Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #43
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
I've had mine done by the dealer from day one since I bought the car there. That'll be two oil changes then! I'm 65% away from my 3rd oil change and the car will be 2 years old in 9 days time.

I think $50 a year for an oil change at the dealership is not bad when all is considered! ($59.99 for a full Mobil 1 oil change - and they give you $10 off if you check in via FourSquare!) - Love Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine.

In fact, I took my car there to have the rear diffuser replaced yesterday after getting rear ended. Showed up at 7:15 am, had my car back with the new diffuser on by 7:35 am. Great service there.
Built: 11/18/22
VIN received: 11/19/22
On a Train: 02/27/23
ETA: TBD

2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible/M6/Shadow Grey Metallic/Adrenaline Red Interior/Carbon Flash Wheels/NPP
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #44
ABM/IOM

Drives: aqua blue ls and inferno orange ss
I took mine to one particular dealer and don't trust those guys any farther than i could throw them. I change my own oil because they caused more damage to my car than it was worth.

The fist oil change was done by this dealer and the tech didn't quite tighten up the oil filter all the way and it worked itself almost all the way off in a couple thousand miles.

This is 1 thread i started Dealership almost destroyed my car

The last time i took my car to the same dealer, i gave them the benefit of the doubt and let them touch my car again. This time they performed an oil and filter change at no charge due to the above link.
This time after a couple hundred miles i noticed oil stains in my driveway. I checked it out and found the rear of the filter soaked. So i didn't take the car back to the same dealer, i brought it to a new dealership.
They put the car on their lift and found the filter had a defect in the side of it. It had a tiny pinhole in it. The new dealership replaced the oil and filter at no charge.

The dealer i don't care to mention still owes me 1 more free oil change and there ain't no way they are touching my camaro ever again, so they can keep that oil and filter and screw up someone elses car with it.
ABM/IOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #45
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
My 2010 Camaro is a mass produced car so I just take it to my dealer. Same guy that works on it also works on my pickup truck and my wife's Tahoe and Sky. Can you believe he has figured out how to change the oil on 4 different vehicles? Lol. Seriously, it's not a difficult job. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself then take it somewhere. Take a nap in the waiting room. They'll wake you when they're done working on your mass produced car
Old 06-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #46
RallyYellowPlease

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT/RS
I have a different car (not a camaro), and the dealer tells me I need to have the service done with them.

The thing is they charge me way too much. If I take my car for service elsewhere outside the dealer, does that void the warranty?
RallyYellowPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #47
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyYellowPlease View Post
I have a different car (not a camaro), and the dealer tells me I need to have the service done with them.

The thing is they charge me way too much. If I take my car for service elsewhere outside the dealer, does that void the warranty?
Ask them to show you where the warranty requires the work to be done there
Old 06-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #48
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
No one changes the oil as thoroughly as I, so I ALWAYS do it myself...I don't even care if it's free. I will still glady pay myself.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #49
Dooley
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
All stealerships sck. Some just sck more than others.
Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #50
camaro-dreamer

Drives: 2013 Porsche 981S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdownaverted View Post
also don't try to save a $1 by buying a no name filter at Walmart, got to experience a cheap filter from an quick lube place destroy an engine as it disintigrated and little pieces of filter floating around in your oil will distroy an engine and you warranty won't cover that unless it was a A/C delco filter from a dealership
The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is incorrectly thrown around quite a bit on these forums. However, this is one case in which it would actually apply within the US. As long as the aftermarket filter you used is equivalent to the AC delco filter, the dealership must cover the warranty. In addition, the dealership cannot deny your coverage simply because you bought the filter from someone else.
camaro-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #51
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS JFB
Stealership. I like that word.

I hate giving them one penny, but if they did screw up my car, I bet it would be easier to get a resolution from them and GM, than fighting some chain quick change store that's going to fight me tooth and nail.

But yeah, those of that are too busy to change our own oil should be prepared if we let someone else do it and they screw it up.
SSBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #52
Dos-Camaro 2011
Own (2) 2011's

Drives: (2) 2011 Camaro's 1-SS/1-LT
Pep Boys Do It Yourself Pack in my Garage..........20 Minutes and $35 for Mobil 1 + Filter............Can't beat it.
Dos-Camaro 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #53
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
I change it myself. It takes me less time than it would be to drive it to someone else to do it. Once every 3 months or so I take all the old oil and filters back to the same place I buy the oil, when I buy the oil for the next change. I can be important to get yourself under the car every now and then just to see if anything is wrong. This is the most simple job you can do.

When I bought my daughter her first car it was on the condition that she changes her own oil. And she does.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #54
M3NTA7

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Transformer Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDXIIIDave View Post
El Chupacabra

I like the name of your car!

It looks great too!

M3NTA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #55
cmb74656

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/BLI A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth6 View Post
I do not have any objection of having my dealer perform an oil change. However, I enjoy doing it myself. With a low profile racing jack and two jack stands, it's a breeze. Since places like AutoZone recycles old oil.... dropping it off there take very little effort.
Fast lube shops like fast food restaurants are full of kids and other people who rather be somewhere else. I can’t count the times I’ve had too much oil, too little oil, leaking oil, missing dip sticks, missing oil cap or something totally unrelated to my oil change screwed up do to incompetence. If you do it yourself... you know that it's done right.
Or, at least you know who's to blame if it's done wrong.

MODS: RX Performance catch can, Jegs CAI, ZL1 grille, chrome license plate frame, GM locking gas cap, Defender Worx chrome DRL bezels, GM molded splash guards, Oracle LED side markers, DRLs, tag lights and reverse lamps, Technostalgia Rapid Fire tail lamps, Vitesse shift paddle extenders, MBRP cat back.
FUTURE: long tube headers, front splitter, slotted/drilled rotors, leather console and e-brake handle boot, remote fuel door and rear seat release, sway bars and bushings.
WISH LIST: Edelbrock E-Force SC, LS3 conversion
cmb74656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #56
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
The whole discussion of oil and how/who should change it is like man discussing religion.

I make enough money to justify taking my car someplace to have the oil changed, but I don't. Why? I just prefer to do it myself. While I'm under the hood I like to really look at things-- the belts, the hoses, check all the fluid levels, check for leaks. I check the tires and air pressure, I save my receipts and take pictures of them with the current odometer reading and file it all away. I reset the OLM myself and do anything else on the car that could use attention as long as it's not major mechanical.

The downside-- Anything that breaks is my own doing. For instance, getting the OE oil filter off of my LS3 was a nightmare. I broke 2 different filter wrenches trying to get it off and then ended up stabbing it with a screwdriver and mangling it off. What a mess! That sucker was stuck on there tight. Never had a problem since, though. Ya gotta find a place to dump the oil, sometimes it makes a mess, sometimes the car needs its oil changed in the dead of winter. Ask me how much I love freezing my ass off, fingers numb, working under the car on a dark, cold day.

I would feel comfortable taking it to a place, for the most part. The only piece I don't like is handing the keys over to someone I don't know. I'll let ya borrow my toothbrush or a pair of underwear, but handing my keys over to someone makes me feel wrong

The downside to having someone else do it-- ya never know if they did it right. A Chrysler dealer once forgot to refill the engine with oil in a Voyager that my folks owned. Sometimes techs leave schmutz on the carpets, doors and seats. Sometimes the wrong weight of oil gets used because the tech isn't paying attention/doesn't care, sometimes it gets overfilled. Sometimes Jiffy places use really crappy filters.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote