Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-26-2019, 08:30 PM   #57
jlcustomz

Drives: 83 el camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
100% yes, I commented to my wife just the other day that half the cars on the road blend right into the pavement. My next car won’t and it was a factor.
Thanks, didn't think it was just me, but it pisses me off on a personal level when I initially don't see a car & even 5% come close to possibly causing an accident.

I'm most of the time with the back in when you park club. This eliminates possibility of kids running out in front of you & so many other possibilities when you can drive out forwards.
jlcustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:13 PM   #58
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Hold your golf clubs! Are you kidding me.. get a mini van if you need to haul your clubs, it’s a muscle car/ sports car not a cargo van or golf cart.:
A Gen5 did just fine so how is maintains that a bad thing. Minivan? That is really hilarious. My Chevy SS held 4 sets without issue.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:18 PM   #59
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
This is his pet peeve so take it as such. He has never owned a Camaro -or Corvette- and I’m pretty sure that would apply to Mustang and Challenger as well.

All the above cars come with compromises that those actually responsible for designing them weighed. I’d welcome a Camaro with a large greenhouse, that seats a larger driver, three large passengers and two sets of clubs ...as long as it doesn’t compromise style, acceleration, handling = weight.

It will be interesting to see what the gen7 brings. I’ve wondered if Al O’s moving on in the organization signals that GM wants a change in direction as they are likely into gen7 now.

My first new car was an 84 Monte SS. I drove a 04 GTO 11 years (best car I ever owned). Those are more in line with what Number3 wants but are not Camaro DNA.
Not my pet peeve but a reason I believe sales aren’t robust. As I’ve said I likely would have given the visibility a shot if it weren’t so bad my wife wouldn’t enjoy driving it and of course the golf club thing.

As a GM employee I had the privilege of driving a Camaros and Corvettes for years. As a company car driver I could get one whenever I wanted so why buy one. I’ve probably got more seat time in both cars than most on this site. Gen6 just happened to be the first one I would have wanted to buy on my dime.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:20 PM   #60
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Trunk’s not so bad for what it is- sports car. Especially if it not a dd. Today I loaded work laptop, tablet, lunch bag , DVD player, and 20 x 30 x 1 hvac filters. No problem.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:13 PM   #61
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Not my pet peeve but a reason I believe sales aren’t robust. As I’ve said I likely would have given the visibility a shot if it weren’t so bad my wife wouldn’t enjoy driving it and of course the golf club thing.

As a GM employee I had the privilege of driving a Camaros and Corvettes for years. As a company car driver I could get one whenever I wanted so why buy one. I’ve probably got more seat time in both cars than most on this site. Gen6 just happened to be the first one I would have wanted to buy on my dime.
Pretty much my experience, too. I liked Gen 5 but it wasn’t practical for me to buy one. I liked Gen 6 a whole lot more. And since I knew I’d be retiring, a garage slot would open up when I turned in the company car so I made the Fifty Vert a retirement present to myself. I’m fine with laying my golf bag on the rear seat / package shelf, especially if the top is down. If two of us are going golfing we either stack the bags on the package shelf or take the drivers out and lay those on the back seats and put two bags in the trunk with the top up.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:59 PM   #62
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Pretty much my experience, too. I liked Gen 5 but it wasn’t practical for me to buy one. I liked Gen 6 a whole lot more. And since I knew I’d be retiring, a garage slot would open up when I turned in the company car so I made the Fifty Vert a retirement present to myself. I’m fine with laying my golf bag on the rear seat / package shelf, especially if the top is down. If two of us are going golfing we either stack the bags on the package shelf or take the drivers out and lay those on the back seats and put two bags in the trunk with the top up.
The laughable part is GM does have targets for luggage and golf clubs. The problem is GMs “standard” for golf clubs is a canvas Sunday bag circa 1965. We could fit 2 sets of those in the trunk of an XLR with the top DOWN. So GM’s process allows them to convince themselves they are ok. Of course we won’t get into the story of how a GM exec ruined a leather golf bag and all mid size cars suddenly had 4 bar trunk hinges.

I’ve been on long trips with golf clubs in every Camaro up to Gen6 and Corvettes C5 through C6 and XLRs. Top down is a different problem all together.

And reason for my sensitivity may have been our Saturn Sky Redline. You could take another person your golf clubs........but not both.

I get it that some have convinced themselves these shortcomings are “OK” because you think it’s a sports car. For me the Camaro is a 2+2 Sporty Coupe. And I expect it to do a bit more than just go around a track fast.

The discussion for me has never been is the Camaro a great car. If you’ve read my posts you know I have consistently said that it is. The discussion is why is the clearly best performing car in this segment selling so poorly, and in 3rd place. If you own a Camaro you have for the most part either not noticed or not prioritized visibility. And that’s cool.

Last edited by Number 3; 05-27-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:38 PM   #63
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

I get it that some have convinced themselves these shortcomings are “OK” because you think it’s a sports car. For me the Camaro is a 2+2 Sporty Coupe. And I expect it to do a bit more than just go around a track fast.

The discussion for me has never been is the Camaro a great car. If you’ve read my posts you know I have consistently said that it is. The discussion is why is the clearly best performing car in this segment selling so poorly, and in 3rd place. If you own a Camaro you have for the most part either not noticed or not prioritized visibility. And that’s cool.
I wouldn’t say that I don’t prioritize visibility. I would say we probably have different thresholds for what is acceptable and what isn’t. I have driven a lot of GM cars as company vehicles, as have you. I’ve also driven a steady stream of competitor vehicles over the past 10 - 15 years, both in my last job at GM and my current job at IHS Markit. I’ve driven more than a few cars with worse visibility than Camaro. PT Cruiser and Chevy HHR are the worst “mass market” cars I can recall as far as poor visibility. Ironically, they were both designed by the same guy. A number of cars with 6-digit price tags were worse than Camaro, but those are not really worth discussing, as they rarely see a city street or mall parking lot.

Camaro visibility is what it is. For some people it works, for others not so much. Personally, part of the appeal to me of Camaro and Corvette is the low seating position. The way I position my seat and my mirrors, I have no issues with visibility except my right front corner on curb parking maneuvers. A friend of mine who has a Charger 392 Daytona got in my car, adjusted the seat up and complained that he couldn’t see traffic lights if he was in front at the light. I get it. But since I don’t adjust my seat up, I see the lights just fine. Thresholds.

I see everything I need to see from the Camaro cockpit. I see more from the Mustang cockpit and even more from the Chargallenger cockpit. It’s not enough of an improvement for me to give either of those cars more consideration than Camaro. Same with trunk space. More in Mustang, even more in Chargallenger. For the next guy any of those things might be critical and that’s where your pov gets validated. For me it was convertible + performance + appearance. Of the three, Camaro makes the best looking, best performing convertible, and visibility and cargo space aren’t bad enough to skewer the deal. People with different priorities or thresholds of acceptability may choose differently.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 05-28-2019, 02:17 AM   #64
IceGoaliePaul

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT
I almost didn't buy my camaro due to the tiny trunk opening. Being Canadian it had to fit a hockey bag. Luckily with enough effort it fits. Visibility was a huge non-issue once I drove it once.
IceGoaliePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:06 AM   #65
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGoaliePaul View Post
I almost didn't buy my camaro due to the tiny trunk opening. Being Canadian it had to fit a hockey bag. Luckily with enough effort it fits. Visibility was a huge non-issue once I drove it once.
Guessing you don’t put your leg pads in the bag. I used to get all my gear in Corvettes and Mustangs that I had owned, but I had stopped playing and sold all my stuff by the time I got the Camaro.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:13 AM   #66
tej

Drives: 2018 2ss Borla ATAK Cat Back
https://ibb.co/J5cvrs5

Here is the solution which is very close to 19 2SS and better in many case.
For under $100 i can see all lanes and behind and record them for extra security.
tej is offline   Reply With Quote