Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-23-2015, 01:06 PM   #1
Crash76
Team 913

Drives: '14 ZL1, '15 Jeep GC, ‘22 Ram 2500
Auto Manf want to make working on your car illegal...

http://news.boldride.com/2015/04/gm-...illegal/76702/

Sorry this has to be my first post. Great forum. Good info, looking forward to contributing more as time passes.

-Jason
Crash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
That_old_guy

Drives: 2016 Jetta sport
Sure hope that doesn't happen, that's just stupid.
That_old_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Incorrect. They don't want to make you working on your own car illegal. They want to make it illegal to modify the software that comes with the car - trying to protect it (the vehicle / software) under the DMCA. This article is all hypothetical anyway. Not to mention, I'm sure you've all seen how effective the DMCA is at preventing piracy. No one pirates anything now...
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:08 PM   #4
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgnxs View Post
Incorrect. They don't want to make you working on your own car illegal. They want to make it illegal to modify the software that comes with the car - trying to protect it (the vehicle / software) under the DMCA. This article is all hypothetical anyway. Not to mention, I'm sure you've all seen how effective the DMCA is at preventing piracy. No one pirates anything now...
Plus, I would like to see the first car company try to enforce that....

In headlines today, ISCC (Increadably Stupid Car Company) had Joe Sixpack arrested on charges he worked on his car.

What do you think is going to happen to sales in the ISCC dealership showrooms?
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
xgnxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Plus, I would like to see the first car company try to enforce that....

In headlines today, ISCC (Increadably Stupid Car Company) had Joe Sixpack arrested on charges he worked on his car.

What do you think is going to happen to sales in the ISCC dealership showrooms?
It would make tuning / flashing the ECU illegal, but even then, in the article it states that they just want to lock people out from modifying the safety features that are controlled by the ECU, and that other things could still be legally modified (making it sound like it will still be very possible to mod your car and get a custom tune - as long as it doesn't interfere with safety features).

Journalism at its finest...

"Hey guys, we really don't want you to be able to disable the air bags and other ECU controlled safety features. We think that it should be illegal, really." = "CAR COMPANIES WANT TO MAKE IT ILLEGAL TO CHANGE YOUR OWN OIL."
Old 04-23-2015, 02:26 PM   #6
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgnxs View Post
It would make tuning / flashing the ECU illegal, but even then, in the article it states that they just want to lock people out from modifying the safety features that are controlled by the ECU, and that other things could still be legally modified (making it sound like it will still be very possible to mod your car and get a custom tune - as long as it doesn't interfere with safety features).

Journalism at its finest...

"Hey guys, we really don't want you to be able to disable the air bags and other ECU controlled safety features. We think that it should be illegal, really." = "CAR COMPANIES WANT TO MAKE IT ILLEGAL TO CHANGE YOUR OWN OIL."
I understand what is really going on, but think of how the press will report the enforcement to increase readership, and I think you will see where I am coming from. Car companies are not going to want to let the press spin that event.

No one is going to be prevented from working on his/her car.

Plus, I am not sure the existing law is the right one, but that is another discussion altogether.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Just look at what happened to smartphone jail breaking. Same thing will happen, your right to modify the software as long you know it will waive your rights to complain if something happens.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #8
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
With that being said, As cars move towards autonomous operation, there has to be some types of checks in place to prevent tampering with the associated computer systems. And you can say what you want about autonomous cars, but its coming. It may not be in the immediate future, but its coming quickly.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #9
xgnxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
With that being said, As cars move towards autonomous operation, there has to be some types of checks in place to prevent tampering with the associated computer systems. And you can say what you want about autonomous cars, but its coming. It may not be in the immediate future, but its coming quickly.
True. I feel like the kind of people who will want to buy autonomous cars won't be the same kind who will want to modify them though. At least, until they eventually make driving your own car illegal...
Old 04-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #10
Optimus

Drives: Former 2010 and 2013 Camaro owner
While I highly doubt it will happen in my lifetime, cars driven by people will be outlawed sometime in the future. Hopefully my Camaro will still be in good working order so my Grandkids can take it out for a drive in the country. If you are a fan of Rush (The Canadian Rock Trio, not the dude on the radio) then you already know what I am talking about. If not, listen to Red Barchetta...
Optimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:22 PM   #11
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
an irresponsible article at the least...............
Old 04-23-2015, 09:55 PM   #12
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
an irresponsible article at the least...............
Well let me ask you this then please.
Would owners be able to have a tune done on their 6th gen Camaros or would Gm prohibit it .? That after all is pretty big for those wanting to eliminate the government requirements that you have to sustain to , and allow us enthusiasts to get the extra power left on the table .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:54 PM   #13
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
Would owners be able to have a tune done on their 6th gen Camaros or would Gm prohibit it .? That after all is pretty big for those wanting to eliminate the government requirements that you have to sustain to , and allow us enthusiasts to get the extra power left on the table .

I remember reading how Dodge had their ECU's locked so you could not change the tune on them. The Challenger guys were trying to find a way to crack the code.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #14
xgnxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
This article, despite the clickbait headline, seems to suggest that the only thing it would be illegal to mess with would be the safety settings in the ECU