Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-08-2023, 01:16 PM   #1
gaspipe

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro RS
RPM Needle Bouncing

My RPM needle will bounce as I drive... it idles smooth and with no bounce. Any suggestions and or tips would be extremely appreciated as I have taken it to the dealership I bought it from and have a warranty through and they've told me its fine... I'm not convinced. This link goes to a YouTube video I uploaded showing my concern. https://youtube.com/shorts/dYaV9H7gj0s?feature=share
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 01:36 PM   #2
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe View Post
My RPM needle will bounce as I drive... it idles smooth and with no bounce. Any suggestions and or tips would be extremely appreciated as I have taken it to the dealership I bought it from and have a warranty through and they've told me its fine... I'm not convinced. This link goes to a YouTube video I uploaded showing my concern. https://youtube.com/shorts/dYaV9H7gj0s?feature=share
If it was an old car with distributor I'd say its the ignition, or even the crankshaft position sensor... Does the engine has a misfire or acts weird?

That signal comes from the ECU. It a could be real RPM fluctiations or an issue with the tachometer.
I'd say you need to plug an OBD2 diagnose tool and check what the RPM looks like. If they are also fluctuating in the scanner, then you have an issue either with the engine or if it is auto also the transmission.

Good Luck.
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 01:50 PM   #3
gaspipe

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro RS
The engine doesn't misfire or act weird, it just pulses while I drive and I can also audibly hear the car sometimes match the RPM fluctuation. Its a 2019 so not to old lol. Maybe I will try switching the crankshaft position sensor out.
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 02:11 PM   #4
Johnfin

Drives: 2018 ss
Before changing anything i would check it with the obdii
Like previously mentioned. Mine had a wild tach and the
Dealer put it on a techii and reprogrammed something to fix it.
Johnfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 04:14 PM   #5
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe View Post
The engine doesn't misfire or act weird, it just pulses while I drive and I can also audibly hear the car sometimes match the RPM fluctuation. Its a 2019 so not to old lol. Maybe I will try switching the crankshaft position sensor out.
If you feel the car matching the tach fluctiation then you have an issue. Might be transmission if auto. Torque converter locking/unlocking or oil pressure in the clutches can cause that.
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 07:43 AM   #6
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamero6 View Post
If you feel the car matching the tach fluctuation then you have an issue.
Agree.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 07:57 AM   #7
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Loose grounds cause this. Check 'em.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 07:48 AM   #8
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
If it's an automatic, how many miles on the transmission / current fluid?

It's anecdotal, but I'll relay why I'm asking...

My wife's Acura was purchased CPO with about 25k on it. The service interval for a fluid change will vary based on conditions to somewhere between 30k and 60k. Her car indicated the fluid should be changed around 35k or so and we ignored it. Her Accord had over 200k on it and the transmission fluid was seldom changed...

At close to 50k we finally got it changed because I noticed the same type of symptoms you're describing... on the highway, with a very slight uphill grade (this ensured you were pressing the accelerator slightly but not hard enough to cause it to downshift), the tach needle would pulse and you could make out a slight change in the sounds from the engine (indicating that it was surging slightly). End result was that the transmission was starting to slip slightly.

Acura's change process is to drain and fill the transmission three full times (using approximately 12 quarts of ATF). I had my mechanic do a drain and fill, we drove it for about 200 miles, then returned for a second drain and fill. Car now has about 75k on it and it has been flawless since we took care of it.

TL;DR - if you have an automatic and are at/above the 50k mark, consider getting the fluid changed. If your mileage is below that, consider taking your car to a reputable transmission shop for deeper diagnosis.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 07:55 AM   #9
Johnfin

Drives: 2018 ss
You guys keep mentioning the transmission. How is a tachometer related to the transmission. If I put the car in neutral and rev the engine, the tach reads the engine rpm's, the trans is not moving.
Johnfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 07:56 AM   #10
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfin View Post
You guys keep mentioning the transmission. How is a tachometer related to the transmission. If I put the car in neutral and rev the engine, the tach reads the engine rpm's, the trans is not moving.
Read my post.
Old 07-12-2023, 09:07 AM   #11
bdavies11

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Most likely a grounding issue. Myself and many others had the bouncing tach on hot days, along with the hot start issue. I followed SSDan's guidance a couple years ago at this link https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586153 and it fixed both my issues at once. Haven't had a bouncy tach since.

No reason not to give it a shot. Its quick, easy, cheap and even if it doesn't help the tach, it won't hurt anything.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 09:22 AM   #12
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavies11 View Post
Most likely a grounding issue. Myself and many others had the bouncing tach on hot days, along with the hot start issue. I followed SSDan's guidance a couple years ago at this link https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586153 and it fixed both my issues at once. Haven't had a bouncy tach since.

No reason not to give it a shot. Its quick, easy, cheap and even if it doesn't help the tach, it won't hurt anything.
Interesting... The hot start / heat soak issue was constrained to the 2016, was it not? After that, they corrected the shielding?

Like you said... easy to at least look into if not potentially modify.
Old 07-12-2023, 09:53 AM   #13
rcoe

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Grounding issue.

Run a nice fat ground wire from the grounding point by the front pass side fuse box to the engine block.

This is super easy and cheap, great first step in tracking down the issue.
American Racing headers - Borla S-type
rcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 10:13 PM   #14
Wontspeak

Drives: 1SS 1LE
Mine.
Attached Images

Wontspeak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rpm, rpm needle bouncing