Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Cleantis

Drives: 1979 Camaro
Bought a '13 few months ago, ready to sell already..

Well I finally pulled the trigger on a '13 2SS in January. It came down to the 5.0 mustang or the Camaro. I had owned a '79 Camaro since graduating high school. It had a 355 SBC in it and ran decent. I am into drag racing and ran it bracket for 15+ years. Went 12.0's pretty consistently. So, I follow what these stock cars can do at the track and even though the 5.0 and the Challenger run in the low twelves, 12.22 at 115.18 and 12.253 at 113.86 respectively, I'm like it won't bother me that the Camaro best time stock was a 12.588 at 110.30

Well fast forward to March 2nd 2013. I took a ride to Cecil Dragway. I had been getting used to the SS on the local 4 lane and wanted to see what I could get out of the manual equipped bowtie. There were about 5 new 5.0's there with some having a tune and another with a charger on it. And one stone stock with the exception of ET Streets. They 5.0 guys were pretty cool and gave me so pointers on launching my SS since my '79 was an auto.

Let me tell you guys, way different launching this manual on the track than on the street. First pass I almost stalled it. LOL! On the street I was coming out just above idle. Well over at the track that wasn't working. So, after 12 passes that day I got it down to a 12.79 at 109.55 Not too bad I guess for a rookie.

Now these times people post on the internet are sometimes a little hard to believe and if I didn't see this with my own eyes I would have a hard time believing it. Trust me I am Chevrolet guy through and through but this silver Mustang GT made me a believer that day. I am pitted next to this guy who I got to talk to some that day. He is pretty humble and even let me look at his car top to bottom. Anyway, he bolts on some ET Streets and runs a 12.07 at 114 I looked at the exhaust, stock. He pulled the air filter cover, stock. Looked at the suspension, stock. The spare and jack was even in the trunk. I got into a conversation with another 5.0 guy that had a tune and muffler deletes and was going roughly 2.5 MPH faster than this guy. So no tune on it either. Even comparing the eighth MPH showed almost a 3 MPH difference between the tuned 5.0 and the stock one running 12.0 This 5.0 had the 3.73 gears from the factory, I didn't know there were 3 rear gear choices from the factory. It was a 6M as well.

I like the SS as far as looks many times over compared the 5.0 but the performance of a 5.0 is really decent. Never thought I'd say that in a million years. LOL! That guy that went 12.0 that day said he posts on a couple Mustang sites. I am going to try to find out if he posted that run and see if I can link it.
Cleantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
what in gods name is the DA where you are to get that time for stock
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
PLuche

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT manual
So... whats the exact reason you want to sell it? Because you want to buy a Mustang??

JK they are both great cars but I love my Camaro too much.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I'm afraid if you want a low 12 car stock you have the wrong car. Its just too heavy and geared wrong to be much faster than what you've achieved. Judging by your past history you are not adverse to driving a performance modded car (prior camaro with an engine swap). So if you do a cam/bolt-on package and/or get some 3.91 or 4.11 gear, get a good tune, keep practicing your launches you'll have a low 12 car on street tires and pump gas that on the street you and other will still admire vs a Mustang that hardly anyone will notice.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
lexlueger

Drives: V10 BMW M5, Supercharged 2SS/RS
? If you're trying to keep up with the fastest cars on the street you'll be selling every 6 months. Buy the car you like and live with it or build a beast and decimate all like me
IW 8 RIB PULLEY W/ OD COG REARS
NX EXPRESS/NANO KIT

KDI HEAT EXCHANGER/ROTOFAB RESERVOIR
CIRCLE D 2800 TC/FLEX PLATE/ADM TRANS COOLER
DSS DRIVESHAFT/1400 HP AXLES
EATON TRUETRAC -LPE 3.27 GEARS
DYNATECH HEADERS/MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST
SQUASH RETURN STYLE FS ID 850's E85/ FLEXFUEL
BMR/EIBACH SUSPENSION

KILL MODE, ON.

lexlueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
jiggs420

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS (sold)
When I ran my car at Cecil last September, best I could do was 13.3@ 109
jiggs420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
1966goat

Drives: 2001 Trans Am WS6, 1966 GTO
Send a message via AIM to 1966goat
Maybe its not the car, but the driver....
1966goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
BlueRay-J

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlueger View Post
? If you're trying to keep up with the fastest cars on the street you'll be selling every 6 months. Buy the car you like and live with it or build a beast and decimate all like me
How much $ would you say you have invested in that beast if you dont mind me asking?

Anyway, to the OP, I sometimes feel that way too... with the '14 and 6th Gen around the corner, plus the 5.0 being faster. But, I have had at least 12-15 new cars and never once a Ford. I just cant do it, no matter how fast it is. Ever since they did their oval campaign in the 90's, and many of their cars had oval styling queues, I just cant stomach it. Its too bad because I have a lot of family that works for Ford and can get a better price on them. I guess I can hold a grudge?

In the end, I dont race, so a 1 second difference in the 1/4 doesn't matter. The camaro looks better, and I spend much more time looking at it then gunning it. When I do gun it, it feels good, so no sense in overthinking it. With minimal mods, it can keep up, but there will always be someone faster.
BlueRay-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The Mustang GT is not arguably faster than the Camaro SS. Everyone saying that is just losing a driver's race to a superior driver of an inferior car, especially if you're driving a 1LE. Put a couple of bolt-ons on the car and get some practice launching. If you're into drag racing, this shouldn't be news to you. Modding your car should be second nature.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
Cleantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
what in gods name is the DA where you are to get that time for stock
I heard it was about -500 below sea level.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
Cleantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
I'm afraid if you want a low 12 car stock you have the wrong car. Its just too heavy and geared wrong to be much faster than what you've achieved. Judging by your past history you are not adverse to driving a performance modded car (prior camaro with an engine swap). So if you do a cam/bolt-on package and/or get some 3.91 or 4.11 gear, get a good tune, keep practicing your launches you'll have a low 12 car on street tires and pump gas that on the street you and other will still admire vs a Mustang that hardly anyone will notice.

That's what needs to happen!!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
Mr. Unassailable

Drives: 2010 2SS MT, 2010 SHO, 2004 S60R
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The Mustang GT is not arguably faster than the Camaro SS. Everyone saying that is just losing a driver's race to a superior driver of an inferior car, especially if you're driving a 1LE. Put a couple of bolt-ons on the car and get some practice launching. If you're into drag racing, this shouldn't be news to you. Modding your car should be second nature.
A 1LE is more comparable to a Boss.

I doubt anyone that knows anything would support your "drivers race" comment with money on the line, stock SS vs stock 5.0.

- Clayton. Official C5Fail4 hater.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP, I am not a track expert yet, but your times are much faster than most SSes. And those Mustang times must have come off pure oxygen. But if you say it happened I believe you, you wouldn't to to all that effort if trolling. Even if you are, nice post.

I've raced with a few 5.0s and the manuals usually are low thirteens high 12s. One stock 2013 auto was running 12.4s @114. Wow, I thought.

I only came directly up against one 2013 5.0 manual so far. One time I launched badly but almost ran him down on the big end. The second time we both equally launched badly and I pulled away all the way down the track. Of course I have a few mods. I think I ran 12.80s that run.

I also raced a 2013 GT 500 and maybe I could have beat him with a good run, but I started out in second. Doh! Funny, the car had under a hundred miles on it and the guy was learning how to drive big power. He ran a 12.7. I'm sure I will never get that chance again.

Even though I agree Mustangs are faster, I prefer my slow SS. I do like Mustangs though. One of each is a good plan.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
To whomever said a 1LE shouldn't be losing, it actually has higher gearing than a M6 SS.

Even with the 3.91s, the trans is much higher