Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #71
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Sorry, when you can buy 2 Camaro's (ZL1 for fun and LS for DD) it's too much...but to each their own
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #72
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post
I get that the Z28 peformance is aimed at the the 911, Amg etc. But my feeling is that the Camaro has always been an affordable performance car for the average working man. The $75,000 Z28 is a departure from this philosophy. The Corvette is the car that should, and does compete with the high end sports cars that cost $75,000 and up.

The original thread topic "Is $75,000 to much". To that my answer remains yes it is to much for a Z28. But their is no denying it is still a get value and chevy did an incredible job of producing a fantastic version of our beloved camaro that indeed competes well against all challengeers.
You make a valid point, which leads me here: There is no way to answer, “Is $75,000 too much?” when you attempt to answer the question based upon a person’s means and ability to buy the car. To use your expression, “the average working man” cannot afford a $75,000 car, is by and large a given.

Therefore, the only way in my opinion to discuss the question, “Is $75,000 too much?” is within the context of value. Regardless of the buyers’ means, or lack thereof to purchase this Z/28, the question posed is not really, “Do I have $75,000 to spend on a car? Yes or no?” so much as, “Does the $75,000 price represent too much to pay for what you receive for your money?”

Clearly, there are people who cannot afford a $7,500 car, much less $75,000, so this discussion really does not get at the OP’s question when it is context as an affordability or means test. It should be a value-based test to fairly answer the question.

On that basis $75,000 is not too much to pay in my opinion.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #73
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Perspective: http://www.cadillac.com/elr-electric-hybrid.html

$75,000 starting price.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #74
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
I think the demand for this vehicle loudly answers this question from a factual stand point, it is CLEARLY not too much to pay as people are lining up to pay for it.....all else is no more than opinions and comments on why its not worth it to each individual.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #75
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
"Therefore, the only way in my opinion to discuss the question, “Is $75,000 too much?” is within the context of value. Regardless of the buyers’ means, or lack thereof to purchase this Z/28, the question posed is not really, “Do I have $75,000 to spend on a car? Yes or no?” so much as, “Does the $75,000 price represent too much to pay for what you receive for your money?”

Mikebrinda, having went back and read the original post, your right, I was taking the question out of context.
Buttonwillow 2:23.736
Sacramento Raceway 12.89 at 112 mph
Thunderhill 2:22.242
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #76
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
$75K is not too much if you scale 1969 salary's with 1969 car prices to 2014 salary's. So if you knock down $220K a year then it's not too much.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #77
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
what i was asking is this, when you look at cars today is $75K to much when a lot of other cars are in that same price range, to members that think this car was going to cost in the mid 50K it was never going to happen.

I know it was going to be more as soon as it was shown at NY auto show, there to many good parts on this car, for it to come in at that price.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #78
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post
I get that the Z28 peformance is aimed at the the 911, Amg etc. But my feeling is that the Camaro has always been an affordable performance car for the average working man. The $75,000 Z28 is a departure from this philosophy. The Corvette is the car that should, and does compete with the high end sports cars that cost $75,000 and up.

The original thread topic "Is $75,000 to much". To that my answer remains yes it is to much for a Z28. But their is no denying it is still a get value and chevy did an incredible job of producing a fantastic version of our beloved camaro that indeed competes well against all challengeers.
And this is where youre looking back instead of ahead. This USED to be Chevrolet's mindset. This is a division that is looking towards the future. Theyre producing things that ppl want. But let me ask you or everyone out there this: IF this car's price tag was $50k, how many ppl would trade their current camaro in for that Z/28? Everyone right? Or damn near everyone that owns a V8 I should say because of what it stands for. But if you look at the stand point (state, economics,whatever) we're in? You will see that its impossible to build anything remotely close to what they're building without attaching a price tag thats out of reach to "the working class." Inflation is a big issue. But the biggest issue out there? CAFE! Times are changing. V8s are NOT the norm. The future is I-4s and V6s. I've stated before, that you will pay a premium for V8s in the future and basically its from now on. If youre making $35-50k, (which is basically a working man's salary), V8s are a bit out of reach for you. I have a pretty good 6 figure salary and even I refuse to pay $75k ofr a toy. its not a priority for me. I bought my car and paid it off in 1 yr. But thats not to say I'll buy a Z/28 and pay it off in 2.5 yrs. i could afford a $30k toy, not a $75k toy lol. It's becoming a luxury to drive these cars. No longer a neccessity or necessarily "affordable."

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #79
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
The Z/28 has flying-car-logic! That alone is worth 75,000! I mean come on, no other car has ever in the history (or future) of the automobile been able to achieve such a thing.

Look, when other cars, race cars or whatever, when their tires leave the ground they get all confused and freak out. Not the Z/28, it's like, 'Hey it's all good, there is no pavement under my tires now, but that's okay, I know where I am going.'

That is some sweet stuff right there!
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #80
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
This car is NOT overpriced for what it is. In fact, it is a bargain compared to cars that it can compete against and beat.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #81
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
what i was asking is this, when you look at cars today is $75K to much when a lot of other cars are in that same price range, to members that think this car was going to cost in the mid 50K it was never going to happen.

I know it was going to be more as soon as it was shown at NY auto show, there to many good parts on this car, for it to come in at that price.
well you didnt need to know because they said it was going to be more than the ZL1 and that was already at 55k

Still - i think they could have really pleased the Z/28 crowd and went with an LS7 and make the CCB an option. In fact make a few things options like the suspension and the aero package.

Or ditch the LS7 entirely and go with an LS3 and put the performance cam in the trunk to be installed at the dealer or shop or garage after delivery

It is a very cool car - i cant justify that price tag no matter how hard i try. And its not for a lack of funds either
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #82
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by james347 View Post
The Z/28 has flying-car-logic! That alone is worth 75,000! I mean come on, no other car has ever in the history (or future) of the automobile been able to achieve such a thing.

Look, when other cars, race cars or whatever, when their tires leave the ground they get all confused and freak out. Not the Z/28, it's like, 'Hey it's all good, there is no pavement under my tires now, but that's okay, I know where I am going.'

That is some sweet stuff right there!
It is cool, but its software that's all...

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:30 AM   #83
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...it's so obvious to see the writing on the wall. Back to the OP's question is 75 large too much. In reality no. Will we see a ZL1 and Z/28 into the next Gen? No. Will the next High Performance state of the art techno Chevy super ride be all that that? Yes. Will the MSRP be into the Heliosphere? Shit yeah...but....the choice will be not be like there is today, nor will the somewhat managible MSRP's between the models be affordabale as we see it now. The field will narrow, the selection will decrease, and the price will climb accordingly.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:26 AM   #84
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Love the new Z/28! 75k.. ahhh a little steep but Oh well, it's usually the guys who can't afford one that are crying the blues... but anyways I hope I see one on the road someday, can't wait to spank it for half the price(well maybe not quite half )...Oh yea!

Last edited by CRTZL1; 02-28-2014 at 03:49 AM.
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote