Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 07-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
Chevrolet? Why are you holding special orders?

Last winter, I got on the waiting list for a 2014 Camaro Z/28. I placed my order on Day One of allocations.

First retail cars were built in March.

Production ended in mid June.

The Chevrolet Order Status as of June 10th on the GM website says "Shipped/En Route".

Today, the official reason from GM headquarters that I don't have the car is that it is "waiting for a railcar".

Yes, I know that is BS, but bear with me.

A more likely scenario is that it has been sitting in a lot at the factory for over 6 weeks, with no estimated shipping time. If the pictures I've seen are correct, it's being stored uncovered outside. Probably OK, since Canada is just like Arizona.

But the real point is:

Why can't a loyal customer order a Chevrolet in a timely fashion, or AT LEAST not get lied to about it's status?

I've bought about 20 GM cars and trucks this century so far. Trucks (6-7?), cars (uh, 8-9?), minivans (3). So many I'm not sure. Last non-GM car/truck/van I bought was 2 years ago, but that was a Toyota Forklift truck.

I do not shop GM because I'm a rabid Bowtie wearing, crossed-flag waving, uneducated consumer. I buy GM's because they do the task I need them for, and I've had great luck with their reliability.

But if I can no longer order vehicles from GM, then what do I do? Some vehicles I want to pick the color and options. That requires ordering, as I already know how to check area inventory.

Cliff Notes:

1) Your order system is currently broken.
2) It does not work correctly.
3) It is not managed adequately.

If you work for GM and think I'm wrong about it, read #3 again.

Signed,

Looking For Cheese with my Whine
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.

Last edited by McRat; 07-26-2014 at 05:06 PM.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
McRat

Well, while I won't delete this thread, I think that after I re-read it, I know what to do about it. Just not take delivery. If I take delivery, then everything is OK, when it's not.

I'd be a fool to take delivery of a 2014 when the 2015's are about to hit the lots at the same price. Why lose a year on the VIN for no reason?

I'll just wait until they fix their special order system, then order again. If they don't fix it, then so what? It wasn't meant to be.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
Good thinking,

Sounds reasonable and I would do the same.
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Today, the official reason from GM headquarters that I don't have the car is that it is "waiting for a railcar".
Did you ask how they were going to solve the problem? What was the estimated time they said you should receive the vehicle?

Did you ask for any compensation for your time and frustration due to the ineffective ordering system? If they gave you credit for the GM accessory store would you not be here expressing your frustration?

Be patient, production ended in mid June, it will probably be here next week.
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBody View Post
Did you ask how they were going to solve the problem? What was the estimated time they said you should receive the vehicle?

Did you ask for any compensation for your time and frustration due to the ineffective ordering system? If they gave you credit for the GM accessory store would you not be here expressing your frustration?

If I was him, I'd be REALLY pissed almost 4 months after being built and still no delivery, UNACCEPTABLE. Even though GM has been going through the "key" fiasco, it's no reason for his vehicle to not have been delivered by now. So many owners have had their vehicles delivered in enclosed trailers, so why not his?

Sorry OP for this excruciating experience, I hope it ends in a manner that is satisfactory to you.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
McRat

No, it's only been sitting collecting dust at the factory just over 6 weeks. Sometimes my rants are confusing.

AFAIK, all the Z/28's delivered are going by enclosed truck trailer. So it never was waiting for a railcar. The dealer I ordered at has several 2015 Camaros listed as in-stock (not Z/28's, mine is the only one they ordered), so it could not have been a shortage of railcars.

So if it's not a rail shortage, could it be a truck shortage? Highly unlikely:

Let's assume GM only has the ability to move 8 Camaros per day by trucks. That's about 4 trucks to cover the US. The first deliveries were the first week of May or late April. Only 436 cars are shipping to dealers. That's all that were made for retail sale.

So there was about 60 days worth of trucking assuming truck drivers don't work on weekends or holidays. That's 480 cars. All cars would have been delivered already.

Seriously, I don't believe the 4 trucks, or the 8 cars per day, but let's say it was that badly planned; that GM no idea how to ship motor vehicles in the US (rightttt). Personally, I think they have a WHOLE logistics staff to handle deliveries, most are probably very good at their jobs.

So a "truck shortage" isn't it either.

So why would they let pre-sold cars sit in a field for several weeks? The only thing I can come up with is existing non-special-order units at the dealers are not selling fast enough, so they hold the cars to keep from flooding the market with them.

Special orders should be exempt from that procedure. And GM should tell the truth why your special order won't be shipped, or at least say, "no answer for you". Blaming it on railcars is silly, as is saying it's been shipped 6 weeks ago, but the truck is REALLY slow.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
McRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBody View Post

The only answer I can get is "no railcars". Whoever knows what is really up, is not relaying the real reason to the dealers. The dealer calls HQ, and that's what they are told. Code is still Bayed.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #8
Natebrod

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE Summit White
But remember that there will be a lot fewer 14's out there. No doubt this sucks. But don't cheat yourself out of a more desirable car.
Natebrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I had a similar situation when trying to purchase a GT500 in the getting lied to department. I also had a very hard time getting a ZL1 from the dealer I've been using for over 20 Years and like you too many vehicles to list for business and play. GM felt they weren't worth giving an allocation to even though it would have been a sold order from a long standing GM customer. It boggles my mind as a business own why car companies won't sell someone a car when they Have the means to do so. No wonder we had to bail them all out.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #10
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
QC hold?

In any case, even the shipped by rail (or whatever code) is not accurate. My car was marked as shipped for 2 weeks before they the status was changed to show that it was being held (1LE held for the tire/cold weather issue).

Have you had someone reliable investigate? Maybe Becky can find out what's going on.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #11
McRat

Not even Becky or our district manager could find out why it hasn't shipped.

I pulled the plug last night.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:12 PM   #12
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
McRat, what was your build#?

My guess is that it's because of the shipping company that GM is using. The Z/28 obviously isn't going to be put on a rail car so I think there must be a hold up on the shipping company end. Perhaps because it's going to California and they're waiting to put a load of cars going to the same general place together.

I agree that it's totally unacceptable. This is a big time case of dropping the ball on a high end car.

BTW, are you the same McRat that used to be on LS1/LS2.com?
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:04 AM   #13
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
GM should really hire some more people to help with the acquisition of vehicles.

Regardless, I expect that this will Z/28 to be sold pretty quickly as there only a few remaining in California that are currently going for over $100,000.

The dealer is probably celebrating that you cancelled your order as he is going to make a good chunk of change.
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:12 PM   #14
McRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
McRat, what was your build#?

My guess is that it's because of the shipping company that GM is using. The Z/28 obviously isn't going to be put on a rail car so I think there must be a hold up on the shipping company end. Perhaps because it's going to California and they're waiting to put a load of cars going to the same general place together.

I agree that it's totally unacceptable. This is a big time case of dropping the ball on a high end car.

BTW, are you the same McRat that used to be on LS1/LS2.com?
Yup, same McRat.

I hope they don't have problems selling it IF it arrives. From past personal experience there is no guarantee. Especially when they cannot tell you it's status.