Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-27-2016, 05:17 PM   #1
ocautomotive

Drives: 2017 ZL1 and 2018 SS 1LE
Does this sound right to you?

Took my car in to see why it was so low on oil, my car lost almost 4 quarts in 5000 miles. They started a consumption test and the tech said that GM says losing 2 quarts every 2000 miles is "tolerable". To me, that sounds like a lot and i dont want my car burning oil that much and GM saying it is "tolerable". They said if my car loses more than 2 quarts by the end of the test which is in 2000 miles, I get a rebuilt block and if they find any shavings or excessive damage i get a new lt1. This whole thing is a shit show and honestly i feel like my car is fine and the tech before just didnt put enough oil in, but im real worried now that my car is really burning a quart every 1250 miles which is "tolerable" to GM. What is your input on my situation.
ocautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #2
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
No new car should burn ANY oil. Have you followed the factory break in procedure in the owners manual?
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:20 PM   #3
BadBillyJack

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Ask for gm documentation stating that is it "tolerable."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20171LE View Post
The fact remains, the Camaro designers have another fail in not transferring the clothes hanger from the ATS to the Camaro.
I, and every other Camaro owner that hangs clothes in their cars, need a solution.
BadBillyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
Hyper16
A Heartbeat Away.........

Drives: Not As Fast As I Would Like To
I call
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

The problem with this world is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be penalties for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Hyper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:26 PM   #5
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:28 AM   #6
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
If you are down 4 quarts, I would really hope that the tech only put in 6 quarts and your last oil change. If your car really used 4 quarts of oil between oil changes, I would be considering dumping the car before the warranty runs out.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:40 AM   #7
Heavymetal454
Account Suspended

Drives: '69 RS Pro Street
It's obvious that the word tolerable was created to tell honest people that they can go F themselves when there's a problem that they don't want to address. Of course you could always say something like, So I should tolerate the oil loss the same way your boss tolerates you working here? Is that right?
Heavymetal454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:31 PM   #8
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
4 quarts down between oil changes?

Yeah....not acceptable.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:45 PM   #9
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
The FIRST thing is to Run the TEST, Make SURE that the oil is FULL when starting the test!!!!!! Run the test, Then act on the results. DON'T Freek out till the Test is OVER!!! You will Get LOTS of BS on ANY Forum, You WILL LIVE a lot longer without STRESS in YOUR LIFE, Good Luck!!!
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:04 PM   #10
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocautomotive View Post
Took my car in to see why it was so low on oil, my car lost almost 4 quarts in 5000 miles. They started a consumption test and the tech said that GM says losing 2 quarts every 2000 miles is "tolerable". To me, that sounds like a lot and i dont want my car burning oil that much and GM saying it is "tolerable". They said if my car loses more than 2 quarts by the end of the test which is in 2000 miles, I get a rebuilt block and if they find any shavings or excessive damage i get a new lt1. This whole thing is a shit show and honestly i feel like my car is fine and the tech before just didnt put enough oil in, but im real worried now that my car is really burning a quart every 1250 miles which is "tolerable" to GM. What is your input on my situation.
Did you check your oil level when the service was performed or did you just assume it was full ? I'm not saying that oil loss should be okay, it sounds a bit excessive, but now that it's on your radar you may find that you may have been low to begin with.

Not an apples to apples comparison but my Viper engine truck burns about a quart every 1 to 1.4k miles, Dodge also says that is at the acceptable level of consumption. We just call it "sweating horsepower" on the SRT 10 forum.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #11
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
Did you check your oil level when the service was performed or did you just assume it was full ? I'm not saying that oil loss should be okay, it sounds a bit excessive, but now that it's on your radar you may find that you may have been low to begin with.

Not an apples to apples comparison but my Viper engined truck burns about a quart every 1 to 1.4k miles, Dodge also says that is at the acceptable level of consumption. We just call it "sweating horsepower" on the SRT 10 forum.

Well, it is a Dodge, so if it's not using oil it's not running
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:02 PM   #12
ocautomotive

Drives: 2017 ZL1 and 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
4 quarts down between oil changes?

Yeah....not acceptable.
Well that is IF it was filled 10 quarts. I can certainly bet the dealef didnt put in 10 quarts and they are using this whole oil burning BS to make themselves not look like dipsticks. My car emits no smoke, run smooth, performance is same and there are no leaks.
ocautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:09 PM   #13
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
The manual claims that with the oil monitor that is used in the car that it could go a full year between changes, but you are supposed to check the oil at every fill up and add as needed. It does go on to say about using more oil if driven hard. I know Chrysler issued a TSB on the 5.7 hemi that it's normal for it to be an oil burner. That is a great way to ignore a problem.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:17 AM   #14
Gearslammer

Drives: Z28
I really am asking what others are seeing on oil consumption? Car and Driver seems to think there might be an issue, but they seemed to drive it hard.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-update-review
Gearslammer is offline   Reply With Quote