Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-29-2021, 12:41 PM   #29
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
I like the styling of the LT1 over the SS and I bought it for the V8 under the hood, not for the latest high tech options that I don't even remotely need.

On this board you're going to get opinions from SS guys who feel a little insecure about the price they paid for track parts that they'll never use.

The LT1 is what the SS should have been from day one. It has great handling and V8 power that everybody wants. The track stuff should have been reserved for special trims with marketable names like z/28 or ZL1.
What track stuff? You mean the creature comforts and things than help put power to the ground so you don't Mustang yourself and maintain performance? Looks to me you're trying to somehow grandstand because you made the bold choice of *gasp* getting the cheapest option

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:41 PM   #30
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingbreed View Post
Hi, trying to make a final decision on LT1 vs 2SS for a convertible.
I will not track the car. I’ve always wanted a V8 RWD, stick convertible. It’s now or never. Car will be used to drive to work about 1-3 days/week, pleasure and errands.
Mid-$40,000s would be great but since I’m very keen on adding NPP, Recaro, and must have the bigger screen and better sound I’ll go to $50k. I like the standard RQA 20" Silver wheels and Riverside Blue is awesome. For reality I have added an extra 10% on the build price for California tax and license.
Biggest regret with LT1 is not getting the safety options of the 2SS. I’m not willing to pay essentially $8,000 for them - see below. Well played Chevrolet. 1SS is basically ruled out but shown for reference.

LT1 seems to make a lot of sense all things considered. Am I missing anything?

(Anyone know why copper free brakes are listed as a $995 option on SSs but not available in LT1 - I'm concerned that would make SS $1,000 more than the LT1 again because it will be automatically added for a California order)

LT1 manual convertible (added $900 Bose 8” 7-spkr, $1,595 Recaro seats, $995 dual mode exhaust)
Price $49,154 (incl. 10% tax and lic.)
If you pay $50K for an LT1 I guarantee you will regret that decision. Once cars start rolling again out of the factory pricing will come down and and once that happens your $50K LT1 will trade at around $35K in a year or two.

But if you do not track then there is nothing in a 1SS that makes it a better choice over the LT1 for you, unless you like the look of the SS better. Many do. I also did not like the look of the LT1 at first, but over time I now like it better. A lot better and my friends agree.

A 2SS is different in having more luxury items, but also is better equipped to track than the LT1. Those 2 ideas, optimal tracking and luxury are at odds with the extra weight of the 2 SS stuff.

I have also owned a 6th gen 2SS and a ZL1 and the only equipment I miss from those 2 are the HUD, heated seats and steering wheel. And since all Recaros have the heating and ventilation built in, I can add that later if I want to spend time and $$. I can also say after having ventilated seats in my last 2 Camaros I will not bother doing that. But as far as I know adding the heat is harder than adding ventilation. But I might be wrong there.

If I were you OP, if you do not have $$ to burn I would wait at least a year before buying a new car without a high value trade.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:37 PM   #31
Wrecks24

Drives: Camaro LT1
I think that price is high for all. But given the situation I understand. Another thing I like about the LT1 styling is that I see a lot of SS's, but I have only seen a couple of LT1s. I always look for the hood vents.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:54 PM   #32
sactownbwoy

Drives: '22 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecks24 View Post
I think that price is high for all. But given the situation I understand. Another thing I like about the LT1 styling is that I see a lot of SS's, but I have only seen a couple of LT1s. I always look for the hood vents.
The LT1s have the same hood as the SS. The front bumper of the LT1 is the same as the 1/2/3LTs though.
sactownbwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:13 PM   #33
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Here's what I would do. 50k is within 2-3k of what you can find a 2SS convertible on a dealer lot for. If that's within your budget, I'd select a set of options that are a must have, and a set of options that are a nice to have. See if there's a 2SS in dealer stock that comes close to what you'd like. Stuff like Recaros can be added later if you wanna go that route.

Once I know what I MUST have, search far and wide in dealer inventory (LT1 and 2SS) and see if you can find something that's as close as possible and ask yourself if the trade-off is worth what you're gaining.

It's also a terrible time to order new with prices sky high. Hell even dealer stock and used market are crazy.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:41 PM   #34
JKSully

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS, 20 Subaru Crosstrek
Why are you all saying the price is high? A bare bones LT1 vert is $41,195 MSRP, and the OP is including CA 10% tax, that alone takes it to 45,314. Add in a few options (and the tax on them) and you're at 50. It's not like he's paying a $10K ADM.

2022 | 2SS | M6 | NPP | Summit White | Carbon Flash Wheels | Black Lugs | Red Calipers | Adrenaline Red | Red Knee Pads | Nav |
- 1100 - 8/16/21
- 3000 - 9/21/21 - TPW 10/18/21
- 3400 - 10/1/21
- 3800 - 10/20/21 - built 10/19/21
- 5000 - 11/12/21
- 6000 - 11/13/21
JKSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:55 PM   #35
Wrecks24

Drives: Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSully View Post
Why are you all saying the price is high? A bare bones LT1 vert is $41,195 MSRP, and the OP is including CA 10% tax, that alone takes it to 45,314. Add in a few options (and the tax on them) and you're at 50. It's not like he's paying a $10K ADM.
Im just sayin I bought my hardtop with A10 for 36k out the door
Old 10-29-2021, 05:55 PM   #36
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
In my opinion…. A stripper convertible is no, no. A convertible should be 2SS trim minimum.

If the cost is budget prohibitive…. I’d look for a certified pre-owned that someone didn’t drive. There are lots of “forever” cars that get sold two years in.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 06:48 PM   #37
dyingbreed

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The LT1 has a entirely different front fascia...he is saying that he prefers the front fascia on the SS.

Side note I would buy a used 2019 Zl1 before I spent that kind of money on a 2SS. If willing to travel you can still find them for around 60k CPO with a better warranty than new.
Thanks for the comment. Interesting.
1) What do you mean by "better warranty than new"?
2) It feels counter-intuitive to buy a used car in this market. I can get a new Camaro for sticker (I think) spec'd exactly as I want. I do not mind the wait. Used are sky-high.

3) Yes I might travel for the right car with warranty. Best place to look for Gen6 stick vert ZL1? Zero on gmcertified.com, 1 on autotrader
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=606501553 asking 64.8 so $71.3k with tax.
dyingbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:34 PM   #38
Nilly Welson

Drives: Camaro Super Sport, Six on the Stik
Quote:
Hi, trying to make a final decision on LT1 vs 2SS for a convertible.
I will not track the car. I’ve always wanted a V8 RWD, stick convertible. It’s now or never. Car will be used to drive to work about 1-3 days/week, pleasure and errands.
Mid-$40,000s would be great but since I’m very keen on adding NPP, Recaro, and must have the bigger screen and better sound I’ll go to $50k. I like the standard RQA 20" Silver wheels and Riverside Blue is awesome. For reality I have added an extra 10% on the build price for California tax and license.
Biggest regret with LT1 is not getting the safety options of the 2SS. I’m not willing to pay essentially $8,000 for them - see below. Well played Chevrolet. 1SS is basically ruled out but shown for reference.

LT1 seems to make a lot of sense all things considered. Am I missing anything?
EDIT: I can afford the 2SS. This is tough because the LT1 (as I spec'd) seems such a great car. I am pretty happy to skip all the 2SS stuff except for the safety aspects but $6k-$8k extra does not seem worth it. If 2SS had adaptive cruise control I'd likely not even write this post and just order 2SS. But it doesn't :-/

(Anyone know why copper free brakes are listed as a $995 option on SSs but not available in LT1 - I'm concerned that would make SS $1,000 more than the LT1 again because it will be automatically added for a California order)

LT1 manual convertible (added $900 Bose 8” 7-spkr, $1,595 Recaro seats, $995 dual mode exhaust)
Price $49,154 (incl. 10% tax and lic.)
Pros:
· Price under $50k (mind that I will add PPF, ceramic, audio upgrades, tow hitch which will push it over $50k anyway)
· Can order Bose sound with extra speakers vs the 1SS
· Recaro seats – a must after I saw the mushy cloth ones on a 4cyl at the dealer – seems like this kind of upgrades the front and rear seats to leather/alcantara, probably nicer than the std 2SS leather – good value option!
· Same tire size all round, save money, staggered set ups result in half mileage warranty for the rear tires
Cons:
· Wish I could get the safety options of the 2SS à la carte i.e. forward collision, blind zone alert, rear park assist, rear camera mirror since the visibility is poor.
· Missing the 1SS and 2SS goodies listed below
· Basic instrument cluster – seems very functional but can only see one thing at once
· V6 front bumper, no SS badges
· Narrower rear rims/tires (launch and grip)

1SS manual convertible (added $1,595 Recaro seats, $995 dual mode exhaust)
Price $52,014 (incl. 10% tax and lic.)
Pros:
· Better rear brakes, cooling, instrument cluster
· SS bumper and badges
· Wider rear rims/tires
Cons:
· $3,000 more than the LT1 but the pros above do not justify it.
· Less speakers than LT1 - Bose not an option in 1SS
· Wish I could get the safety options of the 2SS à la carte i.e. forward collision, blind zone alert, rear park assist, rear camera mirror since the visibility is poor.
· No 2SS goodies listed below
· (?forced to buy the $995 copper free brakes for California? Not listed as option in LT1 - not included in my price estimate here)

2SS manual convertible (added $995 dual mode exhaust)
Price $55,759 no Recaro (incl. 10% tax and lic.) – or $57,514 with Recaro
Pros:
· 2SS goodies: leather, heated/cooled, seat/mirror memory, HUD
· safety options: forward collision, blind zone alert, rear park assist, rear camera mirror
· the 1SS stuff
· Could drop Recaro to save money since 2SS has leather
Cons:
· $8,000 more than the LT1 if both include Recaro
· (?forced to buy the $995 copper free brakes for California? Not listed as option in LT1 - not included in my price estimate here)

LT1 front grill just looks like a Jacko Lantern. SS grill looks more masculine and menacing.
Nilly Welson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:20 PM   #39
Dragon08

Drives: 2020 1LE
This is a very compelling decision. And the great news is you can't go wrong with either. I was grappling with the same stuff when choosing between 1SS and 2SS for my purchase. In my case, I chose the 2SS. I liked the HUD, and safety features. The Recaros are non-negotiable IMO. They are a must. I actually like the HUD more than I anticipated. I dig the shift lights, digital tach, and gear indicator all being right there. Use the RPA every time I wiggle into my tight garage space. Big fan of the full view camera mirror too, though night time functionality isnt ideal. FCA and I don't have a great relationship, but I do not turn it off. Blind spot, nice but not essential.
You seem to like the SS styling better, and that's a big deal. Though I love the look of the LT1 badge, its cool.

For me the 2SS was the right choice, and I do not miss the 5k that much.

I love the idea of a basic machine that does all the things I want it to, without the pomp and circumstance of the gadgets. I get that side too. My daily driver PU doesnt even have power windows. But for my forever car, i went for it, and love it.
Dragon08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:48 PM   #40
ProdigalLunatic

Drives: 2021 Camaro - Shadow Gray LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilly Welson View Post
LT1 front grill just looks like a Jacko Lantern. SS grill looks more masculine and menacing.
It's funny how impressions vary so widely from person to person.

I think the front end of the LT1 looks predatory, like a shark. The SS looks like it has muttonchops, like a civil war general. But the ZL1 is the best of the three.

Joking aside, it's what's under the hood that matters the most. That's where the fun comes from.
ProdigalLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 06:19 AM   #41
smokeybrown
Lowe's Pro

Drives: 2022 LT1
Quote:
Thanks for the comment. Interesting.
1) What do you mean by "better warranty than new"?
2) It feels counter-intuitive to buy a used car in this market. I can get a new Camaro for sticker (I think) spec'd exactly as I want. I do not mind the wait. Used are sky-high.

3) Yes I might travel for the right car with warranty. Best place to look for Gen6 stick vert ZL1? Zero on gmcertified.com, 1 on autotrader
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=606501553 asking 64.8 so $71.3k with tax.
Scratching my head too. Cpo is not better than new, nor is it a good time to buy a used car.
smokeybrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 09:33 AM   #42
mikec3104

Drives: 2020 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalLunatic View Post
It's funny how impressions vary so widely from person to person.

I think the front end of the LT1 looks predatory, like a shark. The SS looks like it has muttonchops, like a civil war general. But the ZL1 is the best of the three.

Joking aside, it's what's under the hood that matters the most. That's where the fun comes from.
Agreed. The muttonchops is what kept me out of an SS.
mikec3104 is offline   Reply With Quote