Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #71
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
OK - deep breath, everyone.

The last thing we want is for you to be unhappy with your ZL1.

That said - I suspect you know that the carbon fiber hoods have been problematic from day one. I also believe that your car did not have that crack in it when it left oshawa - as to WHY it cracked? That's the million dollar question, but be assured that it hasn't appeared on the CTF vehicles.

Now - we're going to replace it. It does not affect your driving the vehicle. Also understand that these parts are very difficult to make - that's the main reason that cars have been delayed. We will get it to you as soon as possible. The supplier is working around the clock to perfect the parts, but anyone working with Carbon Fiber knows that it's very tricky - we do have standards that might surprise you - and that's why we don't accept many of the parts when we receive them.

Deep breath - go enjoy the car and know that we will replace it.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #72
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

That said - I suspect you know that the carbon fiber hoods have been problematic from day one. I also believe that your car did not have that crack in it when it left oshawa - as to WHY it cracked? That's the million dollar question, but be assured that it hasn't appeared on the CTF vehicles.

Now - we're going to replace it. It does not affect your driving the vehicle. Also understand that these parts are very difficult to make - that's the main reason that cars have been delayed. We will get it to you as soon as possible. The supplier is working around the clock to perfect the parts, but anyone working with Carbon Fiber knows that it's very tricky - we do have standards that might surprise you - and that's why we don't accept many of the parts when we receive them.

I wish I would have paid better attention to the insert from day 1 to help get a better understanding of what might have caused it.
Maybe it cracked when my railcar broke down for a week

I never believed for once that it would have left the factory like that. I was just worried that it cracked under normal usage. I'll keep a better eye on the replacement. thanks for checking in with us Scott

1 question for those that know.....is there any kind of rubber gasket or anything on these inserts? I didn't notice one, are they just attached directly to the metal of the hood?
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #73
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Quote:

Thanks for the info fbod.

If it wasn't that way when it left Oshawa it happened between transport and PDI because it was definitely that way in my "delivered" photos that I added to Page 2 I think it was.

I had my car Zyno'd.....Did you have that done JMAN?
Old 07-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #74
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post
Thanks for the info fbod.

If it wasn't that way when it left Oshawa it happened between transport and PDI because it was definitely that way in my "delivered" photos that I added to Page 2 I think it was.

I had my car Zyno'd.....Did you have that done JMAN?
Haven't had a chance to wax it yet. Just gave it a good washing the other day (washed it when the car hadn't been run, the insert was already cracked before it's first wash by me)

I do wonder though.....if the dealer had the car running a bunch before PDI if a temperature change could make the insert crack when they washed it, or crack later due to multiple temp changes
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #75
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN311 View Post
Haven't had a chance to wax it yet. Just gave it a good washing the other day (washed it when the car hadn't been run, the insert was already cracked before it's first wash by me)

I do wonder though.....if the dealer had the car running a bunch before PDI if a temperature change could make the insert crack when they washed it, or crack later due to multiple temp changes
Dunno. Just adding as much information as I can for Fbod and the guys at GM
Old 07-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #76
razorz28

Drives: 2017 Jeep Rubicon, 2016 Z06
I can tell you with 99.9% certainty that it left the factory already cracked, it may have been the size of a crack in the front windshield and not noticable but Carbon Fibre does not crack like that after the fact unless the conditions are very extreme.

Quote:

razorz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #77
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
My M3 CF roof has no cracks after 4 years. Could it be the heat coming from the engine? This must be repaired by GM. I'm changing to black hood insert and deleting the ECF from my ZL1 order.
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #78
razorz28

I am sure it is an issue during productions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
My M3 CF roof has no cracks after 4 years. Could it be the heat coming from the engine? This must be repaired by GM. I'm changing to black hood insert and deleting the ECF from my ZL1 order.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #79
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
the black now grey insert is carbon fiber also and will have those defects filled sanded and painted
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #80
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by closs2sx View Post
the black now grey insert is carbon fiber also and will have those defects filled sanded and painted
Yep.

The service manager at my dealership didn't even want to attempt a repair
Old 07-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #81
razorz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by closs2sx View Post
If that is the process being used there will be many problems down the road. Every time the carbon fibre heats and cools the defect will open and close.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #82
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
well i cant say for sure as i dont work for the supplier that supplies gm or gm but i would imagine they take the rougher ones and paint them
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #83
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
I looked a little closer at mine today and there are 2 small blemishes on the edge (1 on the left, 1 on the right)...however they less than a 1/4 inch in length and really only noticeable in low lite conditions. I don't know if they are considered "cracks" like the ones some of you guys showed in the first page but I've seen CF do these when it is stressed and even when the weave is molded or bonded together like on CF wheels in the corners between the lip and the spokes. Since I have my CF insert fully Clear Bra protected with the most expensive film available (XPEL ultimate) I'm probably not going to replace mine as it will be too much of a hassle to go and have GM re-do it under warranty and the blemishes are so minor (especially in direct sunlight).

I will say this though, it's quite disappointing when the 2012 cars sat in QC for weeks and this CF insert was supposedly one of the issues and months later on the 2013 models they still didn't resolve it I love my ZL1 for what it is and I totally give props to Al O., Scott, Mike Judge and all the GM camaro team for creating such an outstanding car for the price...

But...

I've come to terms with the simple fact that the build quality of GM performance cars just aren't up to par with those of Audi, Porsche or BMW (excluding engine and suspension components of course) . Therefore, since I currently own a GM performance car, and I know the car will get minor nicks and things on the panels & wheels over time from normal use so I'm not going to be overly anal about this car. Maybe some of you should follow my lead so you too aren't left disappointed at the end of the day and can enjoy your car more for what it is: a budget "super" car
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:31 AM   #84
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
For all the trouble the carbon fiber insert has been it would have made more sense to have a regular hood with heat extractors like the GT500. I realize GM wanted to set the car apart from the competition. The almost square edges are obviously a stress point. I'll look further at my black insert tomorrow.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damaged insert, defects, exposed carbon fiber, insert cracked