Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
somethingwitty

Drives: 2016 1SS NPP MRC
1SS Broken Front Suspsension post accident

Hey All,

Sorry for the depressing first post, been lurking a bit on here, figured id ask for some advice.

On Thursday some genius decided to try and pass me on the right while i was turning right into my neighborhood. Body damage isn't too bad Needs a new front quarter and front fascia/bumper....His Caddy is toast and went off into a telephone pole...

However, my front suspension is pretty hosed. Id say contact speed was around a 40mph between the 2 vehicles, mostly to the passenger wheel as it was radius outward into a turn.

Any advice? I am mostly concerned about front cradle and all the aluminum parts, electric steering etc, it is also equipped with MRC.

With the wide shot pic you can see where my rubber from my front tire was left behind, just behind the rear wheel closer to the cement line.

I don't have an attached pic but the front shock tower on the passenger side is raised about 1 inch and the rubber seals around it totally pushed out.

Eric
somethingwitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:11 PM   #2
somethingwitty

Pics were stripped from original post, resized.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
dkmatter

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingwitty View Post
Hey All,

Sorry for the depressing first post, been lurking a bit on here, figured id ask for some advice.

On Thursday some genius decided to try and pass me on the right while i was turning right into my neighborhood. Body damage isn't too bad Needs a new front quarter and front fascia/bumper....His Caddy is toast and went off into a telephone pole...

However, my front suspension is pretty hosed. Id say contact speed was around a 40mph between the 2 vehicles, mostly to the passenger wheel as it was radius outward into a turn.

Any advice? I am mostly concerned about front cradle and all the aluminum parts, electric steering etc, it is also equipped with MRC.

With the wide shot pic you can see where my rubber from my front tire was left behind, just behind the rear wheel closer to the cement line.

I don't have an attached pic but the front shock tower on the passenger side is raised about 1 inch and the rubber seals around it totally pushed out.

Eric
Make sure to file for diminished value against the caddy drivers insurance company.

https://www.learnvest.com/knowledge-...surance-claim/
dkmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
somethingwitty

So, appraiser and shop have looked at it. Getting a new rack, control arms, tie rods, wheel and tire etc in addition to the bodywork. Only good news so far is the other insurance company has accepted liability.

With the new control arms what do you think the odds of a front cradle alignment being needed? Thinking I may insist on it being done regardless based on how hard the wheel was hit.

I haven't been given any alignment measurements yet.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:22 PM   #5
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
Awesome they're taking responsibility.
LuvMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:25 PM   #6
euroconvert

Drives: 2007 335i, 2004 xtype (commute)
Check that they put Setup and measure on the estimate as well as an alignment. Setup & measure is important to see if there is any sway on the front end, alignment will reveal any subframe issues.
euroconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:14 AM   #7
maraging

Drives: 15 1ss 1le
Is that brake dust? :o
maraging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #8
zeekle

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
+1 on diminished value

Most insurance companies that a newish caddy driver would have are pretty good about repairs but they aren't going to spend a dollar more than they have to in order to complete the claim.
zeekle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #9
nbryant

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraging View Post
Is that brake dust? :o
Lots and Lots of brake dust!
Old 03-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #10
somethingwitty

Lots of stop and go in DC. It's about 1 week of dust, angle makes it look worse.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #11
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Somethingwitty, your Camaro will be okay. Just make sure the body shop has a good alignment tech or a shop they use after the car is repaired. My '16 SS had extensive front end damage from an accident I had back in November and like yours the right side had damage to the suspension and wheel. It has MRC and after the repairs and alignment it drives just like before when I bought it. Yeah I know about the geniuses on the road also. Seems like the one that ran into you was a real dumbass passing you on the right while you were turning right. Real freaking smart!! Oh well the roads are full of them now. Good luck!