Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
Mellish50

Drives: 2011 SW M6 2SS
Old vs New Question. Please end my suffering

Hey everyone, little back story to my problem.

I work with a bunch of army guys which is awesome fun but there is one guy that today was completely driving me up the wall. He's in his 50's or 60's and apparently a huge car guy which now I feel I should be questioning a lot, here's why:

1st off, all day he was taking shots at me asking why I picked white for my car and that Its a bad colour.. that alone made me want to put him into retirement :P But him also saying how the old muscle cars from the 60's and 70's had the same HP or much more then these modern cars and running 10s at the drag.

Here's how the rest of the day went: Me essentially saying he's on crack for thinking those cars were stock running 10s and him using wikipedia and "his experience" to say im wrong. His car of choice through the arguments was the 69-70 Dart 440 which according to him would be running about 10s at the strip and that it and others like it would just run over modern muscle like my SS . Last I checked (might be wrong) but doesn't the Dart 440 run like 13s stock?

Final thing that drove me up the wall was our argument over modern V6's. He said its impossible for a V6 to push into the 10s and that he would never want a V6. Told him again he is on crack due to the fact the V6 camaro comes stock with more HP then most old muscle and that with mods it can perform like any V8, old or new. I believe the v6 Camaro, Mustang and possibly Challenger are all incredible cars that are great stock and with insane potential.

He continued to ramble on about how V8 is ultimately better then V6 and then went on about how my SS doesn't sound like a V8, every single day he takes shots at me over it and continues to ask if im sure its a V8 or not while saying behind my back to the other guys that I don't know anything about the car i drive...

I'm not a car expert, nor will I ever pretend like I am, but arguing with this guy everyday (no way to avoid it, believe me) leaves me with a gut feeling I'm completely right in all aspects of our arguments.

Which Is why Im here to tell you all this and to see if you can tell me if Im right or wrong, plus WTF should i do? Is there any fact behind his claims?

Sorry for the rant, the heat were getting here and this old man taking stabs at my car and making it sound like a P.O.S has me feeling all Gerber inside and surprisingly quite bothered. On a funny/lighter note. I told him my SS will destroy his smart car, eat it up and spit it out all over the road along side his precious super powered old muscle.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Tell him his Smart car is fag'n up your ozone!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
Mellish50

LMFAO thats hilarious lol might just tell him that tomorrow for round 99999999999999
Old 06-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
You just blow off guys like this...don't get sucked in. Of course he's clueless. Part of the attraction for hounding you is getting a rise outt ya. Remember when you were a kid and you picked on your little brother or sister? That's what he's doing to you. Don't argue with him.

By the way, what kind of car does he drive to work?
Old 06-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Mellish50

He drives a smart car to work

He said he's looking for a new car since his isn't big enough, I told him to look into the base model Mustang, challenger or Camaro since they're all really good for the price, they're also within the price range he said he was in. Thats how the V6 vs V8 vs Old V8 thing started...
Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
He knows he struck a nerve, so he'll keep pushing your buttons...

Try pushing it back on him: Ask him if his wife is going to let him pick the car this time. Tell him Power Wheels are for kids.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Saltyflats
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3 6 speed.
Dog the piss out of his Smart Car.
Tell him you will spot his ride 50 lengths in the 1/4 mile
Offer to run him in 4th gear from a dig
Ask him how that transmission in the Smart is treating him
Tell him the ONLY car more homo then his Smart is a LeCar
Beat him at his own game...
I'd love to work with this doosch myself.
Saltyflats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
a couple of things:

Horsepower until 1971 was GROSS horsepower - not NET horsepower - so he's comparing apples to oranges.

No stock muscle car ran in the 10s - nor did they run in the 11s or 12s for that matter (other than perhaps the ZL1...)

You mention that he drives a 'smart-car'

Ask him for the EPA rating on a Smart Car - then ask him what the MSRP is.

Then show him where the Chevy Cobalt (same year as his smart car) got 38mpg and holds 4 people and has a comprehensive warranty and rides like a real car)

Then show him that the new Cruze Eco gets 42 miles per gallon.

Lastly - ask him why the world isn't awash in 'smart cars' - (there IS a reason...)

Do this respectfully -
Old 06-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
Taintedveins
Shark attack!

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
If you know any one with a v6 have them pull up one day and have his car "mysterious" breakdown then he is in the vehicle and can get a rise for once.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
Matt4949

Drives: 05 Cadi CTS, 12 Subaru Impreza
You tell him...

Fact of the matter is, anybody who could buy a smart car after looking at it has their taste in cars negated automatically.

But either way, '69 and '70 are two entirely different generations of the Dart. Strike one. In 69 the 440 was rated 375hp stock at 3500lbs. In '70, there was no 440. Strike two. 10's stock out of the box? Never. Probably low 13s. Strike 3. The Camaro is rated 426hp stock at 3800lbs.

Dart power to weight ratio: 9.33 Camaro power to weight ratio: 8.92

'69 Dart wins on paper (stock), but I still say he's an idiot.
Matt4949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
Majic
Majic

Drives: 2018 1LT Black...V6
Well...I'll represent the old guys.....I'm 64. There was NO 60's muscle car that would run with a modern muscle car. I had a '69 Dodge Superbee...HEMI...ran in the low 13's. They were gross HP but were underrated for insurance reasons. the big issue then was traction due to lousey tires. Now, that being said.....put slicks on it and a little tweeking got you mid 12's and some high 11's. Easy to do with today's too. Just take comfort that the guy is an idiot and move on.
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #12
proj3ktpat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
Haha you are falling right into it man. He knows exactly how to get a rise out of you and he will exploit that every chance he gets. My older brother has been like that his entire life, but he doesn't really even try on me because I don't give him the response he wants. Next time he says something about it just be like, "Whatever man, enjoy your ride home in that beast of a machine that you drive." Just leave it at that. Keep your responses short and uninterested after that and he will get bored. You just have to know that he's showing off how immature he is, and you can be the bigger man. If he keeps coming just use responses that show off how big he talks for how little he has:

"Why don't you bring your 440 dart up here and prove me wrong, oh wait you don't have one? My bad."
"How long were you on the waiting list for that smart out there? I heard you have to have bought at least 3 other gay cars before they will even consider you for the exclusive smart."
"No way, you have a smart? Well I guess someone has to sacrifice their manhood for the environment." (he sounds like someone who has to reaffirm his manliness every chance he gets)

Of course the best option is just to not respond to him at all or just say 'whatever' and 'sure' if you must respond. But if you want to have a little fun with him you have a lot more to play with than he does. You know like an actual american v8 muscle car that you get to enjoy everyday.
proj3ktpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #13
YOURWORSTNIGHTMARE
ur principal is ur friend

Drives: RED 2004 C5 CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW2011 View Post
Well...I'll represent the old guys.....I'm 64. There was NO 60's muscle car that would run with a modern muscle car. I had a '69 Dodge Superbee...HEMI...ran in the low 13's. They were gross HP but were underrated for insurance reasons. the big issue then was traction due to lousey tires. Now, that being said.....put slicks on it and a little tweeking got you mid 12's and some high 11's. Easy to do with today's too. Just take comfort that the guy is an idiot and move on.

Amen....60 here and had a number of early Mopar muscle. My last one was an older Dart that we dropped a 440 into. Could neither keep up, nor corner, nor brake like todays modern muscle!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
shinzon
Night Fury

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Sounds like he just likes getting you fired up. Just agree with him. When you argue with an idiot it just makes you look bad.

Also run the 1/4 ten times hotlapped, then see if that 1969 can do 11 ?

Also everything has it's moment in time, and no car is really an apple to apple comparo. esp those from 40 years ago.

if none if this helps, tell him ...wait he drives a smart car and then talks muscle....that is like a vegatarian talking about eating at the OUTBACK Steakhouse.

enough of this , why does this butt fondler bother you ?

2014 Black ZL1 - Toothless -
Previous Lovers :2014 1LE , 2010 2SS RS,2004 GTO, 2000 Camaro SS x 2
shinzon is offline   Reply With Quote