Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-24-2017, 12:14 AM   #1
ARuiz9

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE
BTR stage 2 cam

Looking to find the right cam to compliment my 1LE, my car has CAI inc intake and Kooks 1 7/8 LTs. I was wondering if anyone is running this cam and how do you like it? Power? Driveability? Gas mileage vs stock? Sound? Etc.

I don't race the car and don't intend to just looking for a cam that will be better than stock which is why MPG is a factor and also why I don't want a big cam.
ARuiz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:36 AM   #2
Ashen L99

Drives: Ashen grey, 1SS, L99
I've met a lot of cool camaro owners at cars and coffee with this cam in there setup, and every time I talk to them and ask, they say go stage 3. They wish they would've went stage 3. The stage 3 owners for the most part are happy.
Roto-fab CAI, Nick Williams 102mm TB, LOD X1 V3 intake manifold, GMPP LS3 heads, Night Fury cam, TSP 2” long tubes, Corsa ZL-1 catback, Nitrous Outlet 102mm plate kit/150 shot, NGK BR7EF plugs with Taylor plug wires, DSX flex fuel kit, ZL-1 fuel pump and injectors, B&M deep trans pan, Yank 3400 converter, 3.45s with BMR Delrin bushings, mishimoto 169° Thermostat, GM ground effects, T-Rex upper grill, Z/28 Spoiler, Lolly pop Lime brake calipers, ZL1 10 spoke wheels, 12” subwoofer, and custom paint matched interior.
Ashen L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #3
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Kind of in the same boat, and I've com across a lot of the same sentiment. I want a power improvement, of course, but track the car a bit, so I'm also looking at valve train longevity, so I won't go too high a lift. Also considering FI, so want to make a cam choice that will work well with that, eventually.

Are you planning on doing the work yourself, or a shop in the area? Most in the East Valley seem to gravitate towards Cordes, but I've heard a couple in Phoenix are top notch as well.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
We run the Frankenstein FED-1 cam on some daily driven 1LE/SS cars. makes great mid range power with stock like driving manners also.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:49 PM   #5
ARuiz9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen L99 View Post
I've met a lot of cool camaro owners at cars and coffee with this cam in there setup, and every time I talk to them and ask, they say go stage 3. They wish they would've went stage 3. The stage 3 owners for the most part are happy.
I'm kind of in the middle between those 2 cams. Do you know why they say that?
Old 10-24-2017, 03:53 PM   #6
ARuiz9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
Kind of in the same boat, and I've com across a lot of the same sentiment. I want a power improvement, of course, but track the car a bit, so I'm also looking at valve train longevity, so I won't go too high a lift. Also considering FI, so want to make a cam choice that will work well with that, eventually.

Are you planning on doing the work yourself, or a shop in the area? Most in the East Valley seem to gravitate towards Cordes, but I've heard a couple in Phoenix are top notch as well.
I have a friend that will do the work but I also considered Cordes, if money wasn't an issue I would just go to Cordes because they are down the road from where I work. What shops in Phoenix do you know of?
Old 10-24-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
Hixson

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
We run the Frankenstein FED-1 cam on some daily driven 1LE/SS cars. makes great mid range power with stock like driving manners also.
are the FED cams and cam kits exclusive to the Ls3 engines, or are they L99 VVT friendly?
Hixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:28 PM   #8
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixson View Post
are the FED cams and cam kits exclusive to the Ls3 engines, or are they L99 VVT friendly?
Yes sir we have VVT versions as well.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
Ashen L99

Drives: Ashen grey, 1SS, L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARuiz9 View Post
I'm kind of in the middle between those 2 cams. Do you know why they say that?
From what I've heard, the stage 3 is the most popular because it's the best between drive ability and power on a stock converter. the stage 2 guys thought that, like you, they don't want a huge cam but want to upgrade. Well then they realize that after the cams installed gas mileage goes down either way, more so than they expect, so why not go for more power? My buddy has a stage III and on the stock converter drive ability is just like stock.
Roto-fab CAI, Nick Williams 102mm TB, LOD X1 V3 intake manifold, GMPP LS3 heads, Night Fury cam, TSP 2” long tubes, Corsa ZL-1 catback, Nitrous Outlet 102mm plate kit/150 shot, NGK BR7EF plugs with Taylor plug wires, DSX flex fuel kit, ZL-1 fuel pump and injectors, B&M deep trans pan, Yank 3400 converter, 3.45s with BMR Delrin bushings, mishimoto 169° Thermostat, GM ground effects, T-Rex upper grill, Z/28 Spoiler, Lolly pop Lime brake calipers, ZL1 10 spoke wheels, 12” subwoofer, and custom paint matched interior.
Ashen L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:19 PM   #10
RS Speedriver

Drives: 2018 camaro 1ss 1LE
yea but if u looking for 500hp to the wheels on a NA Build with a stage 3 cam btr cam for 380 bucks. that made 470hp RWHP with 2 inch headers x pipe and zl1 catback. if u have more bolt ons u should have no problem getting to that mark. i will be ordering mine soon
RS Speedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:06 PM   #11
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
I have a friend that will do the work but I also considered Cordes, if money wasn't an issue I would just go to Cordes because they are down the road from where I work. What shops in Phoenix do you know of?
Not familiar with any others, but I know there is another LS based shop in Phoenix that has been mentioned on the forum before. Try looking in the Southwest thread, I think there may be a thread in there mentioning other shops.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:10 AM   #12
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
IF your looking to do a cam with our engine...you could go ASA cam for lower lift and not so unfriendly to the valve train and having to change springs so often......Other than that go big or go home is what I would say as having a stage three plus 235/239 from TSP first and now a stage 3 what others would call...but being more like a stage one now they drive and eat gas the same even with a wider LSA and less duration they both need springs about 25 K.....so its true just for us, our lift makes it necessary...go big or go home your in the same boat to upgrade unless your staying lower lift like GMs hot cam or ASA...... and don't use beehives....
Old 10-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #13
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I've been kicking around something like this for my 1LE:

Vengeance Racing VRSP-2 Camshaft- 227/235 .614/.621 115+4

The specs look like it would still have great driveability, and real strong mid upper tq.

And it's made by Cam Motion, so you can spec out the better core material.

Not sure what kind of lobes it uses, but seems to be a decent, not too crazy cam.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:07 PM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Looking to find the right cam to compliment my 1LE, my car has CAI inc intake and Kooks 1 7/8 LTs. I was wondering if anyone is running this cam and how do you like it? Power? Driveability? Gas mileage vs stock? Sound? Etc.

I don't race the car and don't intend to just looking for a cam that will be better than stock which is why MPG is a factor and also why I don't want a big cam.
Have you looked at JRE rough Idle street cam package?

There are tons of Youtube vids search JRE cam or JRE 470

Our cam package give that great muscle car sound, great street manners and great highway fuel economy when combined with our Legendary tuning.

Feel free to contact us for more details.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, btr cam, btr stage 2, cam, fuel economy