Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-19-2017, 09:00 AM   #1
SSnakeEater

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Driver side window wind noise

After countless hours of reviewing threads I cannot come to the conclusion that I am having the same problem as others are. Many people that are hearing wind noise due to the mirror are also stating that there is a whistle pitch as well. I am not hearing a whistle at all. It does however, sound like a tornado (slight exaggeration) in my car when I drive at 65+. On windy days it can be as low as 40mph. It has been at the dealer 4 times now and they can't figure it out. They have new door jambs on order but I don't think that is the issue.

I test drove a new car on the lot identical to mine and it is night and day quieter. Considering my cars exhaust is considerably louder than stock I would think it would be harder to hear the wind noise. Does anyone have any insight so I can take it to my dealer so we can fix this issue. I have a 40 minute commute and it is driving me nuts!!!
SSnakeEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
cmeJATT

Drives: SS-6-SPD
sadly i have the same issue.

i just put my music up lol
cmeJATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:35 AM   #3
Sportsfan949

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 Non-NPP
Same issue here. Dealer tried everything to find source. Finally removing mirror, taping holes, and testdriving. No noise. Reinstalled the same mirror. Noise is now gone.

Conclusion: it seems that the mirror aerodynamically just on the edge of kicking a lot of turbulent wind at the side window, ambient wind condition matters also. Example: during test drive north on freeway no noise, turn south and the wind hitting the side window is horrible and defining.
Seems that when my mirror bolts were loosened and re tightened the mirror was repositioned just minutely enough that 90% of the wind noise is gone.

It's frustrating, hope this helps.
Sportsfan949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:13 PM   #4
archer1965

interesting. I have the same noise but on passenger side. Dealer can't figure it out either, but now I'll mention tightening/re-positioning the mirror.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:13 PM   #5
miketan

Drives: 2018 HBM SS 1LE
I took my car into one of my dealers 4 times for this and they were never able to fix it and eventually denied hearing it/being able to reproduce it.

I took it to another dealership and they were able to fix it on the first attempt. They confirmed the source of the noise by taping up all the gaps in the drivers side and slowly removed one at a time until they narrowed it down to the mirror.
miketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
nearwater

Drives: '17 2SS 50th
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but my ‘17 coupe has developed a wind noise on the passenger side.
It’s not very loud, but I can definitely notice it and it’s intermittent. Every 1-2 seconds or so.
Anyone who’s had this issue, how did the dealer unbolt the mirror?
I’d like to give it a try myself.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:30 PM   #7
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
I know the problems only from the Verts.
Noise from rear windows convertible
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:45 PM   #8
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
Mine is sitting at the dealer for the fourth time as well. I have no whistle, it sounds like my driver's side rear window is partially open above 65ish mph just like you, SSnakeEater. No air is coming in though and it is only on the driver's side. Those who have had theirs fixed by replacing/tightening the mirror, did it sound like a slightly open window right next to your ear while driving on the highway?
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:06 PM   #9
Sportsfan949

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 Non-NPP
Exactly... just like the window slightly open but couldn’t find any actual wind in the car. Dealer took door panel off, unbolted mirror, reinstalled same mirror, noise gone. Go figure.
My noise was on drivers side door, non-vert

Last edited by Sportsfan949; 12-18-2017 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Car specs
Sportsfan949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:05 AM   #10
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
I have this same window noise. Have had my mirrors off for painting and the noise is still there. It is definitely coming from the window not sealing completely.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:00 AM   #11
Crizmotek

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Maybe try re-indexing the window positions? Might not be up all the way. With the car on, doors closed and windows up, hold the down switch and continue holding for about 5 seconds after it lowers all the way. Now do the same thing but for the up position.
Crizmotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #12
modru2004

Drives: 2018 2ss
its the mirror as far as i can tell. its really only a problem depending on the direction you are driving vs the direction and speed of the wind.

ie you hear the noise driving one direction and pull a u turn and go the opposite way and the noise is gone.
modru2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #13
archer1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
its the mirror as far as i can tell. its really only a problem depending on the direction you are driving vs the direction and speed of the wind.

ie you hear the noise driving one direction and pull a u turn and go the opposite way and the noise is gone.
the problem with my passenger side wind noise was a slight gap between the mirror body and the door. I compared to the drivers side, no gap.
Mirror gap fixed, wind noise fixed.