Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-01-2019, 09:03 AM   #15
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Not tuning for headers: Will it run from not tuning yes, but it will likely be slower then stock exhaust be cause of a few things.

1) Air fuel ratio is going to be off. MAF will need some work.

2) You will likely be bumping into the ECU preset torque limits, so the throttle is going to close to get the engine back under the desired torque. That means the potential increase in power is not making it to the tires.

3) Check engine light could put you in reduced power mode on the newer models with a E92a, but since you have a 2016 this likely won't be an issue.

4) Never take advice from anybody that specializes in Gen 3 & 4 LS. They think they know, but they really don't. Tuning Gen 4 LS based ECU's are not the same as Gen 5 Torque based systems.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:51 AM   #16
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
Could that be shudder? I ended up replacing my converter with a Circle D one.
I suppose it could be. I had the shudder quite noticeably at about 10-15k miles. The dealership did the flush, and so far I have not noticed any reoccurrence. This new “vibration” is happening only when the 4-cyl mode kicks on. Before, the shudder happened in either mode. But, if it doesn’t go away after this tune, then I’ll be screwed anyway because the tune is going to void my powertrain warranty!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:53 AM   #17
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i drove mine for around 2 or 3 months with no tune and the check engine light would pop on every week or so but car drove fine. got a tune havent had one light since
Old 05-01-2019, 01:33 PM   #18
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
I guess I'm confused as to why you wouldn't. If it's because you don't want to void the warranty, you will likely void a lot of it the minute you install the headers.... they can blame a lot on messed up AFR's.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:50 PM   #19
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I will never understand ideas like this. There is no way you will get the full benefit of running headers without a tune. Not to mention under the right circumstance you could end up doing damage to the engine. So what exactly is there to gain by installing them without a tune?
Old 05-01-2019, 01:59 PM   #20
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Some people can't afford to do it all at once so they wait on the tune if they can. I wouldn't hesitate to run one of these cars untuned with headers for a couple of months if it worked out that way.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:03 PM   #21
blazzin1

Quote:
Some people can't afford to do it all at once so they wait on the tune if they can. I wouldn't hesitate to run one of these cars untuned with headers for a couple of months if it worked out that way.

That's exactly it! I spent around $3000 on my full SW Exhaust with headers with installation. After finding out that a dyno tune was another $600, I had to wait a while, and things just kept coming up... Here we are 4 months later....and I decided I'm going to do a mail order tune and skip the dyno....with all the equipment I had to buy, that'll be another $1200. Money is tight, especially when you have a Wife that doesn't want you to spend anything on your car!
Old 05-01-2019, 08:07 PM   #22
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
That's exactly it! I spent around $3000 on my full SW Exhaust with headers with installation. After finding out that a dyno tune was another $600, I had to wait a while, and things just kept coming up... Here we are 4 months later....and I decided I'm going to do a mail order tune and skip the dyno....with all the equipment I had to buy, that'll be another $1200. Money is tight, especially when you have a Wife that doesn't want you to spend anything on your car!
I completely understand, my wife has been surprisingly understandable Rotofab, headers, catback, cam, tune and drag pack later. I just told her I'm buying a Procharger or turbo kit in the next few months, lol.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:15 PM   #23
blazzin1

Quote:
I completely understand, my wife has been surprisingly understandable Rotofab, headers, catback, cam, tune and drag pack later. I just told her I'm buying a Procharger or turbo kit in the next few months, lol.
I was lucky to get my exhaust and a Rotofab. But after spending another $1200 on tune and equipment, I was quickly shot down on some new forged wheels before CamaroFest!!! Guess I was pushing my luck! Either way, I’ll Be happy when this tune gets done!
Old 05-01-2019, 08:22 PM   #24
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
I was lucky to get my exhaust and a Rotofab. But after spending another $1200 on tune and equipment, I was quickly shot down on some new forged wheels before CamaroFest!!! Guess I was pushing my luck! Either way, I’ll Be happy when this tune gets done!
Lol yeah most women don't understand the hobby.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:49 PM   #25
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Lol yeah most women don't understand the hobby.
Just tell her it's boy jewelry. She'll understand then.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:21 PM   #26
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Well not tuning a blown car after adding more boost and not tuning an N/A car after adding headers aren't even in the same ballpark.

Tuning will give you more horsepower, better gas mileage and better drive ability because it will run rich after headers.
The point of the story wasn't about the difference between adding boost on a SC engine vs LTs on a NA engine. The point was to say that sometimes things end badly when you listen to others instead of doing things the proper way the first time. NA, supercharged, turbo, whatever, I would never do a mod like LTs and run the car without a tune. Sure people say "it's safe", "it's fine", but it's always safe and fine until it isn't.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:57 AM   #27
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
The point of the story wasn't about the difference between adding boost on a SC engine vs LTs on a NA engine. The point was to say that sometimes things end badly when you listen to others instead of doing things the proper way the first time. NA, supercharged, turbo, whatever, I would never do a mod like LTs and run the car without a tune. Sure people say "it's safe", "it's fine", but it's always safe and fine until it isn't.
He'll be fine running headers with no tune for awhile, adding boost to a supercharged car not at all.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:20 AM   #28
Jhunsberger

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6 (SOLD)
So if it is a monetary reason for not doing a tune, why not buy the headers, save up for the tune, then do it together. That way you dont risk anything. Just like someone said, things come up.......so you put the headers on with the thought of saving for a tune in a few months and it turns into 6-12 months. At that point you are putting header on for what, the sound, and risk possible damage or drivability issues? Its just the way i think and operate, just do it right the first time, end of story. Nothing is inexpensive these days, let alone moding a modern day performance car.

Stock: 416hp/427tq, 12.21 @ 116.80

Modified 02/2019: Whipple SC w/ 3.500 pulley, LT4 fueling, NW 103 TB, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Kooks 2" jet coated, full Borla ATAK exhaust, DSS axles, Gforce driveshaft.

Tuned by EFX Tuning 688hp/632tq

Best 1/4 to date: 10.705 @ 131.92
Jhunsberger is offline   Reply With Quote