Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 04-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #71
blackSSRS

Drives: 2010 RS
when is this viper coming out or is it out? and what are upcoming changes to zr1's in the next year or so, i think all the talk about new viper and nothing mentioned about any new features on zr1's ( i know nothing of either car) is odd unless they are remaining unchanged. also c7's are coming
blackSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #72
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackSSRS View Post
when is this viper coming out or is it out? and what are upcoming changes to zr1's in the next year or so, i think all the talk about new viper and nothing mentioned about any new features on zr1's ( i know nothing of either car) is odd unless they are remaining unchanged. also c7's are coming
The Viper is going into production sometimes this year, since its being advertised as a 2013. You can't release an all new model during the current calender year, for reasons which escape me right now.

As for Corvette, I doubt there will be any changes for the 2013 model. Thats probably why nobody is talking about any changes to it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #73
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
ROFL, so much fail in this post hahahahahaha You do have some clue about cars right, you post looks like you have NO clue, especially about Mopars.
Most of my comments were tongue-in-cheek, but in all honesty it seriously is ugly IMHO, and it's a Dodge for sure. It's not even a ground-up remake, it's based on the old chassis (look at the trans tunnel...still huge). And no, it's not really going to fall apart and it will probably make horsepower as advertised, but it probably won't turn very well. You can race prep any car, but none of the vipers I've seen could turn very well. They are fast in straight lines, but they have to slow way down for turns or they end up in the grass.
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #74
MauriSSio
Banned

Drives: 1968 Ford Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHasCamaro View Post
Most of my comments were tongue-in-cheek, but in all honesty it seriously is ugly IMHO, and it's a Dodge for sure. It's not even a ground-up remake, it's based on the old chassis (look at the trans tunnel...still huge). And no, it's not really going to fall apart and it will probably make horsepower as advertised, but it probably won't turn very well. You can race prep any car, but none of the vipers I've seen could turn very well. They are fast in straight lines, but they have to slow way down for turns or they end up in the grass.
the previous viper can beat the zr1 around race tracks. If the Viper cant turn, what does that say about all the other cars that it destroys???
MauriSSio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #75
Yenko boy

Drives: 1969 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriSSio View Post
the previous viper can beat the zr1 around race tracks. If the Viper cant turn, what does that say about all the other cars that it destroys???
+1 Viper's are serious around corners.....
Yenko boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #76
TiE2000

Drives: Cobalt SS/SC
Quote:
That was the last Viper
I caught that in my later posts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriteCrawler View Post
The new car shown this week is technically the 5th generation of Viper.

yea my bad... I’m not a viper aficionado...
TiE2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #77
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Quote:
The people that think the new Viper is ugly are a VERY tiny minority, good thing looks are subjective........ Fact is, like it or not, ANY Viper is going to get MUCH more attention than any modern vette or Camaro, those are just the facts......
I doubt that. I probably get as many looks as a Viper. I have people sticking there cameras out the window to get a picture, I've had some people pull into parking lots where I was to ask about my car. I get thumbs up and waves from mostly Dodge's
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #78
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettzel View Post
Have you even considered the chassis and drivetrain, maybe even tires or gear ratios, or maybe even the tuning of the engine in your mini comparo Mr.Clutch.

Also. The ZR1 is already supercharged, which is how it reached the power level it did. Imagine this new viper with forced induction, then where will the ZR1 be?
Give the ZR1 2 more cylinders and see where it would be...

Go throw that money into the viper to FI it, throw the same amount of money in mods then at the ZR1 while your at it.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #79
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnya View Post
none of this really matters ! A Viper is still a Dodge ! And that equals junk, always has and always will be. Chrysler/Dodge has always been considered bottom of the rung in the car industry . I owned a Viper about five years ago for about two months, raggediest car Ive ever owned and Ive owned a bunch. It had decent power and tq but thats not everything, I can put decent power and tq in a lawnmower doesnt make it a high quality car. So to ever try and compare a ZR1 to a Viper is not fair to Dodge, Its like steak to Spam. Just look at the demand and on average resale value for Vipers and then look at the ZR1, there is a reason. Sorry Dodge guys just the facts. some of their cars do look good but the quality ? Yea not there. IMO !!! just my opinion And last time i checked we're still able to have one.
If you owned one, your opinion would change, our Dakota and Patriot have been great, my borthers 09 CTS on the otherhand has an interior waterfall in the rain, clunking front end, and a engine that misses (though i believe that got fixed, but took 5 annoying dealer trips to 2 different dealers, one of which tried to claim the ening missing is actually a tire out of balance). I won';t even go into my Parents 00 Regal and my 00 GTP with their crappy transmissions, failing ACs, interiors that literally fell apart in your hands...... I have owned lots of GM cars, but wouldn't now, my best one was probably my 96 Caprice, only real problems were a bad fuel pump, window got out of track, and that crappy dexcool stopping up my heater hoses (yes it sucks haveing to get out in the middle winter to pop the hood and squeeze heater hoses to get heat for at least 1/10th of a trip until you have time to get the whole freaking cooling system drained and flushed and it sucks even worse getting a mjor burn on your hand from having to squeeze the damn heater hoses halfway into a trip). try actually owning cars from both manufacturs (and as in my case more than one example from each) before spouting off.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #80
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synerbee View Post
I doubt that. I probably get as many looks as a Viper. I have people sticking there cameras out the window to get a picture, I've had some people pull into parking lots where I was to ask about my car. I get thumbs up and waves from mostly Dodge's
Maybe your area isn't as overrun with Camaros as it is here, but on average i can practically guarantee a viper will get more looks.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #81
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 View Post
Give the ZR1 2 more cylinders and see where it would be...

Go throw that money into the viper to FI it, throw the same amount of money in mods then at the ZR1 while your at it.
I like the viper but I gotta agree.

Not only 2 more cylinders, but an extra 2.2L of displacement. That is more additional displacement than some entire economy engines.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #82
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
I like the viper but I gotta agree.

Not only 2 more cylinders, but an extra 2.2L of displacement. That is more additional displacement than some entire economy engines.
So what? GM chose to go with forced induction for the ZR1, Dodge went with natural aspiration. If it GM felt it important, they'd have stuck a 9.3L V12 in the Corvette. If Chrysler felt it important, they'd have stuck a supercharged 6.4 in there. They didn't, for whatever reasons each company has. But the important thing to remember is that the cars are different means to accomplish the same goal, in this case, kickass supercar-beating American beasts with 639 hp (+/- 1). There are advantages and disadvantages to each approach. But complaining that the Viper has sooo much more displacement, or that the Viper should be given a supercharger to make things 'even' is BS.

Should they both have supercharged V10s then, to make it fair? Should they therefore have the same weight too, for the same reason? Then the same transmission, the same tires, same wheels, brakes, wheel base, track width, weight distribution, suspension setup, drag co-efficient, frontal area, and so on? There will always be elements where one car is slightly better than another. But if they are competing cars, it makes no sense to propose things to 'even the playing field' because once you start, it only makes sense to keep going until the two are 100% indistinguishable from the other. You can't have it both ways. You can't insist that one 'needs ____ ' for parity, then ignore every other aspect where the two are unequal.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 04-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #83
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
My neighbor (few houses down the street) just bought a new Viper.
He went from a 350z to a 370z to a Porsche Cayman to a Viper. I can only wonder what's next?

He was zooming up and down the street while I was washing my car a little earlier. It looked nice, but it's too quiet for being such a monster.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #84
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
My neighbor (few houses down the street) just bought a new Viper.
He went from a 350z to a 370z to a Porsche Cayman to a Viper. I can only wonder what's next?

He was zooming up and down the street while I was washing my car a little earlier. I looked nice, but too quiet for being such a monster.
Is it new new or just 'new to him'? I ask because the last one rolled off the assembly line in early July 2010. I can't think it was sitting on the lot unsold for roughly 2 years.

Camaro Fest sub-forum