Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-22-2017, 06:08 PM   #15
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevstevd View Post
I just spent a bit watching the install video and it seems as though I could easily do this myself. Just roll the car up onto a couple blocks for a little clearance. a bit scary to make those cuts, but not too bad. Probably be about an hour of work tops, and even if it took 2 hours for some reason (getting bolts off, etc) it still be better than taking it to the dealer and waiting.

I also spent some time listening to the borla exhaust v6 video on youtube with nice headphones, and honestly the difference between the s type and atak isn't earth shattering. At least when I got back and forth from the cold start and revs. Seems night and day difference from stock though (both). I'd probably be happy with either of them.

Still undecided, but it will be one or the other I'm sure!

Youre exactly right on the sound levels. Hearing em both in person you dont hear much a difference till redlining it.

As for install. Install is crazy easy. Less than an hour for even a newb to install. Its really basic.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #16
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevstevd View Post
I just spent a bit watching the install video and it seems as though I could easily do this myself. Just roll the car up onto a couple blocks for a little clearance. a bit scary to make those cuts, but not too bad. Probably be about an hour of work tops, and even if it took 2 hours for some reason (getting bolts off, etc) it still be better than taking it to the dealer and waiting.

I also spent some time listening to the borla exhaust v6 video on youtube with nice headphones, and honestly the difference between the s type and atak isn't earth shattering. At least when I got back and forth from the cold start and revs. Seems night and day difference from stock though (both). I'd probably be happy with either of them.

Still undecided, but it will be one or the other I'm sure!
If you want sound get the Atak.....its been known for years on here that the GM performance exhaust is to quiet. Here is stock vs Atak on a v6. The drive by sounds pretty good.

rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:49 AM   #17
stevstevd

Drives: MBM 2016 2LT RS
that video sums it up perfectly. I wasn't able to find similar that compared a before after from the s type, although the main borla video does seem to show the difference being pretty minor. Hard to really tell in that one though for sure since its different part numbers (for the npp system).

I was set on the atak until for example in the phastek install video they mention "the owner wanted something louder, but not crazy since its a daily driver so they are middle ground"... It then got me thinking the atak is 'crazy' and only people that want to be known as 'that guy/girl' would get it.

I wonder what the difference is between a stock non-npp ss vs. atak v6? I don't think the atak would be so earth shattering as to be 'that guy'.

Last edited by stevstevd; 04-23-2017 at 06:48 AM.
stevstevd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #18
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Well imo i have exhaust on my car to suit the needs i have. I had really loud....then decided to quiet it down. Well that didnt last long lol Now im back to very loud and couldnt be happier. Judging by the those drivebys are under hard throttle. And coming from a guy with loud exhaust.....you wont sound like that guy. Dont worry about others....they dont drive your car.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #19
stevstevd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Well imo i have exhaust on my car to suit the needs i have. I had really loud....then decided to quiet it down. Well that didnt last long lol Now im back to very loud and couldnt be happier. Judging by the those drivebys are under hard throttle. And coming from a guy with loud exhaust.....you wont sound like that guy. Dont worry about others....they dont drive your car.
you're right - that sums it really nicely actually. I daily drive my car, to and from work, and to the gym etc. Once in a while for groceries or to pick up kids from school on my way from work. I leave early in the morning and don't push the throttle like crazy, but once in a while yes, I like to hear some roar out of it.

The way I see it is its 1000$ that I am using because it didn't come with npp. If I am going to put money in, I may as well get it as far from stock while still being 'quality' as it can. And it seems from every post I am leaning more towards the Atak. Worse comes to worse, I can always sell it and move 'down'...
Old 04-23-2017, 12:45 PM   #20
MyneS
STORM

Drives: 2021 Satin Steel Metallic 2SS
I've read and listened to several and I'm going w ATAK...if the stars line up right

Check out: The creation of STORM
American Authority Front Bumper, ACS Rockers, GM Dark taillights, ZL1 Carbon Fiber interior dash, Engine Bay “red hot” Dress Up, 6LE Skorpion hood, Borla ATAK w Xpipes (TRADED)
MyneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:24 AM   #21
stevstevd

So my now dilemma is choosing between s type and atak... I feel as though something about the s is appealing as in theory, or based on write ups, the sound won't be 'overdone'.

My fear is that the atak is actually not crazy loud, or overdone, and that it simply is better (more growl, more pops, etc). I don't have npp, so to get a true comparison I've been going back and forth on some of the videos on youtube and posted here on stock v6 vs. atak as well as the phastek install video where at the end there is a small clip of the s type sound.

Really having a tough time and don't want to regret my decision! Seems like I'll be happy either way, but I just want to make sure I'm getting the right one.

Like I said, my car is a daily driver 6am to 2pm type job, and just a couple drives here and there. I'll open up the car maybe once each drive, and when I do I just want to feel and hear some extra umph than stock. I also have to worry about people sleeping at 5:30 am, but for some reason I think s type or atak will produce the same initial bark, and those 2 seconds are followed by a calm anyway, so either of them isn't going to be tooooo loud
Old 04-26-2017, 05:16 PM   #22
stevstevd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongos2U View Post
I think I'm leaning towards the S type. Sounds are hard from a video, but from the subtle difference I hear, in the NPP borla v6 video by borla, I tend to hear a better sounds on the S type.

Now, whether that translates into the non-npp, tough to know for sure. I am not looking to be louder, I am just looking for 'better' if that makes sense. Perhaps some will agree that S is better, and other atak. Unfortunately it seems it will be impossible to know for sure and I should just pick one!

Perhaps someone can answer me this... Will S type on my stock v6 be more impressive sounding than NPP without borla? Originally I wanted NPP, so I will be happy if it is an upgrade that can rival that.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:33 PM   #23
Kencamaro

Drives: 2016 Nightfall 2lt 3.6 convertible
Just installed S-type yesterday (very easy)
And love the sound
Could be a little louder and if I ordered today it would be the atak
The overall look with the new system is a huge improvement over stock
Very happy overall
Attached Images

Kencamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #24
stevstevd

I pulled the trigger on the Atak! While many people seemed to say the S was great and would be happy with it, I just felt too many people saying they wished they went to the Atak. No one with the Atak has ever said they wish they went S so i figured Atak was the way to go. I don't want to ever have the feeling of wanting more, so I am just going to be okay with hoping I don't want 'less'.

Although, the universe spoke to me when I was told the Atak would be delivered to my door in 5 days, whereas I'd have to wait for the S...
Old 07-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #25
LtColumbo

Drives: 2017 1LT RS V6 A8, 2020 Fusion
Was the Atak enough? Too much?

I drove a V6 with NPP and thought it a bit loud inside the car. Would the Atak or the S type be more comparable to NPP? I want a bit more "soundtrack" while cruising without being obnoxious under load and droning while cruising.

Last edited by LtColumbo; 07-19-2017 at 12:47 PM.
LtColumbo is offline   Reply With Quote