Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-16-2018, 11:31 AM   #15
BlackMambaZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
Many car "packages" are letters and emblems and stripes without any value. They are good profit for the dealers and manufacturers charging thousands of dollars for a few hundred dollars of cosmetic add ons.
The ZL1 isn't one of those. Even the overpriced carbon fiber hood air extractor has high speed performance engineering.
My answer your question:
No, not worth it to you
Yes, it's worth it to performance enthusiasts.
I'm making assumptions that Gracie is a female interested in a convertible for a sporty looking convertible car. Not a high performance racing type experience.
Besides higher cost and low mpg's and higher insurance I don't think you would notice the value over a v6 convertible. I would recommend a downgrade to a less expensive v6 over the upgraded ZL1. There were some years with v6 engine issues other's can help explain as I don't follow the v6 engine closely.
Edit: A newer model v6 would have more remaining warranty also. A ZL1 might have no warranty left due to age or modifications.

Apparently women can't appreciate a car aimed for performance enthusiasts let alone want one. If it were up to the silversleeper (who has been asleep since the women's lib movement apparently) Gracie would be in a Volvo grocery getter.

Don't make a recommendation based on sex. Respect the poster and answer the question that was asked. Gracie may be the last name of a male... Let's come back to the 21st century and show the differences between the 2.

I admit I stated that I like the ZL1 because I have owned both. I guess the better way to approach the whole situation is asking what the OP wants. Performance or a daily that can still be really fast and fun. ZL1 for performance and sometimes scary power. SS for daily and manageable power.
764RWHP on e85 683RWHP on 91. M6 Black on Black on Black. 1300ID's, DSX Aux Pump and Flex Fuel Sensor, Lingenfelter 2.5 upper 9.5 lower, 100MM idler, AFCO HX w/ FANS. 1 7/8"ARH exhaust to axle incl LTH, MF's, Fuel Lab FF, Lingenfelter ported snout and TB, Lingenfelter CAI, RotoFab coolant tank, NGK 2 steps colder spark plugs, Moroso catch can, BTR Stage III cam, crank case breather. Tuned by Power Labs in Idaho Falls, ID.
BlackMambaZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #16
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Definitely worth it, buy what you can afford IMO

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #17
OPntop12

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
Had a 12 RS IOM convertible and went to 13 ZL1 convertible. The sound it makes is incredible. Love everything but gas mileage. And I don't drive it everyday, have 15 Canyon for going to work and for towing. I drive it to work on occasion,someone put a big dent in the side at work. Made me made as hell
OPntop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:40 PM   #18
RandyT

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Summit White
Do It

I had a 12 SS and bought a 14 ZL1 the difference between the 2 is amazing

If you are thinking about it pull the trigger
RandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:21 PM   #19
Gracie10
gracie10

Drives: 2016 Tahoe
Yes by all means it is a Minnesota summer driver
Gracie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #20
Gracie10
gracie10

By the way I am a male and Gracie is the name of my Golden Retriever who will be riding with me.
What I am trying to decide is my original question , is a ZL-1 worth the extra 15K over an SS. I have owned many convertibles, 409's, H.O GTO's and GS 455's.
As a newbie to this site I appreciate and respect the input.
However It seems to me that the ZL-1 is the answer.
My best friend moved to Florida and just bought a 2017 ZL-1 and loves it
Old 02-16-2018, 08:31 PM   #21
Gracie10
gracie10

I live in Prior Lake and will only run the car in the summer
Old 02-16-2018, 08:37 PM   #22
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
My 2013 ZL1 is for sale. I'm located in Michigan and can arrange shipping through one of my dealerships. The deal could be financed too, it's going through my pre-owned store. Lots of options.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518675

I'm also a fellow Golden Retriever owner, though my girl Maple never road in my ZL1. I'm sure Gracie would love riding in a ZL1 with you, then again these dogs love ANYTHING they get to do with their owners. The best dog God ever made but I could be biased .
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:39 PM   #23
Gracie10
gracie10

Hi Can't have. While I totally agree with your assessment of Goldens (this is my third and last) I love my dog unconditionally. And, I love your car. However, I am retired and prefer an automatic over a 6-speed otherwise the color and everything else is right on!
Best of luck.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:16 PM   #24
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMambaZL1 View Post

Apparently women can't appreciate a car aimed for performance enthusiasts let alone want one. If it were up to the silversleeper (who has been asleep since the women's lib movement apparently) Gracie would be in a Volvo grocery getter.

Don't make a recommendation based on sex. Respect the poster and answer the question that was asked. Gracie may be the last name of a male... Let's come back to the 21st century and show the differences between the 2.

I admit I stated that I like the ZL1 because I have owned both. I guess the better way to approach the whole situation is asking what the OP wants. Performance or a daily that can still be really fast and fun. ZL1 for performance and sometimes scary power. SS for daily and manageable power.
Feel better now that you got your Social Justice Warrior tantrum all done? From what little info we had, we were left to guess. That SJW charade doesn't help anyone in the real world. Turns out Gracie is a dog. So you have some politically correct car recommendations for a dog
Famous females who are car people...all girls garage, girls who's fathers were into motorsports...Danica Patrick, John Force's daughters,,,, Ted Jannetty mentioned his daughter took the ZL1 to the 1/4mi. If you feel better believing I don't know .001% of females are into cars then

Sounds like Gracie10 knows about cars and would enjoy a ZL1 now that we know more about him.

My Golden Retriever is shedding like crazy now that it's started to warm up.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #25
Red Hot ZL1

Drives: 2014 Red Hot ZL1 Vert. M6.
I have a '14 convertible. When I was shopping I drove several SSs, coupes and convertible. This also included a 1LE. I love the open top.

Then I drove the ZL1 coupe, they did not have a ZL1 vert in stock. What hooked me on the ZL1 was the brute, harnessed, racecar force. All I have owned was muscle cars so the ZL1 wasn't strange to me.

The ZL1 has much more stock power and handles better than the SS (my SIL has a '14 1LE).

They got me the vert in two days.
Red Hot ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #26
2013ZL1FUN

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 BRM
I have a 2013 ZL1 Vert. It is a true Pro Touring Supercar, that you can buy stock.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #27
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
When Chevy came out with the convertible 5th gen SS in 2011, I bought one. Before my 2011 SS Vert was delivered, GM announced the ZL1 !!

Dammit, I don't even take delivery and there's something better??? Ah, but the 2012 ZL1 wasn't available as a convertible. As soon as they announced the ZL1 convertible for 2013 I bought one of those.

I will say that going from a 2011 SS convertible to a 2013 ZL1 convertible is summed up in one word.
WOW!
HUGE difference, better performance (DUH), much better handling and ride due mostly to the new MHR suspension.

I do not normally race/track the car, so I'm not real concerned with the ZL1 Vert having a more modest top speed of 'only' 155mph, nor does the lack of all 5 PTM's bother me.
When I first bought the car, it was my summer DD and drove it to work all the time.

Now that I'm retired, It's just a casual driver, summer only still.

Even tho I don't normally 'race' the car, I have had it on MIS (Michigan International Speedway) for a few high speed 'parade laps' and with the top down and three passengers, hitting 115mph felt like I was going 35mph. It's that stable at speed.

I've also taken it on an afternoon of laps at Michigan's M1 road course and loved the hell out of it.

I've also taken it on the track at Michigan's Gingerman's raceway for a day.

Of course when I do track the car, it's in a beginners/novice group, but it's a wonderful car for a casual 'racer'.

the car it totally stock except for a CAI, but as far as I'm concerned 515WHP is a perfect amount. Enough to give you a good kick in the pants when you want, without being so much you can loose control too easily.

Does the ZL1 cost more than an SS? Certainly.
Is it worth the added cost? ABSOLUTLEY !!!
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:26 PM   #28
L36L72LS3
Jersey Jeff

Drives: 1969 Camaro L89/T400 ~ 2015 ZL1
I bought a new 2011 2SSRS when it came out. No question, a sharp car. BUT......, it was still just a Camaro. Nothing personal and "to each their own"
Stepped up to a new 2015 ZL1 A6 (I got tired of rowing the gears) Night and day difference on all levels. Most will never, really, push the car to its peak. Just study the suspension, both front and rear, the bullet-proofed rear and the aerodynamics; a true engineer's marvel. "Get in, shut up and hold on"

JerseyJeff
L36L72LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote