#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #1
BanOne

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am
Michelin vs Continental

Guys,

So want to know if anyone has had both sets on the same car and what they liked and disliked. I know ANOTHER tire thread but hear me out. I am looking at the mp4s and the extreme contact for a 2019 ZLE. I want a set of street tires while I keep the goodyear's for track days. I have heard people rave about the Michelin but they are out for a while so I am thinking of going with the conti's but I am wondering if anyone has had both sets on their car. Most people have had one and sweat but it but have no experience with the other. Thanks ahead of time.

Doug
BanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:15 PM   #2
Techdude99

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE
I had the Continental's on my CivicType R and loved them on the street. Can't speak to the Camaro. I needed all seasons for a DD so I went a different route.
Techdude99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:18 PM   #3
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
I haven't had Contis or Michelins on my ZLE. I am about to put Michelin PS4S on though for my DD purposes. I have had Contis and Michelins on my previous M3/4s though. I've always found the Michelins to be noticeably better in all regards, especially on the track.

That being said, if all you are is using either for is a competent/very good summer DD tire than certain Conti options can be a nice cheaper alternative. Michelins always seem to be the most expensive tire in its class. There seem to be better deals on Contis in genrreal for sales etc.

For track between the two I'd stay with Michelin IMO.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:42 PM   #4
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Went with Bridgestone, because of the A/S.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:19 PM   #5
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
I ran both types on my 2016 Camaro 2SS. I was not over impressed with the PS4S due to their poor track performance (they got hot easily and then it was slip-slidin'-away).

The Continentals did fine on the track (not as sticky as the stock GYs). They were great tires for the street. They were quite and handled rain just fine. They wore well, too.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:13 PM   #6
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
I ran both types on my 2016 Camaro 2SS. I was not over impressed with the PS4S due to their poor track performance (they got hot easily and then it was slip-slidin'-away).

The Continentals did fine on the track (not as sticky as the stock GYs). They were great tires for the street. They were quite and handled rain just fine. They wore well, too.
I've had really good luck with PSS/PS4S on our local small track. Unfortunately Cup2s for me help up their reputation of being a 1-2 lap hero tire and then fell off quickly/slip sliding like you said.

When all of this craziness ends, I'm excited to get out on the SC3Rs and see how they do on the track.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:17 PM   #7
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yea i have michelin ps4s on now was gonna do cup 2s next but they are out of stock and im on 20s so not many other options probably will just try the oem 1le goodyear tires
Old 04-17-2020, 02:24 PM   #8
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanOne View Post
Guys,

So want to know if anyone has had both sets on the same car and what they liked and disliked. I know ANOTHER tire thread but hear me out. I am looking at the mp4s and the extreme contact for a 2019 ZLE. I want a set of street tires while I keep the goodyear's for track days. I have heard people rave about the Michelin but they are out for a while so I am thinking of going with the conti's but I am wondering if anyone has had both sets on their car. Most people have had one and sweat but it but have no experience with the other. Thanks ahead of time.

Doug

Ill be going with the Contis in the next few weeks on my ZL1 / LE and heres why. Judging from the research Ive done, I havent been able to establish a wide enough performance margin between the two, too justify spending the extra coin on the Michelins. Im coming to this conclusion by reading reviews of both tires from various car manufacturer forum sites. So, Its Contis for me personally.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:32 PM   #9
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
OP: I don't believe you will be disappointed with either tire. The target tire for the Conti Extreme Contact Sport was the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, precursor to the PS4S. I would say it may help to know your daily driving style and what your expectations of them are. I know you mentioned using the Goodyears for track days so no need to compare either of these for track sessions.
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:20 PM   #10
~Jb

Drives: 2018 ZLE
You won't be disappointed with either of these two tires. The reality is you can get the PS4S for only a few hundred bucks more than the CECS... Because of this I decided on the PS4S, their track records don't lie.

FWIW: Both tires (at least for the ZLE) are currently backordered. Had the CECS been available now, I would have bought them. I think both on paper, and from people here using and discussing them, I believe both are great choices for street.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:26 PM   #11
BanOne

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaperSS View Post
OP: I don't believe you will be disappointed with either tire. The target tire for the Conti Extreme Contact Sport was the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, precursor to the PS4S. I would say it may help to know your daily driving style and what your expectations of them are. I know you mentioned using the Goodyears for track days so no need to compare either of these for track sessions.
Car is not a daily drive so no worries there and they will not be users on the track. Looking for something that gets rid of the road noise a bit and is a bit softer.
BanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:09 AM   #12
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
PS4S is the best all around tire, if you drive the car in wet weather.

The Goodyear Supercar 3's (Non R) have now been proven (in Autox) to be a much better handling/faster tire.

Best regards,
Dave
Old 04-18-2020, 07:40 AM   #13
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
It'll be pretty hard to find someone that's owned both on the same car. I've had a fair amount of experience on the Conti ECS on my old 2011 Mustang, the PSS on my old Focus ST, and the Michelin a/s 3+ on this car. These have all been daily tires except the one HPDE I did on the PSS.

If I was to chose one for street use it'd be the Contis. They're the best in the wet, there is a reason they're the autox rain tire of choice. Plus they're significantly less money and come with the same 30k mile warranty. You're not shooting for lap times, so the little bit the PS4S is better in the dry doesn't really matter.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:55 AM   #14
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Of the two price is going to come in there and I typically really like the look of the Conti's, I think though that ECS is up there in age as far as what's on the market, now. The PS4 is the latest greatest and the ECS is aging rapidly. That's MHO. Ive not driven either tire.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote