Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-07-2017, 12:01 AM   #29
chris227

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
from where? thatgmpartsguy only has them painted.
They are in auto parts not accessories.

Here is a link to the right scoop for reference.

http://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/chevro...position=right
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:20 AM   #30
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris227 View Post
Awesome thanks!
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:06 AM   #31
chris227

Gonna tackle this mod tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:59 PM   #32
chris227

Here's some pics of mine. Only took about a hour. Start to finish. Thanks for the write up. Helped tons.
Attached Images

Last edited by chris227; 07-15-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:03 PM   #33
KirkH

Would an angle grinder with a cut off wheel work better than a Dremel tool?
Old 11-14-2017, 08:06 PM   #34
KirkH

Looks like this is the proper tool for cutting the hood. Electric metal shears used for cutting sunroof holes.

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-gau...ars-61737.html

I have read that the main problem with Dremel cutoff wheels is that with cuts over one inch long, they break and the wheels can hurt you.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #35
KirkH

So the options are :

Dremel
Angle Grinder
Jigsaw
Hand nibbler
Electric nibbler

Can anyone comment on any of these tools usage on hoods?
Old 11-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #36
KirkH

Quote:
So the options are :

Dremel
Angle Grinder
Jigsaw
Hand nibbler
Electric nibbler

Can anyone comment on any of these tools usage on hoods?
I have assembled all the above tools and I have found a scrap piece of sheet metal. I am going to try all the above tools before i cut into my hood. I will report which tool is the most appropriate for the job.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:35 AM   #37
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Would an angle grinder with a cut off wheel work better than a Dremel tool?
Havent been back to this post in ages.

I went with the dremel/rotary tool only because its small, able to be single hand held and more control than an angle grinder. Also the blades offer a more precise cut compared to the angle grinder i have.

If you have one of the air powered ones that most shops use...then its more a question of what are you comfy with.

The one i have (angle grinder) is where you hold the base and it has a side bar near the top of the blade to hold it. So its a 2 handed cutter.

And being we have aluminum hoods i didnt wanna take that chance with even the small blade.

What works better is only gonna be relative to what your comfy using.

Also there are regular wheels and there are the HEAVY DUTY wheels. The thinner wheels do break easier, but the hd one cut like a hot knife through warm butter and i didnt break a single one. I made full cuts over the entire length of all sides. The disc gets smaller over the cuts. But if your rushing it and not using the hd discs. Then yea they can break

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:40 AM   #38
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
from where? thatgmpartsguy only has them painted.
Found mine on forums or the facebook groups is another place.

When you go to places like gm parts guys, you have to look them up as oem parts, not accessories. The oem versions are black.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 12-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #39
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
One more time: Use a jigsaw with a fresh “bi metal thin metal” blade per hole. . It’s what the guys at hexvents have been using for years, after trying everything else under the sun. It works perfectly.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:32 AM   #40
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
One more time: Use a jigsaw with a fresh “bi metal thin metal” blade per hole. . It’s what the guys at hexvents have been using for years, after trying everything else under the sun. It works perfectly.
I agree with PP, probably be best to use the tool that is most comfortable. That being said, I am in no hurry and want to use the most appropriate method. So I will get comfortable with all these methods of cutting.

I got a aluminum scrap hood from my auto body buddy. He says that they cut sunroof and hood vent holes with electric shears. The reasons are these:

-no heat from jigsaw blade
-no metal shaving all over the engine if you don't take the hood off
-no distortion of the metal edge
-no sharp edges

I am going to try all these methods and see what is the easiest and most appropriate. I will say that I hate Dremel. Real tools work so much better.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:52 PM   #41
PolynesianPowerhouse

yeah that's the best I could put it. whatever makes you comfy.

honestly. theres thousands of ways to cut metal from mechanical nippers, scissors, to cutting wheels of metal, fiber, etc, to plasma and laser.

I used a jigsaw, when I cut my charger hood about a decade ago.

FOR ME.... it was loud as F***. I did it in the bedroom with the door closed. unbearably loud. in a shop, who cares. when your at home, in a parking lot, or somewhere where you DONT wanna bring attention, I had to pump the brakes and stay in my lane so to speak

using the dremel discs was easy, quick, low noise, feasibly efficient for me.

theres never gonna be "the best way" that's gonna encompass everyone.

when all was said and done, if I had the dremel discs to start with I would have my hood and alphacamaro7's hood in just about 40 minutes time. so you figure about 20-30 minutes total per hood. I've spent longer on the pooper reading magazines.

there was no metal shavings on our or in our cars, and I did it with the hood on the car. there were no sharp edges, no distortion, etc. just the dust from the fiber discs wearing. once we sprayed off the cars 10 minutes after, it was all gravy. when you work on a car, theres always gonna be some dirtying of it.

dremel, in my view, is a "REAL" tool. it got the job done, and did everything your auto buddy says the shears will do. it even plugs into an outlet

didn't need any practice really. I mean technically MY hood was the practice before I cut Alphas hood. I just measured and cut as I outlined in the original post.

I mean if you're doing this to find out what works best for you...most excellent!!! but it may be wasted time and effort if you're doing it for "everyone" because in the end, an individual will use what they are comfy with and/or have access to.

like if I were to do this again, I have 9 unused dremel discs and a rotary tool with speed control. I know I can do it in about 30 min start to finish. I wouldn't go out to get a tool I never used and pay prob 30-80+ $ just to do a job I currently have tools for, already used current tools to do said job multiple times already.

just as long as it gets done, you benefit from having vents and heat extraction. that should be the main issue. seems quite a few have gotten done since posted. GREAT to see people doin some DIY

just again though..."proper tool" to me is anything that gets the job done efficient and effectively.

I've been watching car shows on spike tv, cbs sports, and velocity for years. you'll see one shop cut a hole in the hood using nibblers, one will use the short angle grinder, some will use a jig saw, some will use a rotary tool with cut off disc. the outcome is still the same. its all dependent on what the person doing the job is comfy and skilled with. just my view on it. carry on! or more so..."Git R Doneeee!"

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 12-03-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #42
KirkH

Just doing this to make sure I dont mess up my Camaro hood. I am retired and I have access to all of these tools except the hand nibbler. I have had friends say “jigsaw!” then someone else says “no, angle grinder!” So now I have a hood, and the tools. Hopefully get on it this week.