Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-21-2021, 06:10 PM   #15
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
LT1 is a great driver 12 months of the year in connecticut with the factory all seas

My LT1 is my daily driver. With the 245 40 20 all season tires Eagle F1s the car is great in all weather, hot or cold, wet or dry. Put the car in ice/snow mode if you gonna drive in a few inches of snow. I have 10k miles on my 1 yr old car, it drives great in all weather.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 11:03 AM   #16
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
It's great, I drive it on frozen lakes on racing slicks. Best ever.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 11:49 AM   #17
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP, if you want to run the LT1 in the snow I would replace the stock setup with 18" rims on skinny snow tires. RWD generally sucks in the snow. But my 3 series did well for a few seasons with a setup like this.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:02 PM   #18
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
If you're comfortable with wheel spin and sliding it's not bad, some people honestly are pretty comfortable with that and it's not a thing to them. I run a winter performance tire as I need some capability if caught at work or there's just an inch or so on the ground. Anything more than that and I stay home for the half day it takes to get a plow through. A/S left me needing more.
I too run snow/ice mode and 180lbs in the trunk.

Its not a good car in the snow, 3:73 manual 455 it's a handle full in a hurry though I've had worse.

A studless snow/ice like the Xi3 was too much tire the other 95% of the winter months, no fun at all to drive on those but they were pretty good if you were really careful.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 12:41 PM   #19
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
“more than mild acceleration”? That’s all on you.

I drove my 1LE home 900 miles in a major rain storm with the system set to wet/snow. So bad that I saw the system warning “no detectable traction” when it flash dumped as I was going 75 mph. I could feel the car float and then slowed to 55 mph and continued with no issues. 285 front, 305 rear summer only track tires. I drove every day all summer on those tires.

I also drove 41,000 miles in 2016 and 2018 SSes. Half that on the 245 front, 275 rear summer only performance tires. No problem.

I would drive the LT1 in light snow with 245 all season tires with no problem. That is the intent of those tires on that model. …like the I4 and V6 guys

In the winter, I changed to winter tires, of the OE size, for all three. Again no trouble. -4500 density altitude so it makes way more power. I leave it in sport unless it’s snowing hard.
It isn't just him. My 2017 SS is the same way with the stock Goodyears. Literally, driving it home the day I picked it up after I bought it, we had a sudden T-Storm that flooded the highway and I couldnt keep that car straight to save my life even doing speeds as low as 35 - 40 MPH on the freeway.. it wouldn't even stay in the same lane - was like driving on a bare sheet of ice and I'm pretty good with high powered cars in low traction conditions.. ..the SS in the stock tires is pretty unsafe in anything other than warm dry weather.

Here in TX we have suburban surface roads loaded with businesses with intersections & traffic signals that have speed limits ranging between 60 and 75 MPH, higher than some states maximum speed limits on the interstates.. ..When its wet or cold outside its an absolute nightmare pulling out onto the street infront of high speed traffic as she will fishtail like hell until she's up to speed.

I recently installed the Michelin PS4S on my 99 Z28 which puts down about 500 to the wheels, and it made a night and day difference in both dry and wet conditions in that car which previously had all season Kumo's, which still handled alot better than my SS did in the rain but couldn't hook up at all when it was dry. Now, it doesn't even notice the rain. Those are the next tires going on my SS.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 12:52 PM   #20
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Is it just me or is my SS 1LE fine in the rain? Maybe a puddle will mess you up, but I have driven it in downpours and it's been fine.

As for snow, though, I am with the other poster that says it kills the fun of driving the car. All-season won't be good enough for a high-power RWD car in the snow. Get proper winters.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 12:58 PM   #21
Need4Camaro

To me, it seems like people with 1LE's are having a better time in the rain than people with the standard 1/2SS .. .. why this is? I do not know. It is illogical given the wider tire should make it harder in the rain rather than easier.. ..but in my observation from browsing here, it seems as though that people with 1LE's are completely unaware of the problem.

I can say from experience though, my SS is not a fun car to drive when it is wet outside. I typically avoid it. I have two other cars now that can join that mayhem.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:06 PM   #22
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_LT1 View Post
I'm thinking of taking my LT1 with the 245 all seasons skiing this season.
I think others have addressed the driving aspect of this proposal.

Personally, I question the parking aspect. If you are planning to park in a lot at a base village or resort type place, you are probably asking for door dings and other nonsense. People change in their cars and then bang around carrying skis, poles, snowboards, etc. They are all bundled up and stumbling in ski or snowboard boots. Just a mindless heard of rhinos with sights set on your bodywork.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:13 PM   #23
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
To me, it seems like people with 1LE's are having a better time in the rain than people with the standard 1/2SS .. .. why this is? I do not know. It is illogical given the wider tire should make it harder in the rain rather than easier.. ..but in my observation from browsing here, it seems as though that people with 1LE's are completely unaware of the problem.

I can say from experience though, my SS is not a fun car to drive when it is wet outside. I typically avoid it. I have two other cars now that can join that mayhem.
The GY F1 S3 tires were downright scary on any kind of significant rain above misting/light. Hydroplaned so damn easy. Michelin PS4S are much better in that respect. Doesn't make the car a great wet-road vehicle, but the GY tires were pretty damn unsafe in rain/wet IME, driving highway speeds on the highway could get you into serious trouble.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #24
Need4Camaro

Here is a video of an SS losing it no warning on the Highway...

https://youtu.be/F6klPxkZ6hw?t=400

I typically use snow/ice mode.. ..it helps but it doesn't make it much safer. I'm typically hugging the shoulder while cars and semi's are wizzing by me at 60 MPH + while I can barely keep it straight at 40.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:27 PM   #25
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
The GY F1 S3 tires were downright scary on any kind of significant rain above misting/light. Hydroplaned so damn easy. Michelin PS4S are much better in that respect. Doesn't make the car a great wet-road vehicle, but the GY tires were pretty damn unsafe in rain/wet IME, driving highway speeds on the highway could get you into serious trouble.
I agree peeps are leaving out what tire they have on the car and the conditions because the SC3 will get you in trouble with standing water, puddles, heavy rain, > 40mph.

Saying "my 1LE is good in the rain" omits any of the relevant facts necessary to come to that conclusion.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 02:49 PM   #26
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_LT1 View Post
I'm thinking of taking my LT1 with the 245 all seasons skiing this season.

Is the car drivable in a few inches of snow? Where I go gets plowed but the there may be some snow and ice. I'd love to take the Camaro but I don't want to be a moron and get stuck.

Curious to see if anyone has experience driving in light/moderate snow conditions with this set up.
Question 1: Have you ever driven in the snow? serious question.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 02:57 PM   #27
IceGoaliePaul

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT
I think I can actually answer your question. I have the V6 Camaro with the stock Goodyear Eagle F1 all-season run-on-flats. I've driven it through 3 Canadian winters down to -40. The tires are fine on dry pavement even when it gets super cold. Packed snow you can loose a bit of traction but the stabilitrack does a good job of bringing things back in line if the back end kicks out. Ice can be a bit of a slow start with some significant tire spin until you get moving but braking is generally ok. The real problems with these tires is with fresh loose snow. I've got stuck several times with just a few inches on the ground; usually in a parking lot. Any incline just makes things worse. It's generally not too bad once you actually get moving and have some momentum and it really makes a difference once the tires warm up a little.

My rears are now down and I'm down to the wear bars. I'm thinking of trying out the Michelin Pilot Sport All season 4's next
IceGoaliePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:42 PM   #28
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It isn't just him. My 2017 SS is the same way with the stock Goodyears. Literally, driving it home the day I picked it up after I bought it, we had a sudden T-Storm that flooded the highway and I couldnt keep that car straight to save my life even doing speeds as low as 35 - 40 MPH on the freeway.. it wouldn't even stay in the same lane - was like driving on a bare sheet of ice and I'm pretty good with high powered cars in low traction conditions.. ..the SS in the stock tires is pretty unsafe in anything other than warm dry weather.

Here in TX we have suburban surface roads loaded with businesses with intersections & traffic signals that have speed limits ranging between 60 and 75 MPH, higher than some states maximum speed limits on the interstates.. ..When its wet or cold outside its an absolute nightmare pulling out onto the street infront of high speed traffic as she will fishtail like hell until she's up to speed.

I recently installed the Michelin PS4S on my 99 Z28 which puts down about 500 to the wheels, and it made a night and day difference in both dry and wet conditions in that car which previously had all season Kumo's, which still handled alot better than my SS did in the rain but couldn't hook up at all when it was dry. Now, it doesn't even notice the rain. Those are the next tires going on my SS.
Thank you for sharing your experiences and comparison to the Michelin PS4S. I was considering a set to replace the factory goodyear eagle f1 all season.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote