Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Z06 powerplant for ZL1

If indeed the ZL1 sticks around...the debut of the Z06 engine is right around the corner and it is a rumored 620/650 horse FI LT power plant. You guys think that Chevy would hit the easy button on it and make it a ZL1 option for 2016 or 2017?
just bored and speculating.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
oklapike

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary SS Coupe
Considering there's supposed to be an even higher output FI LT engine in work, I would think so. Question is, how much will they de-tune it from the Z06 numbers?
oklapike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #3
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Well with Ford one upping Chevy with the GT500, I'm sure the ZL1 will get more power soon.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
OK2DRUL
ace5.org (Atlanta Club)

Drives: 2010 Black/IOM 2SS LS3
Quote:
Well with Ford one upping Chevy with the GT500, I'm sure the ZL1 will get more power soon.
I agree with you here. Chevy has done a great job with the interiors and suspension out performing Ford. Now it's time to increase the powerplant to make sure it out performs in all categories. To see the strides that GM has made as a whole in it's product lines recently I wouldn't be surprised if we see it sooner than later.
OK2DRUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
forklord

Drives: 2010 2SS
One upped with the gt500? Raw power is the only one up in that category, imo.

Chevy has so many models/packages out now or coming soon...hard to know what theyre thinking! New series of engines too. Its very exciting tho. Whenever the camaro gets the lt1 (6th gen?) I think theyll be ready to bump the zl1 at the same time. The lsa is a different block and heads than the ls3 right? so maybe theyll go the same route and have its own powerplant? Maybe complete factory forged internals??? Forged pistons in lt1 at least?? ?...One can dream....
2010 2SS- 562whp/634wtq 12 psi on3 turbo 78mm magnum /w aem truboost, pat g cam, Kooks 3" catback, Factory Rep 41s with 285/315 20" michelin PSS, Snow Meth, Hex Hood Vents, ZL1 FP & ADM FPCM /w JMS BAP, ID 850s, DSS lvl 4 axles & aluminum 1 piece D/S, Total Pro BMR bushings, fe4 sways, toe rods & trailing arms, Prothane engine mounts, MGW shifter, eaton true trac, mantic 9000 clutch, idealg master cylinder, JDP clutch oil reservoir, ram clutch pedal adjust, Tick clutch & bleed lines, Dewitts Rad
forklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by forklord View Post
One upped with the gt500? Raw power is the only one up in that category, imo.
Oh I completely agree, which is why I have a ZL1 and not a GT500. BUT the fact still remains, Chevy came out with the 2012 ZL1 which surpassed the GT500 in power. However Ford then returned the favor by greatly surpassing the ZL1's power. My point is, I'm sure we will see the ZL1 get additional power soon.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
I think your see additional power made to the LSA power plant to up the horsepower first to 580-600HP range for a year or two, then discontinue it for the LT engine series.

Phil
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Don't expect it in the first year of production.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...we have reached the beginning of the uber $ platteu for special high performance. Blue collar is fast being removed from the affordability range, but that was pretold, and we knew it was coming.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #10
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...we have reached the beginning of the uber $ platteu for special high performance. Blue collar is fast being removed from the affordability range, but that was pretold, and we knew it was coming.
I can't say how affordable, exactly, a 69 SS Camaro was new for the common guy, but that ZL1 option back then was that much again on top of the car. I don't see much difference today. We still have affordable, sort of*, models and then you can double the price and get a performance model.

I've often wondered not where the price stops but where there HP plateaus off. How high does it go before they say enough is enough. Last time this happened the gas crisis and government emissions regulations kicked in. What now?

*I put an this puppy up there to say that we still have affordable cars, sort of. Well, with the addition of extra safety equipment and amenities that cars didn't use to have, there isn't really a good cheap option anymore. I remember in the late 90's you could still get a brand new 4 banger S10 pickup for $8000 or so on sale. Not no more. Cars are safer, that's true, but that comes, literally, at a price.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #11
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

Drives: 2013 2SS Hot Wheels Edition
I'm not too sure that they will make a huge power increase. They will increase it but with the new CAFE rules coming in the future years they have to be careful in how much the fuel mileage is affected.

I really think they should improve on the handling of the car and make it more like the 1LE or even the Z/28. Plus they don't want to move the price too high and bring it closer to the Z/28. There is many model variations of the car and it sure is nice to have "options" as a consumer.
DELIVERED APRIL 22nd, 2013 and enjoying every minute since!

Mods:
Cold Air Inductions CAI, CNC Ported Throttle Body, Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can, Smoked Spyder LED Tail Lights, 12" JBL Sub, JBL Amp, Stealth Sub Box, American Racing LT headers and hi-flo cats, Tuned by Davenport, Custom painted interior pieces, Custom painted hood liner and trunk liner, Niche Targa M-130 wheels, LED side markers
mhoskins76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #12
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
I can't say how affordable, exactly, a 69 SS Camaro was new for the common guy, but that ZL1 option back then was that much again on top of the car. I don't see much difference today. We still have affordable, sort of*, models and then you can double the price and get a performance model.

I've often wondered not where the price stops but where there HP plateaus off. How high does it go before they say enough is enough. Last time this happened the gas crisis and government emissions regulations kicked in. What now?

*I put an this puppy up there to say that we still have affordable cars, sort of. Well, with the addition of extra safety equipment and amenities that cars didn't use to have, there isn't really a good cheap option anymore. I remember in the late 90's you could still get a brand new 4 banger S10 pickup for $8000 or so on sale. Not no more. Cars are safer, that's true, but that comes, literally, at a price.
You could still have those 4 bangers pickup trucks today
The problem would be that very few could still get them in the USA , it would have to be build in China , Bangladesh etc and very few people around here will still have jobs at the industry , take a pick !
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #13
IH8OPEC
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Drives: 2010 VR/W 2SS/RS L99
A birdie told me to look at the Cadillac ATS platform for an idea of the Gen 6 Camaro size! (Most likely the ELR coupe) I'm not sure there's room for an LS3 let alone a FI LT engine in that engine bay.

But you can get a 400+ hp factory twin turbo V6 in there!
Old 01-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #14
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8OPEC View Post
A birdie told me to look at the Cadillac ATS platform for an idea of the Gen 6 Camaro size! (Most likely the ELR coupe) I'm not sure there's room for an LS3 let alone a FI LT engine in that engine bay.

But you can get a 400+ hp factory twin turbo V6 in there!
The Alpha chassis was designed for a V8 from the start.