Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Drove a 2SS Automatic

As title says, drove a 2SS with automatic and Dual Mode exhaust tonight at the dealer. Also optioned out with a sunroof and without MRC. Gentleman from dealership e-mailed me letting me know they received a couple so I could check it out. (Off topic, but very nice guy and probably best dealership experience I've had so far since I first went there a month and a half ago or so.)

First off, the v6 model has a very nice looking front end. It'll be a great mainstream model and looks very modern.

Sat in the v6 for a while as there were people lined up to check out the 2SS. It's a 1LT and the hard plastics were evident on the door panels and the upper dash was hard plastic as well. I actually forgot to check the dash on the 2SS, but the doors and everywhere else you would pretty much touch are soft touch. I recently owned a 2012 Legacy and hard plastics do not bother me one bit, especially since it never developed a single rattle over 40k miles.

Visibility. When I first sat down in the v6, I focused on the small-ish looking front windshield. The side windows are of course small, but they seemed fine and like they wouldn't pose any issues whatsoever.

I eventually got a chance to step into the 2SS. The interior is a very nice place to be. The seats are soft and comfortable and interior design is what I would consider simple and great looking. Doors have soft touch padding over them. The binnacle (whatever it's called) didn't really feel in the way and I love how the dash from the gauges right is flat.. When I first saw pictures of this, I thought I would hate it. Rear windshield? Not much to see out of. However, I have this complaint about most newer small cars. Seating position is phenomenal and is leaps and bounds better than in my Mustang which I feel is too high and like I'm sitting on top of a seat instead of in one.

By this point, I was ready to drive. Plates were grabbed and I took off. The dual mode exhaust has a beautiful sound from the moment the car is fired up. It's the 8 speed auto.. I was pulling out very slow from the parking lot towards the street and it was kind of hung up on the 1-2 shift. I've experienced this with multiple new cars on the lot. TL (9 speed auto) and Charger with the 8 speed ZF.. Also my girlfriend's A4 ZF 8 speed does it from 1-2 as well. After that,the shifts were very fast and seamless. I also used the paddles and don't see what the complaints are about.

As I mentioned, the car doesn't have MRC. It felt very composed and comfortable over cracks and bumps in the road. Obviously I have an outdated live axle Mustang, but it definitely rides better than it while having much less highway noise.. MINUS THE EXAUST!! That exhaust. Definitely a pony car and something that the Mustang is missing stock.

Did I mention visiblity? Didn't think a damn thing of it as soon as I started driving. Good or bad. Car was very easy to drive and had no issues seeing anything. Side mirrors also did a great job.

I know, not much you guys don't know, but just a little bit of input from a potential purchaser. Something I didn't know is that HUD can be moved up and down on the windshield to your desired location.

I apologize for the low quality pictures. I had my DSLR in the car, but ended up taking it with the phone.. And I'm sorry to the red fellas, but just not digging the color. The camera on phone being so crappy, it didn't pick up any hood lines and such. Car is well sculpted.. The roof looks much narrower than my Mustang's in person and a bit in pictures as well. The lights on Camaro look great. Door sills on 2SS are awesome.. Sorry, rambling.

ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
ChefBorOzzy

Oh yeah.. Checked the panel alignment.. PERFECT. I just wish it didn't have the sunroof so I could see the bubble roof. :( Looking forward to them receiving more in different colors so I can figure out what I'll get.

STEERING WHEEL IS PERFECT!
Old 11-18-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
Nice write up! I won't go because I know I wouldn't come home without it!
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:06 PM   #4
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
does the automatic mask the torque of the engine? fun factor loss?

is the converter tight enough to get a nice feel of the power band through the rpms in the seat of your pants? (compared to a loose slushbox)

what about exhaust? is the auto killing any of the exhaust note.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:10 PM   #5
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
The 8 speed in our grand cherokee did that during the 1-2 shift but it goes away after warming up
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:12 PM   #6
ChefBorOzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post
Nice write up! I won't go because I know I wouldn't come home without it!
I'm getting a manual one so it wasn't hard for me, but the automatic sure is nice.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:13 PM   #7
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
That is awesome! I'm waiting for a nearby dealer to get one so I can try it too.
Please tell us whatever you can about the auto. My last two cars have been manual but I'm considering getting the A8 due to it's fast shifting. How does it feel compared to auto's in other cars. Does it stay locked most of the time or only when cruising at speed?
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #8
ChefBorOzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
does the automatic mask the torque of the engine? fun factor loss?

is the converter tight enough to get a nice feel of the power band through the rpms in the seat of your pants? (compared to a loose slushbox)

what about exhaust? is the auto killing any of the exhaust note.
I guess I'm not sure what you really mean here, but the automatic is very solid. Smooth upshifts and obviously shifts a lot with 8 gears. The car feels powerful and I can say I've definitely missed the lower end torque while I have been driving my Mustang.

Exhaust note was spectacular throughout. I started off in Track and changed to Sport mode. I could always hear the exhaust nice and loud like a pony car should be heard.. It really opened up when I gave it a bit more throttle merging on freeway. Stock exhaust is a world of difference compared to the stock exhaust on the new Mustang.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:20 PM   #9
ChefBorOzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop13 View Post
That is awesome! I'm waiting for a nearby dealer to get one so I can try it too.
Please tell us whatever you can about the auto. My last two cars have been manual but I'm considering getting the A8 due to it's fast shifting. How does it feel compared to auto's in other cars. Does it stay locked most of the time or only when cruising at speed?
I did notice that when I accelerated a little faster on the OFF ramp and let go of the gas, the RPM was staying up in a higher range and it didn't upshift.. This was in sport mode and I'm guessing that's why. I know my girlfriend's Audi holds lower gears when in Sport mode.

I don't think you can really go wrong with the auto. I'm getting the manual because, well, I want a manual in this kind of car and I do enjoy driving it.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #10
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
I guess I'm not sure what you really mean here, but the automatic is very solid. Smooth upshifts and obviously shifts a lot with 8 gears. The car feels powerful and I can say I've definitely missed the lower end torque while I have been driving my Mustang.

Exhaust note was spectacular throughout. I started off in Track and changed to Sport mode. I could always hear the exhaust nice and loud like a pony car should be heard.. It really opened up when I gave it a bit more throttle merging on freeway. Stock exhaust is a world of difference compared to the stock exhaust on the new Mustang.
cool thanks. not much auto discussion out there.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:21 PM   #11
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Any thoughts on how it drove? That's what much of the media praise is about.

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2015, 09:31 PM   #12
alfonsoj23

Drives: 2014 camaro ls
Great review man... Can you please tell us on how it actually was to drive it... The power!!?? Haha I'm waiting for a dealer around me to get em so I can go check it out... But I'll difinetely won't test drive it or nothing... I just wanna go see it in person... The only one I wanna drive is MINE, when it gets here that is! Lol
alfonsoj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:39 PM   #13
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Great in depth review. I can't wait till they start showing up here so I can sit in them and check it out as well. Sounds like a great car, can't wait to see them on the roads!

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:22 PM   #14
ChefBorOzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Any thoughts on how it drove? That's what much of the media praise is about.

Thanks!
I wish I could give you guys a very detailed impression of the driving dynamics, but I'm going to be honest. I just didn't push the car or drive very aggressively for a few reasons. It was 40 degrees outside and it's going to end up being someone else's car. I did get on it merging on the freeway and it roared. First time I stepped on it, I let go of the throttle due to not knowing the car and because my Mustang will spin tires way too easily at same temperature. I got up to a little higher speed and it sounded so damn good once I opened it up for a very short burst.. And it definitely pulls. Hard.

Some winding corners I took, but nothing at high speeds. Mostly about 50 mph. Like I mentioned earlier, the car handles bumps and road cracks amazingly. It's definitely planted and flat. I love the steering wheel feel/feedback and the actual feel and size of the steering wheel as well.

Would have loved to get on it at a low speed, but again, too cold. At moderate throttle it scoots though with no strain.

Hope you guys get to enjoy it soon. I don't think people will be disappointed with the driving one bit.