Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #1
Camaro25

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT RS
Car wouldn't start. Battery problem?

Monday night I went to warm up my 2016 1LT before heading out to work and it wouldn't start. The engine light lit up, and something popped up about the stabilitrak.

I had all the accessory lights and the radio would turn on, but I couldn't get the engine to turn over. I tried to start it a few times and nothing. I noticed that the green light was lit up on the push button start, so I kept pushing the button to get it to turn off, but it wouldn't. Then the windshield wipers started running very slowly, but I never turned them on. I tried to get them to stop, but had no luck. When I got out of the car the headlights and the lights behind each tire were on, but the tail lights weren't.

I had to leave to go to work, so I just left the car as it was and left. When I got home the next morning everything on the car was dead as I figured it would be. I put my charger on it for a few hours and went out and tried it and it fired right up like nothing had ever happened. I called onstar, explained to them what had happened and had them run a diagnostic check just to see if anything popped up. Nothing did.

Like I said, this occured Monday night. We had some bad weather here and the last time I drove the car before trying to start it was Saturday. It was pretty cold here (single digits) so maybe it affected the battery. After starting it up yesterday I drove it around with no problems. I have an oil change scheduled for next Tuesday, so I will mention it when I take it in. Does this sound like a battery problem? Has anyone else had this happen?

1987 White Sport Coupe
1992 White Z28
2013 Black 2LS
2016 Hyper Blue 1LT RS
Camaro25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:59 PM   #2
nfboy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT HBM
If everything fired up as you said (lights radio etc.), then it does not sound like a battery issue. Aside from the gremlin things like the wipers, first blush would seem more like failure to recognize the FOB. Did you happen to try other FOB functions like locking/unlocking the doors, popping the trunk or if it is an A8, remote start?
nfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:41 PM   #3
Camaro25

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfboy View Post
If everything fired up as you said (lights radio etc.), then it does not sound like a battery issue. Aside from the gremlin things like the wipers, first blush would seem more like failure to recognize the FOB. Did you happen to try other FOB functions like locking/unlocking the doors, popping the trunk or if it is an A8, remote start?
No I didn't try anything else with the FOB. Not recognizing the FOB never even crossed my mind. If it happens again I will try that. I am definitely going to tell the dealer when I take it in for my oil change.

1987 White Sport Coupe
1992 White Z28
2013 Black 2LS
2016 Hyper Blue 1LT RS
Camaro25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:38 PM   #4
chrisx66

Drives: 66 Chevelle 8:02 @174
My car sat for a few days and I went to start it and it did the same thing. I charged the battery overnight and it was fine for a few days. I let it sit again for a few days and it barely started, I had my wife drive it to work and she said it cranked slow on her way back home. I went out to look at it and it was dead.

I made an appointment at the dealer and drove it 20 miles there. The service writer went to get the vin and mileage of it and it barely started for him. They tested the battery and it passed, I left it with them a couple of days and it kept passing the load test. Finally they got it to fail and replaced the battery all is fine now. Good thing it cranked slow for the service writer or they probably said they couldn't verify the concern.

I knew it was the battery I just didn't want to buy one since it was under warranty. I hope they are able to verify your concern and install a new battery for you. Good luck.
chrisx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:42 PM   #5
chrisx66

Drives: 66 Chevelle 8:02 @174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro25 View Post
No I didn't try anything else with the FOB. Not recognizing the FOB never even crossed my mind. If it happens again I will try that. I am definitely going to tell the dealer when I take it in for my oil change.
Forgot to add, my wife said the display said something about the fob when she tried to start it on her way.
chrisx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #6
LoJac963

Drives: 2016 2SS Nightfall Grey
This just happened to ours yesterday. Slowly cranked but started, Wife took her car out for some errands so I figured it would charge itself. She came home and said the DIC said something about the blind spot warning having issues.

I got in to start it and it was completely dead. Jumped with my truck and it fired right up. The guy in service was ridiculously surprised as the car only has 3,400 miles on it. He said, "that aint good"
LoJac963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro25 View Post
Monday night I went to warm up my 2016 1LT before heading out to work and it wouldn't start. The engine light lit up, and something popped up about the stabilitrak.

I had all the accessory lights and the radio would turn on, but I couldn't get the engine to turn over. I tried to start it a few times and nothing. I noticed that the green light was lit up on the push button start, so I kept pushing the button to get it to turn off, but it wouldn't. Then the windshield wipers started running very slowly, but I never turned them on. I tried to get them to stop, but had no luck. When I got out of the car the headlights and the lights behind each tire were on, but the tail lights weren't.

I had to leave to go to work, so I just left the car as it was and left. When I got home the next morning everything on the car was dead as I figured it would be. I put my charger on it for a few hours and went out and tried it and it fired right up like nothing had ever happened. I called onstar, explained to them what had happened and had them run a diagnostic check just to see if anything popped up. Nothing did.

Like I said, this occured Monday night. We had some bad weather here and the last time I drove the car before trying to start it was Saturday. It was pretty cold here (single digits) so maybe it affected the battery. After starting it up yesterday I drove it around with no problems. I have an oil change scheduled for next Tuesday, so I will mention it when I take it in. Does this sound like a battery problem? Has anyone else had this happen?
Good Morning Camaro25,

I understand that your vehicle seems to be experiencing some battery concerns, and I apologize for any inconvenience caused! As we're not trained technicians, your dealership would indeed be in the best position to formally diagnose this for you. If it'd be of interest, I'd be more than willing to get in contact with them to offer an additional layer of assistance. Please don’t hesitate to send us a private message with further details or any questions.

All the best,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 12-28-2016, 10:11 AM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJac963 View Post
This just happened to ours yesterday. Slowly cranked but started, Wife took her car out for some errands so I figured it would charge itself. She came home and said the DIC said something about the blind spot warning having issues.

I got in to start it and it was completely dead. Jumped with my truck and it fired right up. The guy in service was ridiculously surprised as the car only has 3,400 miles on it. He said, "that aint good"
Hi LoJac963,

I regret to hear that your Camaro seems to be experiencing a battery concern as well! To clarify, has the team at your dealership been able to make any repairs? If I can be of additional assistance at this time, please feel free to send us a private message with details.

Kindly,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care