Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-21-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
S2Charlie

Drives: Women wild...
Thumbs down MyLink shi*s the bed and Chevy's Draconian software policy...

It was bound to happen... everything was going so well...
My radio died, it took with it my backup camera, my startup Camaro animation on the instrument panel, Bluetooth, and ALL my radio options .
SOMETIMES FM works, but only my presets and volume via the steering wheel and sometime that just goes off and leaves me to ponder my existence and how much fun it would be to let 6.2 Liters go on the village streets. It started with a black screen that just appeared to be "off" After about 10 minutes THIS (see pic) popped up http://imgur.com/a/u9ToV
Okay, software burps sometimes... but Chevy doesn't trust us to update our own software... so I have to bring it in?!?!? I'm pretty sure I can format a USB stick and plug it in rather than wasting 4 hours at the service department. If my storage device is corrupt that's a different story, but at least let me try to avoid bringing the car in! And I'm SURE if my warranty was expired it would cost me $200 for a Chevy tech to plug a USB drive into my car (because NOBODY can get their software) If somebody knows a Chevy tech, I will literally pay you to Email me this "update" to avoid the annoyance of waiting for my appointment at the dealership, either way this SUCKS. I already miss my Android Auto and Prime music ... so that's how my day is going... LOL
Attached Images

2016 2SS Red Hot, Black Metallic Rally Stripes, A8, MRC, NPP, Sunroof, Adrenaline Red Interior w/ Accents, Upgraded Radio :: STOCK (as far as the wifey knows...)
2009 H/D 883 Sportster Denim Black with Straight Pipes and ECU
2006 Mustang GT Coupe Automatic (Sorry guys) JLT2 CAI w/ SCT2 Tuner & Brenspeed 93 Oct. Tune, Kooks LT Headers, High Flow Cats, and X-Pipe, Corsa Mufflers, 3.73's, Seq. Signals, Spinner Caps 290/303 RWHP/TQ at 88º TRADED IN FOR THE NEW BABY...
S2Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
You're right about GM's antiquated policy on software, but these are the same @ssh0les that are suing to say they own your entire vehicle after you buy it and can't do jack to it without their permission.

GM, if you need a primer in how this works and minimizes risk, let me outline it for you.

1. People register their vehicle at mychevrolet.com
2. Owners get an email when a new update is available for any module in their vehicle
3. Owner installs a Download Manager from mychevrolet.com (a 300KB application)
4. Owner gets a download token from mychevrolet.com
5. Browser asks permission to open the Download Manager, sending the token code in the launch command
6. Download Manager asks the owner to insert a USB flash drive
7. Download Manager formats the flash drive
8. Download Manager downloads the update directly to the flash drive
9. Once download is complete, Download Manager checks the download against an MD5 hash
10. Owner takes the flash drive and plugs into a USB port
11. Owner puts the vehicle in accessory mode
12. PDIM indexes the flash drive and see an update file on the root, compares the versions on the flash drive and the active module firmware, if flash drive is same or older, ignore
13. MyLink prompts the owner to install the discovered update if newer than existing version
14. Depending on the type of update, the owner may be asked to start the vehicle before it begins
15. Once the update is complete, the vehicle honks the horn and shuts down
16. Owner removes the flash drive and starts the vehicle

Development time for Download Manager and owner portal download section, plus notification gateway -- 30 days, including QA & UAT.

Money GM saves not paying dealerships for service appointments related to reflashing a module or coordinating possible urgent TSB's -- likely 10,000,000$/year across all GM brands. I'll do it for 200,000$ upfront and 200,000$/year maintenance & support. ROI is less than 30 days.

Oh and customers actually loving that they can keep their vehicle up to date faster than their wireless carrier approves phone security updates is just a side effect. We know you don't want to make them happy.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:45 PM   #3
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Or, better yet, GM automatically sends out the latest update and it downloads and installs into your MyLink via satellite.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
Vyncynt

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS (on order)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
You're right about GM's antiquated policy on software, but these are the same @ssh0les that are suing to say they own your entire vehicle after you buy it and can't do jack to it without their permission.

GM, if you need a primer in how this works and minimizes risk, let me outline it for you.

1. People register their vehicle at mychevrolet.com
2. Owners get an email when a new update is available for any module in their vehicle
3. Owner installs a Download Manager from mychevrolet.com (a 300KB application)
4. Owner gets a download token from mychevrolet.com
5. Browser asks permission to open the Download Manager, sending the token code in the launch command
6. Download Manager asks the owner to insert a USB flash drive
7. Download Manager formats the flash drive
8. Download Manager downloads the update directly to the flash drive
9. Once download is complete, Download Manager checks the download against an MD5 hash
10. Owner takes the flash drive and plugs into a USB port
11. Owner puts the vehicle in accessory mode
12. PDIM indexes the flash drive and see an update file on the root, compares the versions on the flash drive and the active module firmware, if flash drive is same or older, ignore
13. MyLink prompts the owner to install the discovered update if newer than existing version
14. Depending on the type of update, the owner may be asked to start the vehicle before it begins
15. Once the update is complete, the vehicle honks the horn and shuts down
16. Owner removes the flash drive and starts the vehicle

Development time for Download Manager and owner portal download section, plus notification gateway -- 30 days, including QA & UAT.

Money GM saves not paying dealerships for service appointments related to reflashing a module or coordinating possible urgent TSB's -- likely 10,000,000$/year across all GM brands. I'll do it for 200,000$ upfront and 200,000$/year maintenance & support. ROI is less than 30 days.

Oh and customers actually loving that they can keep their vehicle up to date faster than their wireless carrier approves phone security updates is just a side effect. We know you don't want to make them happy.
I'm a coder, so I looked up the MyLink SDK, but GM has a policy which prohibits testing software on your own vehicle due to safety concerns. You can use their simulator, but any code has to be submitted to GM for their approval. It would not surprise me if they charged a fee to test it for you every time. A lot of red tape just to just tinker with a vehicle I own. I wanted to make a custom theme to get rid of the light blue colors and change them to amber so they are easier on the eyes. And then make a smart theme that talks to the auto headlights to invert the display color schemes at night, like the GPS does. Oh well, so much for that...

"Ahhh! Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get!"
- Lyrics from a song from Scooter: "Apache Rock the Bottom!"

Previously owned
1998 BMW 540 w/M-series package
1991 Trans Am GTA
1985 Saab 900 Turbo (Burned leaded fuel on the Autobahn)
1985 Firebird (R.I.P.)
1976 Camaro LT
Vyncynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #5
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
FYI, the reason that they dont allow OTA and self-service is likely a security thing; it'd be trivial to hack the software and insert malicious content, phish chevy owners in to downloading it, and then installing it. OTA updates would be better, but still not good as you could likely spoof it with ~$1000 in parts from (somewhere like) radioshack.
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:21 AM   #6
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyncynt View Post
I'm a coder, so I looked up the MyLink SDK, but GM has a policy which prohibits testing software on your own vehicle due to safety concerns. You can use their simulator, but any code has to be submitted to GM for their approval. It would not surprise me if they charged a fee to test it for you every time. A lot of red tape just to just tinker with a vehicle I own. I wanted to make a custom theme to get rid of the light blue colors and change them to amber so they are easier on the eyes. And then make a smart theme that talks to the auto headlights to invert the display color schemes at night, like the GPS does. Oh well, so much for that...
I would love for there to be an integrate theme generator. Load some images onto a flash drive, pick a layout, select a primary/secondary/tertiary color from a wheel and apply. Also custom startup images/animations for the MyLink & DIC would be pretty cool too.

GM wants to test everyones work for them so that it never sees the light of day unless they want to ape your idea -- aka Apple's approval process.

To those thinking its' all about security, the core applications can still be encrypted and the update method I outline can still be done without the owner knowing the key value pairs. Nothing for GM to worry about.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
Vyncynt

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS (on order)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
I would love for there to be an integrate theme generator. Load some images onto a flash drive, pick a layout, select a primary/secondary/tertiary color from a wheel and apply. Also custom startup images/animations for the MyLink & DIC would be pretty cool too.

GM wants to test everyones work for them so that it never sees the light of day unless they want to ape your idea -- aka Apple's approval process.

To those thinking its' all about security, the core applications can still be encrypted and the update method I outline can still be done without the owner knowing the key value pairs. Nothing for GM to worry about.
I agree. A custom startup video of my father in law's 68 Camaro doing a burnout would be awesome.

Still am thinking about digging in a bit further about the SDK. Crossing my fingers that it would be freelancer friendly...

"Ahhh! Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get!"
- Lyrics from a song from Scooter: "Apache Rock the Bottom!"

Previously owned
1998 BMW 540 w/M-series package
1991 Trans Am GTA
1985 Saab 900 Turbo (Burned leaded fuel on the Autobahn)
1985 Firebird (R.I.P.)
1976 Camaro LT
Vyncynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:24 PM   #8
Com69
Banned

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6M Nightfall Gray
I'd just like to be able to do the upgrade myself so I don't have to bring it to the dealer so the tech can abuse my car again. Short of my car imploding, it's never going to the dealer again.
Com69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:57 PM   #9
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
If i'm not mistaken it downloads via the obd-2 port. And should take less than an hour....

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:46 PM   #10
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
last update that gave 8" screens android auto support was documented to be a 20 minute process. At least, that's all the dealers were going to be covered for under warranty work according to the release GM put out about it.

Flashing my ecu / tcu took less than 30 minutes i believe (did that myself). I'd imagine the mylink update to be faster than updating the ecu and tcu.

Anything to get you back at the dealership service dept.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:18 AM   #11
JKLNHYD
Defending the Nation...

Drives: '16 Summit White 2SS, A8, Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyncynt View Post
I agree. A custom startup video of my father in law's 68 Camaro doing a burnout would be awesome.
This would be fantastic! Hell, I'd be happy just being able to change the theme behind the icons to a different color or an image other than the blank, black screen.

'16 2SS, A8, Sunroof, non-NPP
"SURSUM AB ORDINE"
JKLNHYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #12
S2Charlie

UPDATE

Thanks for all the replies... apparently it wasn't just a S/W (software) update...

Got to my service appointment at 7:30am (3 day wait because I bought the car from a different dealer)

Hadn't heard anything as of 3pm so I called back

I need a new "Human Interface Module" which is on backorder

So I won't have a radio, backup camera, bluetooth, ect

UNTIL
NOBODY KNOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2016 2SS Red Hot, Black Metallic Rally Stripes, A8, MRC, NPP, Sunroof, Adrenaline Red Interior w/ Accents, Upgraded Radio :: STOCK (as far as the wifey knows...)
2006 Mustang GT Coupe Automatic (Sorry guys) JLT2 CAI w/ SCT2 Tuner & Brenspeed 93 Oct. Tune, Kooks LT Headers, High Flow Cats, and X-Pipe, Corsa Mufflers, 3.73's, Seq. Signals, Spinner Caps 290/303 RWHP/TQ at 88º TRADED IN FOR THE NEW BABY...
Old 08-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #13
S2Charlie

soo I lost the car for a day, I will be losing the car for another at some point at least I have the LT1 symphony

Old 08-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #14
S2Charlie

LOL

Human interface module = Touchscreen Radio....

Last edited by S2Charlie; 08-25-2016 at 04:53 PM.

Tags
mylink, problem, radio, tech