Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #85
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
The PSS is an awfully impressive tire. Once most of the suspension bushing compliance has been taken up, further steering input will have any passengers wishing for better restraints. Never mind how I know this.

11" wide wheels for 285/35-18's does stiffen up the cornering response a little . . . and somehow the ride quality isn't compromised as much I was anticipating.

It's worth noting that the C7/Stingray comes with the PSS (PSS run-flats, actually), and that car wouldn't be as amazing as it is if the tires weren't right there to support its potential.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #86
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
A lot of info to take in here. I'm coming up on 24k miles on my stock Pirellis and am starting to think about my replacements. I was going to go with the NT05 as I'd like to autox a few times a year but now I may get these. This isn't the first place I've heard these types of comments about the Michelins.
FWIW, the last autox I did on the Pirellis was very... entertaining... for onlookers. I was able to steer the car with the loud pedal pretty easily. Best I recall I placed decent enough considering but really needed to be about 3-4 seconds faster on a 65-68 second course.
I'm thinking a set of these and an aggressive alignment may be in order.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #87
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
My next tires. Going on in two weeks as my invos are close to done. Watching So Cal Camoro and the rest of my auto x buddies these tires are the shits. They are great in all the performance catagories, sure cost more but last longer as well and will be a dual purpose tire for street and auto x as they do both better then the rest or worst case equal to.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:01 AM   #88
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
They still work, The top 3 in Modern Muscle this weekend all run them....
Congrats!

I Finally bought a set of 4x PSS: 255/45R20
What Tire pressure you recommend using cold at the track? (& hot?)
Do you add more pressure when street driven?
Any other info on how to maximize it's life?
Thanks

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #89
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
Congrats!

Thanks
I have been running them at 35 front, 33 rear when autocrossing/track...After runs usually have time to let them cool, then before next session, ensure they are at the above pressure. I run the front and rear on the street at 36 as it keeps them off the edges of the tires...saves them for the track.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #90
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Congrats!

Thanks
I try to keep my hot pressures about the same, which would amount to lower "cold pressure" for track/autocross than for street if I was going to be that fussy. Usually I consider the first session or run to be a "throw-away" and simply adjust from wherever they're at when the session or run is over. I happen to run about 4 psi more up front than in the rear, but that may not apply given the differences in rear suspension and weight distribution between my car and yours.

The first track session seems to add about 5 psi, and is partly due to exposure to wheel temperatures that get pretty darn warm (where do you thing the air that keeps your brake rotors from melting goes next?). Autocross is more like 2 - 3 psi on that first run.

Norm
Old 06-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #91
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
I have been running them at 35 front, 33 rear when autocrossing/track...After runs usually have time to let them cool, then before next session, ensure they are at the above pressure. I run the front and rear on the street at 36 as it keeps them off the edges of the tires...saves them for the track.
Thanks.

Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #92
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I try to keep my hot pressures about the same, which would amount to lower "cold pressure" for track/autocross than for street if I was going to be that fussy. Usually I consider the first session or run to be a "throw-away" and simply adjust from wherever they're at when the session or run is over. I happen to run about 4 psi more up front than in the rear, but that may not apply given the differences in rear suspension and weight distribution between my car and yours.

The first track session seems to add about 5 psi, and is partly due to exposure to wheel temperatures that get pretty darn warm (where do you thing the air that keeps your brake rotors from melting goes next?). Autocross is more like 2 - 3 psi on that first run.

Norm
Are you running PSS as well? I've read your using Goodyear Asymmetrics on your last track day...

Old 06-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #93
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I'll be trying 34/32 to 35/33 hot psi when I get mine as well. Those temps worked well with my nitto invos also.My suspension is similar to SoCals and that and other factors help determine whats best for each car/driver.Watch tire rollover to help you see what psi works best.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #94
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Are you running PSS as well? I've read your using Goodyear Asymmetrics on your last track day...
I will be, at least for the track time (plus maybe the transit miles to get there and back).

I have been running the Asymmetrics at my track days as well as for "3-season" general use, mainly because I was waiting on the new wheels to mount the PSS on. I might be able to squeeze one more track day out of the Goodyears, but then I'd be right at the wear bars and need to buy another set of "3-season" tires ASAP (which when I get to that point may well end up being PSS in a slightly narrower, slightly taller size to fit my "3-season" 9.5" wide wheels).

About the time I was running in the open session at the end of the day at the Camaro5/AutoInterests track day, my new wheels landed on my front porch. Since then I've got the PSS's mounted, balanced, scuffed in a bit, and test-driven "moderately hard" a bit. Hard right turns will cause a little rubbing that I have yet to chase down and solve before actually tracking on them.

Norm