Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #1
Texicans73

Drives: N/A
6th Gen Sport Car Comparable

Hi All,

My first post here. Can you share your thoughts on with which modern sports car the 6th Gen v6 6M is most similar? I've read many positive articles, but can't help but think the comments are made from a "...for a Camaro" perspective.

I'd like to pick up a modern driver's car and have long considered a NC/ND Miata. Do you think the 6th Gen v6 makes a good driver's car? I'm interested in a 1LE v6 and was impressed with video interviews where the Camaro marketing staff claim the 6th gen v6 1LE is nearing 5th gen SS models lap times at Willow Springs. How impressive is this for the v6 engine? What type of lateral g's will the v6 1LE pull? How close are these lap times.

I know 0-60 and 1/4 times don't tell a whole story, but I find it interesting to compare the v6 times to prior generation muscle cars and sports cars. It seems we're in a special time for sports cars.

Thanks for your time and sharing your thoughts.

John M.
Texicans73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:10 AM   #2
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
I had a 2012 2LT/RS Vert, and now have a 2016 2LT/RS vert. With each car, I absolutely LOVED the road trips! The Gen 6's are even more comfortable than the Gen 5's. Seats are very supportive (although I would have liked a lumbar adjust option) and the car just feels good on long road trips.

I'd definitely say it's a driver's car as well as a racer.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:27 AM   #3
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
The new Gen 6 Camaro is comparable to this with half the price!
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:49 AM   #4
camaro-dreamer

Drives: 2013 Porsche 981S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBlueCamaro View Post
Clearly, you have never driven a 981. There is no contest.

OP, I don't think anyone knows that much about the drivability of a v6 1LE. You may want to wait to see one at the dealer. Anything else would be speculation at this point.
camaro-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:58 AM   #5
andrec10

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6SP/Suby Legacy 6
2SS > M4....

Its Here! Finally came home on 3-31-16! Red Hot 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Silver Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, 56W Split Spoke Wheels, Body color Hood vents, Body color Splash Guards and winter protection package.

Ordered 1-28-16: 1100
2-11-2016 :2000
2-15-2016: 3000 TPW of 3/7...That went quick!
2-26-2016: 3400 Status TPW 3/7
3-5-2016 : 3800
3-8-2016 : 4300
3-11-2016 : 4B00
3-15-2016 : 4200
3-22-2016 : 4800
3-29-2016 : 6000!
andrec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:28 AM   #6
mjw930

Drives: 2015 Porsche BGTS, 2016 2SS
Quote:
Ah, NO, not even close, I own both......

Although more closely aligned with the ATS, the V6 Camaro most closely matches the BMW 4 Series or Mercedes C-Class Coupe though it's not really up to their standards of fit, finish and refinement (sorry). Then again it's far less expensive and a great value IMHO.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:47 AM   #7
MiamiBlueCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro-dreamer View Post
Clearly, you have never driven a 981. There is no contest.

OP, I don't think anyone knows that much about the drivability of a v6 1LE. You may want to wait to see one at the dealer. Anything else would be speculation at this point.
I said comparable not better!
Old 05-10-2016, 07:52 AM   #8
MiamiBlueCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post

Although more closely aligned with the ATS, the V6 Camaro most closely matches the BMW 4 Series or Mercedes C-Class Coupe though it's not really up to their standards of fit, finish and refinement (sorry). Then again it's far less expensive and a great value IMHO.

Lets wait and hopefully Motor Trend do a comparison with a 911! and with half the price is "comparable" to the Porsche
Old 05-10-2016, 08:08 AM   #9
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
You said you was interested in a V6 1LE??? Those, in my opinion, are going to be absolutely fantastic driver's cars. Light weight (relatively) with track oriented suspension...if its handling that you are after, and not crazy amounts of power, it is the one for you.

GM has already said it laps basically the same times on their test track as the last gen SS. So one can assume that it loses time on the straights to the 5th gen SS, but makes up the time in handling and braking.

That said, even if you didn't get the 1LE version, even the standard V6 appears to be a great drivers car.

This might sound strange, but I don't get many chances to go WOT on my SS...its just so stinking fast lol. I kind of miss wringing out my old 5th gen V6.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:18 AM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texicans73 View Post
Hi All,

My first post here. Can you share your thoughts on with which modern sports car the 6th Gen v6 6M is most similar? I've read many positive articles, but can't help but think the comments are made from a "...for a Camaro" perspective.
I'm thinking closer in overall character to the 350Z than any Miata/MX5, though still slightly bigger and heavier. In 1LE trim I'd expect the V6 6th gen to close the gap in terms of "feel" somewhat.

Any of today's ~300 HP sports cars, sporty cars, and sport sedans would be in the thick of the street performance scene if you could somehow teleport them back to, say, 1968. Trust me on this, the original muscle cars and the more powerful ponycars were loud, rude and kind of crude, and not all that fast by today's standards.

Norm
Old 05-10-2016, 08:56 AM   #11
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texicans73 View Post
Hi All,

I'd like to pick up a modern driver's car and have long considered a NC/ND Miata. Do you think the 6th Gen v6 makes a good driver's car? I'm interested in a 1LE v6 and was impressed with video interviews where the Camaro marketing staff claim the 6th gen v6 1LE is nearing 5th gen SS models lap times at Willow Springs. How impressive is this for the v6 engine? What type of lateral g's will the v6 1LE pull? How close are these lap times.

I know 0-60 and 1/4 times don't tell a whole story, but I find it interesting to compare the v6 times to prior generation muscle cars and sports cars. It seems we're in a special time for sports cars.

Thanks for your time and sharing your thoughts.

John M.
I don't have a specific source to reference here but I believe the engineers where stating the V6 1LE was very close to 5th gen SS 1LE times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet.com
A beautifully balanced daily driver, the V6 Camaro LT 1LE is also a beast on the track. Featuring more aggressive suspension tuning, standard Brembo® brakes, and Goodyear® Eagle F1 tires, the LT 1LE delivers an estimated 0.97 g in cornering grip, offering driver enthusiasts consistent lap after lap performance on the track.

“With a curb weight under 3,500 pounds, excellent front-to-rear weight balance and the precision of the FE3 suspension, the Camaro LT 1LE offers unmatched capability in its class,” said Oppenheiser. “As a result, it offers incredible performance for Camaro V6 customers.
For what its worth the way I view the engine lineup in the Gen 6 is as follows

Turbo 4 (275HP) = '96-'97 4th Gen LT1 V8 (275HP)

6th Gen V6 (335HP) = '98-'02 4th Gen LS1 V8 (305-325HP)

As far as what I would compare the car to performance wise. The V6 1LE is essentially an SS with a V6 engine. So anything that an SS can hang with in the corners so can the V6 1LE. The alpha chassis was built so the Cadillac could outperform the BMW, Benz, and Audi in the sports sedan class. The ATS has proven it. Now that chassis is inherited by the camaros so the chassis is no longer the weak point of the car like it was in the past.

Performance wise not luxury wise I would match this car against BMW 4 series coupe, Merc C-Class coupe, and the Lexus RC. The Hyundai Genesis coupe and Nissan 370Z might out class the car a hair since they are lighter and more powerfull, but in terms of the Mustang and Challenger, the Camaro is a much better performer.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:04 AM   #12
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post

Quote:
Lets wait and hopefully Motor Trend do a comparison with a 911! and with half the price is "comparable" to the Porsche
Sorry but the Camaro SS 1LE isn't even in the 911 league yet. I see the GT4 being close in performance metrics to the SS 1LE, but we still don't know that. Even so it would be a stretch to compare the V6 camaro to even a Base Cayman. Just apples and oranges.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #13
mjw930

Drives: 2015 Porsche BGTS, 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Sorry but the Camaro SS 1LE isn't even in the 911 league yet. I see the GT4 being close in performance metrics to the SS 1LE, but we still don't know that. Even so it would be a stretch to compare the V6 camaro to even a Base Cayman. Just apples and oranges.
The C7 Corvette is barely in the 911 league, why someone would compare the Camaro with a Porsche perplexes me. Comparing it to an Audi S5 makes a lot more sense if you must compare it to something in the PAG/VAG portfolio.

Remember, there's a whole lot more than track times that factor into what makes one car "better" than another and "better" is a very subjective term. What you should focus on is what you or the average buyer would cross shop. That is a better indication of what the user's needs are and how well a particular car fill those needs.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #14
archer1965

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec
Rear drive, well equipped, 348HP, similar torque, nicely balanced, drivers car. About $30K.

I had a 2012 2.0 Turbo R-Spec, very fun car to drive for $23K.