Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 08-11-2014, 12:48 AM   #29
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaatu barada nikto View Post
How long now have Delco filters been used by GM?
For as long as they have been making profits?

Not sure dude, thinking out loud here.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:09 AM   #30
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Amsoil
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:02 AM   #31
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I use the Delco filter that is used on the Z06.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #32
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
I use the Delco filter that is used on the Z06.
You only need to due this if you have changed your oil pump for some reason to a really high pressure system.

The Z06 uses the racing version of the pf48 because of the LS7 dry sump oil system having a very high pressure at start up. The LS7 spec'd ACDelco racing filter has a thicker canister shell.

An LS3, L99, LSA... will be perfect with the regular pf48, not going to blow out the canister of a pf48 with those motors.

I've seen tons of engine failures. Not a single one was caused by using the OE filter, or prevented by using one twice as expensive. The engine problems I regularly see are not caused by a filter media being whatever millionth of a micron better than some other brand. Most often a catastropic part failure or installation problem or low on oil or old oil...

About 10 years ago a K Mart near my house had a going out of business sale. Their last couple weeks open, all in automotive was 70% off. I bought 2 shopping carts full of AC Delco oil filters at a hair over a buck a piece. Since then, owned several 5.3L trucks, several cars with LS motors... done a ton of oil changes with those $1 pf48 oil filters. All worked perfect. Keeping my eyes open for the next K Mart to go under.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #33
Camaro Dude

Here is a well known study, comparing oil filters...http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...lterstudy.html

Couple more for good measure:
http://wetwesties1.tripod.com/oilfilterstudy/
http://m.evolutionm.net/showthread.p...158&styleid=28
Old 08-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #34
Russell James

[QUOTE=Camaro Dude;7883085]Here is a well known study, comparing oil filters...http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...lterstudy.html

Your "well known study" is so full of errors, not worth the key strokes to read it.

Click on the filter construction information, and look what they claim to be an ACDelco. Maybe they got a chinese knock off, who knows, but that is not how ACDelco filters are constructed. It says... plastic core, felt end caps, leaf spring blow off spring.

Go purchase an ACDelco PF48 used by the Camaro.

Cut the shell off with a hacksaw. Post pictures. Point out one thing wrong with it.

You will find... metal core, metal end caps, coil spring blow off valve, rubber anti-drain back valve, high quality media.... basically nothing like described in your well known internet study.

So many oil and filter BS studies floating around out there. I believe what I see with my own eyes.

Bust out a hacksaw on a PF48 and let us know what you find. I've used a shtload of them on performance LS motors. All have worked perfectly.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #35
Camaro Dude

^^^^^"That case study" was performed in 2011. I haven't been following AC Delcos production line changes over the years.

Did you click on the other two links?

Nothing is written in stone here, but "common denominators" can be observed if one tallies up the experiments that have been performed. It's not like the end results are all over the place case study to case study.

At the end of the day, it boils down to debating, what is the threshold to what is considered to be over-kill.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #36
Russell James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
"That case study" was performed in 2011. I haven't been following AC Delcos production line changes over the years.

Did you click on the other two links?

Nothing is written in stone here, but "common denominators" can be observed if one tallies up the experiments that have been performed. It's not like the end results are all over the place case study to case study.
What production line changes?

The PF48s I buy now are exactly they same as they were many years ago.

They've always had metal cores, metal end caps, rubber anti-drain back valves, coil spring blow off valves...

Also consistent, is the bad information in studies spread around the internet.

Go buy one, cut it open, let us know what you find compared to described in the studies you've found on the internet.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #37
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
What production line changes?

The PF48s I buy now are exactly they same as they were many years ago.

They've always had metal cores, metal end caps, rubber anti-drain back valves, coil spring blow off valves...

Also consistent, is the bad information in studies spread around the internet.

Go buy one, cut it open, let us know what you find compared to described in the studies you've found on the internet.
I think that I will do that sir.
I have opened up Bosch ones in the past...they passed my specs FWIW.

I'll be gettting back to you.

Do you have pics, because I'll be posting mine.

I hold allegiance to no product, no name..

To be continued...
Old 08-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #38
Russell James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
I think that I will do that sir.
I have opened up Bosch ones in the past...they passed my specs FWIW.

I'll be gettting back to you.

Do you have pics, because I'll be posting mine.

I hold allegiance to no product, no name..

To be continued...
Bosch is a good one too. All the higher quality ones use quality internals.

Cut open a PF48.

Actually don't even need to cut the can off. You can see down the center hole; the core is metal, the end caps are metal, coil spring blow off valve. You can see in the outer holes; rubber anti-drain back valve.

Buy the cheapest Fram you can find. That's where you will find, cardboard end caps, some models with plastic cores...

I have no brand allegiance either. I run WIX racing filters on my drag car because it does everything I need there.

On my car that is in warranty, I like to use the OE one that matches that warranty. When I was a dealer tech, I saw plenty of filters that had problems to stay away from. Basically the real cheap ones with cardboard end caps and junk media that comes apart. Never saw a single issue with an OE filter.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:32 AM   #39
klaatu barada nikto
C5 Best Gen

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Much info on oil filters - cut apart

PF48 vs UPF48R - Page 2 - Corvette Forum
PF48 vs UPF48R - Page 3 - Corvette Forum
klaatu barada nikto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #40
Russell James

Great find! No need for anyone to cut open a bunch of filters, it's been done right there.

Exact same thing I have found over the years. All the good ones are good ones. And there is some POS ones mass marketed at Walmart with cardboard end caps I wouldn't put on my lawn mower.

After the Corvette guys did all that filter research and tear downs, he probably summed it up pretty good by saying:

"For me it's just piece of mind probably. I get the OEM filters & change the oil way sooner than the Oil Life Monitor says. "

end quote

Same thing I do. I prefer the OE, but can't go wrong with any of the good ones.

Just stay away from any of the cheap junk with cardboard end caps. Those real low end ones are the ones that come apart. The media and end cap material starts plugging up oil passages.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:56 PM   #41
Camaro Dude

^^^lol, good, I can save my $10 experiment, no need to cut open anything.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #42
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
I'm with Russell James on this. The AC delco does exactly what I need it to do. The stock stuff in some applications is as good or better than aftermarket. I am a HUGE believer in the factory ignition components for daily driver status.

I was a tech for a short time also and saw the same thing with the cheap cardboard internals falling apart. I saw a half dozen FRAM filters just disintegrate internally and never once saw a AC delco issue.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote