Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-17-2017, 05:16 AM   #1
ckahsen

Drives: 2014 LS
Mulch on Microfibers

Well, I pulled everything out yesterday to do a rinseless and noticed that all my brand new microfibers (530gsm from Glens bio) had inadvertently been washed with a towel that had fallen in the mulch. They all have bits of mulch stuck in them now. I'm contemplating throwing them all out (6) and just buying new ones. Even if I sit there for 3 hours and pick each piece out by hand, I'm not sure I will ever feel comfortable letting them touch my paint again.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
ckahsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:41 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
No thoughts, your decision....pick 'em clean or dump them. Been there.....I have a few that only see wheel duty for this reason.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:15 AM   #3
LiqTenExp

Drives: 2017 ZL1
cost of rags vs cost of knowing you are scratching your paint?
Old 04-17-2017, 07:13 AM   #4
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
I would discard them. Even if you put them as engine or wheel towels, you risk scratching something.
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR View Post
I would discard them. Even if you put them as engine or wheel towels, you risk scratching something.
Makes good grease hand rags though! I have 100's of micro fiber towels for this reason. Seems they pick up mulch and I do not even have mulch in my yard. All rock flower beds. Go Figure
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:30 AM   #6
Dub9

Drives: F1fty SS
I got some mulch on a couple towels, and then tried to wash them. It transferred across all towels in the load. Now I have a pile of microfibers to use if I have to wipe up oil spills or something.

Don't think you can clean them or use on paint ever again.
Dub9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:47 AM   #7
ckahsen

Basically the same conclusion I came to. I threw the bad ones away and saved the less bad ones for oil/floors. Stinks they are ruined! I only got to do 1 rinseless with them before they died lol.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #8
Drysideshooter

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I have a punch for big grommets. When I end up with a microfiber towel that is contaminated I punch a hole in a corner so it's easily distinguishable from my other towels if I have other towels the same color. I end up using them for anything not paint or glass related. I have a couple I use for cleaning out the end of exhaust tips, others I will use for wiping tires, and others just become hand rags on a bench or by a sink. I don't think it's worth missing something and scratching something you'd prefer not to.

I keep contaminated and old towels separate from other towels as well. The hole in the corner helps avoid any confusion. A fairly permanent dye would probably work too.
Drysideshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I keep a window pile, wax pile, tire pile, and grease pile. Time order new ones and put them in the grease pile.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:28 PM   #10
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Chinese made microfiber towels will do this. They grab and wont let go. Get yourself some high quality Korean made microfiber towels.

Unfortunately you just missed a sale on them. The Rag Company Eagle Edgeless towels are one of the highest quality towels you can buy for the money. And if you accidentally drop them in mulch or leaves, all you have to do is shake them out.

A couple months back I did a wash/clay/hydrofoam for a friend of mine. He was helping me and despite me telling him to put used towels in the empty bucket, he laid 2 of them in the mulch in front of my apartment.

One was a Chinese towel, it's trashed now, one was an eagle edgeless. A few shakes and all the particles were gone from the EE.

These towels are very durable as well. I have some that are 3 years old and still perform as well as they did when new.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:39 PM   #11
ckahsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Chinese made microfiber towels will do this. They grab and wont let go. Get yourself some high quality Korean made microfiber towels.

Unfortunately you just missed a sale on them. The Rag Company Eagle Edgeless towels are one of the highest quality towels you can buy for the money. And if you accidentally drop them in mulch or leaves, all you have to do is shake them out.

A couple months back I did a wash/clay/hydrofoam for a friend of mine. He was helping me and despite me telling him to put used towels in the empty bucket, he laid 2 of them in the mulch in front of my apartment.

One was a Chinese towel, it's trashed now, one was an eagle edgeless. A few shakes and all the particles were gone from the EE.

These towels are very durable as well. I have some that are 3 years old and still perform as well as they did when new.

I had bought the 530gsm ones from Autopia that Glenn recommended in his signature documents. While I could get the mulch out I had to pick at it, and I definitely couldn't shake them out. Would these eagles (480gsm) be suitable for rinseless washes too?

Old 04-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #12
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckahsen View Post
I had bought the 530gsm ones from Autopia that Glenn recommended in his signature documents. While I could get the mulch out I had to pick at it, and I definitely couldn't shake them out. Would these eagles (480gsm) be suitable for rinseless washes too?

Absolutely. They have a nice deep pile so when your wiping your paint, the dirt goes up into the towel, away from your paint.

I have a few of those towels you have. I use them for washing wheels.

Another tip I can give from trying tons of different ones is what you use to wash your microfiber towels.

Purex Free & Clear. For all the towels you use for rinseless, waterless, drying, interior cleaning, this is all you need. It's inexpensive and works really well.

I've tried several of the microfiber soaps, and while they do a better job on towels used for wax or sealant removal, I see no difference on towels used for regular cleaning.

I did a thread on this on the C5 forum (disregard the Yahoo's who support using towels once and throwing them away) with pictures of results.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472207

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:04 PM   #13
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Just to be clear, my documents Have never recommended any microfibers from autopia.(see doc #2) My recommendation was from microfibertech.com For a 530 GSM all purpose towel. That has been discontinued , so it's up to you guys to figure out what you want to use. These certainly look good.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:16 PM   #14
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Just to be clear, my documents Have never recommended any microfibers from autopia.(see doc #2) My recommendation was from microfibertech.com For a 530 GSM all purpose towel. That has been discontinued , so it's up to you guys to figure out what you want to use. These certainly look good.

Didn't intend anything directed against you friend!

By the way, I still want to send you a RC Everest 1100. I have a lot of the eagle edgeless too. I cant use them all!