Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
saabsonic

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 1SS RS
Tweeters added to rear side panels-B/A

My 2010 SS with Boston Acoustics has decent sound, but has always seemed too much from the front and rear.

I've added a pair of Rockford Fosgate R1T-S 1" tweeters, below the small rear side windows, in the R+L side panels... just behind the front seat backs. I wired them to the bi-amplified tweeter connections on the rear shelf B/A ovals.

The sound is much wider now, with the new tweeters blending nicely with the right and left front window frame tweeters, and those in the rear ovals.

Best $30 upgrade I've added ever!
saabsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Excellent mod for sure, that is a great place to add sound.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #3
Lawdog86

Drives: 2011 2SS Black w/Orange Stripes
Do you have pics, are you still running the BA 6x9's? Sounds like a nice setup.

Snoman, I'm planning to change out the front and rears, I putting the JL ZR650-CSi in the front and planning to put the 6.5 JL 650x coaxils in the rear, do you think i would get better sound out of running 6.5 components in the rear and using the same idea for the tweeter set up? Im pushing all this with the HD400/4 amp.

Thanks as always guys!
Lawdog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:20 PM   #4
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
Yeah pictures would be great !! I like the idea !
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:19 AM   #5
fhpchris

Drives: 2015 Summit White Z/28 #97
Guys, please do not do this. Doing this will mess your staging up really badly. If you replace the front component set with something decent it will sound amazing. The only sound coming from the rear should be from a subwoofer. The 6x9s are complete garbage and should just be thrown away.

I don't mean to be negative. I only want to educate everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdog86 View Post

Snoman, I'm planning to change out the front and rears, I putting the JL ZR650-CSi in the front and planning to put the 6.5 JL 650x coaxils in the rear, do you think i would get better sound out of running 6.5 components in the rear and using the same idea for the tweeter set up? Im pushing all this with the HD400/4 amp.

Thanks as always guys!
Don't put anything in the rear. Spend the money on an Audison from a real Audison dealer and have them use the Bit Tune on your car. Run the JL components in the front active ( one amp channel per speaker) and do not use the passive crossovers. Get a subwoofer for the back, even if it is just a sealed 10 or 12 in a properly sized enclosure.
fhpchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhpchris View Post
Guys, please do not do this. Doing this will mess your staging up really badly. If you replace the front component set with something decent it will sound amazing. The only sound coming from the rear should be from a subwoofer. The 6x9s are complete garbage and should just be thrown away.

I don't mean to be negative. I only want to educate everyone.

Don't put anything in the rear. Spend the money on an Audison from a real Audison dealer and have them use the Bit Tune on your car. Run the JL components in the front active ( one amp channel per speaker) and do not use the passive crossovers. Get a subwoofer for the back, even if it is just a sealed 10 or 12 in a properly sized enclosure.

If done right the stock location for tweeters and speakers should suffice. No need to get creative and additional speakers in odd locations. At that rate, you're just chopping up your car.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #7
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhpchris View Post
...The only sound coming from the rear should be from a subwoofer.....
100% false. ok...maybe 99%. There are that 1% that are physically unable to comprehend what 4-channel immersion is
Old 02-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #8
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdog86 View Post

Thanks as always guys!

Yes. Fully recommend 6.5's in the rears over 6x9s, will sound better all day long. Especially if running a sub.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:10 PM   #9
Lawdog86

Drives: 2011 2SS Black w/Orange Stripes
Thanks Snoman, yes i have a single W7, running off a 1000 slash amp
Lawdog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:49 PM   #10
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
I think I am so confused I am going to cry. LOL
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #11
djcfuzz
Do somethin fun every day

Drives: 2012 45th V6 RS M6
I tested all 8 of the rear speaker wires and indeed there is some conflicting info on C5. For the right speaker the high pass is light blue positive, light blue black negative, for the left speaker the high pass is dark blue positive, dark blue white negative. All hooked up, mounted on the rear window sill, no drilling, no holes.

Last edited by djcfuzz; 02-12-2017 at 03:18 PM.
djcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #12
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
Front sound stage is all that matters, rear fill if you want it and a nice sub, not sure what's so confusing?
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:45 PM   #13
Imdyinhere
Keeper of the Gold Acorn

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcfuzz View Post
This is just a big no no.

Lets talk shall we. First of all there will be a lot of people who argue that rear fill is unnecessary and others who feel the opposite. Personally i use my rear speakers to fill the slight run off in frequency between my component door speakers and my 12" sub. I could push more midbass through my door speakers but given the ever changing environment that is our doors i opted for some good bynines in the rear deck. I tried components back there but just couldn't get the frequency response I wanted. What i noticed was that with proper tuning ( iam running active with a Zapco Z8 processor), the rear fill speakers brought my stage up a bit more and offered a bit more depth of stage. This is due to reflection off the back glass and th ability to manage the frequencies going through them via 31 band parametric eq.

I have to disagree with my dear friend Snoman with regards to 4 channel immersion. that is best left for home theaters. period. Music is not meant to be listened to in surround sound or 5.1 for that matter (ie. ditch the center channel.) You really can get all you need from the music you listen to in a stereo environment. No need to broadcast voice and high instrument frequencies from behind. When you listen to live music, do you sit on the stage with the band or are they in front of you performing?

In the end, do what you feel sounds best to you. It is your car after all and I respect that. But you might just get someone who knows car audio in your ride sometime to listen to your stereo and they will get out shaking their head. Its not that its wrong per se, but it is well off the beaten path of tried and true sound quality.
2011 RJT 2SS/RS - Kooks 1-7/8 Long Tubes, High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat Back Exhaust, MTI Short Throw Shifter, Vmax Ported Throttle Body, Fasster Billet Fuel Rails & Custom Braided Vapor and Fuel Lines, CAI Cold Air Intake, RX Catch Can, Nitto Invos, Hawk HPS, BMR Trailing Arms, 2x Zapco ST4x-SQ amps, ST850x-II Sub amp, Morel Tempo 6 componenets, Morel Maximo 6x9, Morel 124 Primo Sub, Zapco DSP8Z Processor... More to Come.
Imdyinhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:48 AM   #14
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imdyinhere View Post
This is just a big no no.

I have to disagree with my dear friend Snoman with regards to 4 channel immersion. that is best left for home theaters. period. Music is not meant to be listened to in surround sound or 5.1 for that matter (ie. ditch the center channel.) You really can get all you need from the music you listen to in a stereo environment. No need to broadcast voice and high instrument frequencies from behind. When you listen to live music, do you sit on the stage with the band or are they in front of you performing?

Tags
b/a tweeters added