Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-14-2020, 09:13 PM   #71
IAI80

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTAPOWA View Post
You mean he conned you. A 7 year old odyssey doesn't lose value for having minor paint work. He just found a way to pay you less and you fell for it.
Negative. We got up and started walking out willing to hang on to the Honda another year if need be. The homework was all done and I knew what our out the door limit should be. We ended up better than that. No regrets, paid it off in 3 years. He had a good eye though, I’ll give him that.

Last edited by IAI80; 05-14-2020 at 09:27 PM.
IAI80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:40 PM   #72
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Looking at those pictures, I'd say that pillar section is definitely damaged. The hinges have pulled outward on it a bunch, and that's difficult to impossible to get back straight again. So that part will most likely be replaced. While not "structural" in the sense that it affects handling or wheel alignment, it will require some fairly extensive work to replace.

Just as a side note, I'd say he caught the door on the overhead door frame, not the lift post. The car door was probably already behind the lift post as he came backwards. Also you can see the white paint from the overhead door smeared on the inner car door panel.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:46 PM   #73
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
The planks are there to keep the front cover/splitter from banging the lift. Very common stuff for low ground clearance cars like the Camaro or Corvette.

Also, I'm pretty certain the pillar is fine. You can see where the hinges bent from the force. That's the way they are designed and prevent this sort of damage (twisting the pillar) from totaling the car.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:19 PM   #74
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyhamster View Post
Left Uni-side Panel Hinge Pillar (Possible Inner Pillar Damage)
Set up and measure of the frame/uni-body and a pull for the uni-body.
So, a question for all you “they’ll fix it and you should be happy” folks....
If someone came on this forum and asked if they should buy this car because it’s a “great deal”, but has this history, what would be your replies?

Because I see a lot of “walk away” replies when people do that for rental cars, 3-4 previous owners, possible A8 issues, etc.

When you start “pulling” on a unibody to straighten it, chances are it’ll never track right again, there will be fit issues, there will be rattle issues, etc. That pillar is a major structural component of the car. I wouldn’t want it back.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:17 PM   #75
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
If someone came on this forum and asked if they should buy this car because it’s a “great deal”, but has this history, what would be your replies?

Because I see a lot of “walk away” replies when people do that for rental cars, 3-4 previous owners, possible A8 issues, etc.

When you start “pulling” on a unibody to straighten it, chances are it’ll never track right again, there will be fit issues, there will be rattle issues, etc. That pillar is a major structural component of the car. I wouldn’t want it back.
There are 2 types of people on here

1- people who want a brand new car that has zero history (from factory).

2- people who don't mind the car's past and are happy with how it is.

(Ok ok there are people in between but in simplifying here...)

You are from group one, I am from group 1.75 (see what I did there? Hehe).

What I just hope is that OP gets the situation fixed the way he wants it. By another car or this one being fixed.

I think that's what we all hope for.

But I totally understand your point and mostly agree with you.
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:35 PM   #76
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Quote:
That pillar is a major structural component of the car.
Except for the fact that pillar isn't damaged. If it were twisted, It would of pinched/cracked the windshield. There is absolutely no way you're going to move that pillar and not have glass 4-6 inches away from the hinge be unscathed.

There are no buckle/stretch marks in the sheet metal behind the hinge, around the upper pillar, or cabin pillar area.

If you zoom in to pic 1- The front of the upper hinge is flat on the pillar.

Pic 2 shows the front of the lower hinge still flat on the pillar.
That's because the pillar didn't move.

The hinges were designed to fail in this type of accident. Not the pillar.
And, you can see how they failed. They curled right up at the design point, but the bolts still held.

A complete door, door panel, door limiter, possibly door glass and regulator, lower rocker panel and a fender.

The switches, speaker, mirror, lock/handle, and probably door wire loom all appear reusable.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:56 AM   #77
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
I will say one last thing. Having had cars that have been damaged, whether by me or someone else, the picture in your mind of your damaged car, will be there forever. Everytime you look at it you will see that damage even though it is repaired. Just my thoughts, you and others may be different.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:09 AM   #78
TP2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Except for the fact that pillar isn't damaged. If it were twisted, It would of pinched/cracked the windshield. There is absolutely no way you're going to move that pillar and not have glass 4-6 inches away from the hinge be unscathed.

There are no buckle/stretch marks in the sheet metal behind the hinge, around the upper pillar, or cabin pillar area.

If you zoom in to pic 1- The front of the upper hinge is flat on the pillar.

Pic 2 shows the front of the lower hinge still flat on the pillar.
That's because the pillar didn't move.

The hinges were designed to fail in this type of accident. Not the pillar.
And, you can see how they failed. They curled right up at the design point, but the bolts still held.

A complete door, door panel, door limiter, possibly door glass and regulator, lower rocker panel and a fender.

The switches, speaker, mirror, lock/handle, and probably door wire loom all appear reusable.
It was kind of hard to see when I zoomed in on it, but I thought it was damaged. If not, your point is valid, however the write up the OP posted says otherwise.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
Old 05-15-2020, 07:36 AM   #79
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Quote:
It was kind of hard to see when I zoomed in on it, but I thought it was damaged. If not, your point is valid, however the write up the OP posted says otherwise.
I missed the second post by the OP. So, I may be wrong as well. It just doesn't look as serious as some people are making it out to be was my main point.

The measurement will tell if it's out of spec. Obviously, they have the car and the tools to figure it out way better than we can over the interwebs...
Old 05-15-2020, 07:42 AM   #80
slimjim2525

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
The more I go on this site, the more nervous I get to bring my car to the dealer. The two times I brought my car to the dealer were a minor nightmare. My wifes old Camry back in 1996 had the window come off the track. Brought it to the dealer to be fixed, they called my wife and said you need a new battery, tranny flush, spark plugs and wires, etc, etc, etc. She called me in a panic not sure what to do. I told them to put the f'ing window back on the track.
I just bring my Camaro to get my free oil change and hood latch was acting up, they drive my car 24 miles and put the back seat down. Other than these two things which were under warranty, I do all my own stuff, or I have a very reputable garage to go to, that a close friend owns.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:50 AM   #81
TP2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
I missed the second post by the OP. So, I may be wrong as well. It just doesn't look as serious as some people are making it out to be was my main point.

The measurement will tell if it's out of spec. Obviously, they have the car and the tools to figure it out way better than we can over the interwebs...
It’s all good brother! You know one of the things I like about this forum is that people disagree on stuff but it’s all still respectful. Some of the other forums I participate in, not so much. And this being an anonymous forum, that says a lot!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
Old 05-15-2020, 07:59 AM   #82
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Quote:
It’s all good brother! You know one of the things I like about this forum is that people disagree on stuff but it’s all still respectful. Some of the other forums I participate in, not so much. And this being an anonymous forum, that says a lot!
In the end we all love each other.

Big social distancing hug guys!!!
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:04 AM   #83
MISTAPOWA

Drives: camaro rs
Quote:

The thing is the dealership will most likely pay for this out of pocket so there will be no marks on a Carfax. No insurance claim, no record of a repair order since it will be billed internal, it will be fixed and done.

Working at a dealership for over 20 years most every used car that comes through the door has some kind of damage, paint work, touch up, or something most people will never notice. Carfax's are clean, vin stickers still there, nobody would know. Hell many new cars have carrier and lot damage and are internally billed at cost so it doesn't have to be disclosed. Or if it's over a large dollar amount they are put as loaners and then does not need to be disclosed. I'm sure there are a few of you out there who's brand new car has already had paintwork and you will never know.

Once you realize it's just a car and accept something has happened, you can chill out and enjoy the car that much more without being paranoid and spending every weekend of your life putting ceramic coating on crappy factory paint while your kids wonder where their dad moved to.
MISTAPOWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:49 AM   #84
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I couldn’t agree with you more MISTAPOWA!�� When I had a major front end collision in my new 2016 2SS about 6 months after buying it I was wondering if it would total or be repaired. My insurance company decided to repair because the car was so new and all the airbags didn’t deploy even though the right side front was practically destroyed. The car was in the body shop for 2 months being repaired as it took that long to get some of the replacement parts and finally I got it back but had to take it to get some issues checked out after the initial repairs. The car had over $18,000 in damage after all was said and done but it didn’t stop me from enjoying it after getting it back as it drove and performed the same as before the accident. When I traded it on my used ZL1 last year in March I told the dealership that the SS had been in a major accident and when the Sales Manager looked it over he couldn’t believe it because it had been repaired so well. So the moral is to get a good body shop to do the repairs and move on in your life and if you don’t have the interest left for the car then get something else and let it go down the road to someone else.