Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-26-2023, 08:56 AM   #1
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
C&D clickbait 2.0

https://www.caranddriver.com/chevrol...6fkmhIPdCoUlb8

This used to be the go to for info,lost all respect for them.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 10:37 AM   #2
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Agreed.

Older fella here: C&D used to be my ONLY read, as I was a subscriber starting back in the early '80's, and eventually cancelled in the late '90's.

Part of the problem is the need, these days, to maintain a certain amount of "freshness" in the on-line presence, meaning that they have to post new ("new") stuff every day or so in order to give readers something to click on.

Another part of the problem is that all the major mags are now owned by the same corporation, so you'll see an article that originated at one of the "other" ones, then eventually works its way onto C&D's website. Not necessarily saying that these are of inferior quality, but again, if at any point you bought in to C&D being "the best", and now they're running stuff from the other magazines, well, that's not the same thing.

What disappoints me more is C&D's uneven application of editorial "group memory" and recollection of *it's own past writing*. Now, I have a fairly photographic memory, and I like to state, proudly, that if I say I "don't remember" something, it's because I didn' care enough in the first place. Amusing amongst my friends, not quite as much with the significant other... :-0

I digress.

But I can think of two glaring examples of what I said above. In the first, at one point there was a three-car comparo article featuring a Vette, Nissan GTR and 911. The "win" was given to the Vette because, they said (and this is almost a direct quote, from memory), "although the 911 is the better car, it's not twice as good" (referring to price.)

Not terribly long after that, two-car comparo between Weissach 911 and Z51 Vette. Porsche was something like $327K, Vette in the mid-$150's. Winner? Porsche, at twice the price! Did they either no longer care about the price differential, or was the Porsche actually twice as good? Doesn't hold up either way.

Another one I've been hating for a while: until the unveiling of the latest Prius, the more recent writing team never failed to assail the previous gens for being unworthy of enthusiastic driving -- fair enough, even though that is just about the last thing they were designed for.

But when IIRC the 3rd gen Prius debuted, the big intro article explicitly lauded Toyota for having given each of the (3?) trim levels not merely a different wheel/tire package, but also a correspondinly different steering ratio. No, not a "sports sedan", but even C&D said at least Toyota was paying attention.

Many additional similar examples that I won't bother with here.

So, if a lowly reader can easily recall divergent editorial musings from within the magazine's own body of work, shouldn't the staff be able to do so as well? It's not like the writing team completely changes every two years. They should be able to make sure they don't write something that directly contradicts something they wrote within recallable memory.

Now, back to the just-about-anything-else we were all doing that was more important than this... ;-)
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 10:45 AM   #3
Yang N’ Bang
17’ Hyper Blue 2SS

Drives: 17’ Camaro 2SS
They put out an article about chevy putting out a limited edition based on Garage 56’s car they put in lem ans. Anything to get attention at this point I guess.
Yang N’ Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 02:27 PM   #4
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
If it is true that thing doesn't look like a Camaro.
Old 06-26-2023, 04:34 PM   #5
DamonZ28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
They're no better than the sports writers that speculate on player trades that they hope might happen, or which player will be picked at which position in the draft, etc. Then a catchy headline that they hope will produce clicks, like this article, or the sports headlines that make it look like a trade is a done deal. Nothing more than pure speculation, NOT based on any shred of fact.
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
DamonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 04:47 PM   #6
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin

Drives: '24 VOM 1SS 1LE M6. 1 of 4
Sadly, clickbait sells. CLICK HERE TO SEE WHAT 80'S SUPERMODELS LOOK LIKE NOW.

In the first sentence of that C&D article, it says "reportedly". It reads like some bulls hit from the MSN when they feed propaganda to the sheep by saying "sources tell us..."
Old 06-26-2023, 07:57 PM   #7
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
I thought MSN was a comedy channel.
Old 06-27-2023, 11:13 AM   #8
Briland_1LE

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
seems like they are in desperate need of money. who knows they might be going under.
Briland_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 07:18 AM   #9
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briland_1LE View Post
seems like they are in desperate need of money. who knows they might be going under.
One can only hope.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 07:24 AM   #10
flobb

Drives: 2022 2SS
so you called something click bait and only supplied the link? YOU ARE the problem
flobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 08:45 PM   #11
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
I didn't click on the link, since you told me it was just clickbait.

Would've been nice for you to describe the article a bit.
You tell us it's not worth clicking on, but then require us to click on it to have a conversation on the thread??

The Chief did a good job of explaining it above. Its definitely a different world. If people still subscribed to the magazine and were happy with once a month updates, it would be fine. Alas, people want more info, more often and that forces C&D to create content even when there isn't any news. With the drop in subscriptions (why subscribe to a magazine if all the content is online), they also have to generate ad revenue by creating as many links for you to click on as possible.
Old 07-04-2023, 09:59 PM   #12
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
I’m 45 and had a subscription to C&D starting with my 12th birthday from my mom. My guys were Brock Yates and Csaba Cera. That’s Car and Driver.

I canceled my subscription a few years ago. Couldn’t take it anymore.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote