I was driving to work today and some young girl not paying attention plowed into the Camaro. I was sitting at an intersection waiting to turn left and she rear ended me. She claims she had her cruise control on and was looking at something else momentarily, and then when she looked up and saw my car she panicked and hit the gas. I don't know about any if that story, but I'd bet my life she was staring at her phone like nearly all teenagers I see. I don't know why anyone would have their cruise on in that situation. It was a winding country road full of potholes, right by a school bus lot, during the morning rush, and it was raining.

Her car was definitely totaled, not sure about mine. I wouldn't really want a car with this kind of damage repaired, but that is even more true since it's a convertible. These convertible tops are finicky enough even without serious body damage. There are witness marks on the quarters where both doors hit them. The witness marks are pretty long so it looks like the doors overlapped the quarters an inch or so during impact. So the convertible top frame certainly was sprung. I didn't know what to do at the moment so I had it towed to the nearest Chevy dealer and they didn't think it was totaled, but I don't trust that awful place. I had it towed to a reputable body shop and am waiting for the verdict.

What do you guys think? Totalled?
Attached Images

JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Damn that SUV is totaled and your Camaro looks like it took a small hit but looks pretty good. I don't think they will total it, I say maybe 8k but don't quote. Glad your OK though.
Ace0751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I'd definitely want another car too, just depends on the insurance whether they will total it or not because I've seen some companies salvage a car for a $3000 repair on a 15k car.

I hate to say it but every time I see a girl driving and get to a stop she pulls out her phone, really bugs me when they're behind me looking down and doesn't look like they'll stop in time. Sucks that happened to you
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #4
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Sorry for "your loss" but damn did your camaro took it like a CHAMP! Makes me feel nice an cozzy to see our cars take an impact like that so well. Look at that poor SUV.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2018 Colorado
Sad to see. Have the police check her cell phone record, prob in use at time of accident. It's already her fault but maybe she'll remember this. I'm not going to say it's just a car cuz I wouldn't wanna be in your shoes. Keep your chin up.
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
KriticalFlaco

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Good to see your ok....I got cut off bad by a car the 2nd day from purchasing my camaro...she didn't even use a turn signal....pulled up next to her and she was on her phone like if nothing happened....smh
KriticalFlaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Time to freak out!
Old 12-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #8
tjk_art

Drives: 2010
Your car took the hit like that because it was designed to..

Looks like the exhaust is bent, which could mean your frame is damaged as well.

If they don't total it and the frame is bent, I would argue with the insurance you bought the car for it's safety ratings and you don't feel safe in a car with a repaired frame.
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #9
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
She looks like she's in her 30's. Thanks for stereotyping us though.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #10
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
Nah, it's not only teens who text or are one their phone while driving. About 80% of the cars I pass who either swerve across the lines or drive 15 below the limit are middle aged people. Yes their driving slow, but that was not the case with that 40 year old woman who nearly pushed me into the oncoming lane with her lifted Silverado because I glanced over and saw her typing away on her phone.

But really hope your not totaled, because that looks like all you need is 2 body pieces and a set of tail lights.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #11
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
Most people have a hard time driving with both hands on the wheel. Glad people have developed that third eye and a heck of a lot more co-ordination to get 'er done today.

Or not. DA's.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #12
allshotout

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro
There are products in the market which can be installed to limit the abilitiy for cell phone to be used in a moving vehicle. Would be nice with exception only allowing voice calls via the hands free in the vehicle. I read some where the rate of texting and driving fatalies far exceeds the drinking and driving. Would be nice to see this as a manufacturer installed option.
allshotout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #13
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingSpeed View Post
Nah, it's not only teens who text or are one their phone while driving. About 80% of the cars I pass who either swerve across the lines or drive 15 below the limit are middle aged people. Yes their driving slow, but that was not the case with that 40 year old woman who nearly pushed me into the oncoming lane with her lifted Silverado because I glanced over and saw her typing away on her phone.

But really hope your not totaled, because that looks like all you need is 2 body pieces and a set of tail lights.
And exhaust and whatever inside the trunk he'll need. Who knows what damage is under that
My friends 09 Vibe just has scratches and the lower grille is cracked

but the frame is completely wrecked.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:35 PM   #14
CoupeSS

Drives: 2013 Coupe 2SS/RS
Go to a chiropractor and then find an attorney, besides the damage to your car, you can easily get $10,000 for pain n suffer cuz your neck hurts from whiplash,,,,,,and unless you had your head on the head rest I can bet you do. Sorry to see your car ruined, hopefully it is totaled, but you never get your baby back, and I wouldn't want a new model.....that would suck. How many miles where on your car?
CoupeSS is offline   Reply With Quote