Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-17-2016, 11:12 PM   #1
G701LE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IBM silver stipes
Steering shaft. Can't get back on.......

So I installed my Stainless Works LT headers tonight. I had to take apart the steering knuckle. Now it won't give me enough slack to bolt it back up. Any ideas???

Mods = Not enough....
G701LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
G701LE

I didn't take the knuckle apart. I just unbolted it from the input shaft.

Mods = Not enough....
Old 03-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #3
angryv6
Lake Erie Monster

Drives: 02 Hyundai Santa Fe and 13 300
I used long wrench and a lot of patience.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:16 PM   #4
SS Blinder

Drives: 2011 SS (Sparrow Spearer???)
so you slid the top part off the input shaft correct? first, dont move the steering wheel. I also unbolted it and slid the top part off and moved it out of the way to install the headers. when i went to slide the top part back on, i notice the bottom part had rotated ever so slightly, that i could not slide the shaft back on. i grabbed a small crescent wrench, and ever so slightly rotate the input shaft on the rack, until the top part slid back on. be patient though and itll work out
Old 03-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #5
b4wheeler

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Vert
I am doing Stainless Power headers this weekend.

I did not take the steering shaft apart and was able to get the old manifold out.

Hoping I don't need to take it apart to get the header in...
Old 03-18-2016, 09:32 PM   #6
SS Blinder

Drives: 2011 SS (Sparrow Spearer???)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4wheeler View Post
I am doing Stainless Power headers this weekend.

I did not take the steering shaft apart and was able to get the old manifold out.

Hoping I don't need to take it apart to get the header in...
the hardest part of taking the manifold out is those damn hard to reach bolts. I did have to undo the coupling though to fit the headers in. (ARH 1 7/8 btw) but it was a one man operation on jackstands.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:54 PM   #7
b4wheeler

So are we saying I still may have to separate the steering??? Ughhh.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:13 PM   #8
FFPM73
Firefighter/Paramedic

Drives: RJT 2SS/RS M6 LS-3
Shouldn't have to disconnect anything except for oil dip stick. Factory exhaust manifolds with cats still attached slide out the bottom. Headers are installed through bottom of vehicle. Drivers side takes a little playing around steering shaft but it will go. I've installed about 20 sets, everything from Kooks to AR to SW etc.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:19 PM   #9
b4wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPM73 View Post
Shouldn't have to disconnect anything except for oil dip stick. Factory exhaust manifolds with cats still attached slide out the bottom. Headers are installed through bottom of vehicle. Drivers side takes a little playing around steering shaft but it will go. I've installed about 20 sets, everything from Kooks to AR to SW etc.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:45 PM   #10
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPM73 View Post
Exactly what he said. Install from the bottom. I just installed a set of Kooks while on Race Ramps. Passenger side was an easy slip in, but the drivers side needed an extra 3-4" of lift, but popped right in with a little massaging. I had my son help me from above, but it could be done alone. You got this!! I did end up cutting off the large rubber bellow that was covering the steering u-joint because it just slightly touched one of the header down tubes.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:14 AM   #11
G701LE

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think I would have to undo the shaft. Everything came out REAL easy. I did go from the bottom to install headers. The problem is the shaft itself is somehow stuck away from the input shaft I unbolted it from. It is lined up, but I can't get the shaft back close enough to slide over the input to bolt back on. I grab it with 2 hands and pull as hard as I can and it only moves maybe an eighth of an inch. It needs to slide up and over about and inch and a half.

Mods = Not enough....