Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
ZL1s parked outside... ?

Some folks live in apartment complexes & may wind up storing/parking their ZL1s in the available off street parking areas. Others w/o that option might have to park their Camaro under the stars at night somewhere on the STREET. Maybe, an enthusiast who has a garage might not be able to take advantage of that security due to the ZL1's approach angle & their steep driveway. Tire temperatures during Winter months will come into play & another set of wheels with All-Seasons or Winter/M+S tires might be necessary in that instance. I don't like the idea of parking on the street for fairly obvious reasons. What if you don't have much choice? Do you do w/o the ZL1... the ultimate Camaro? Do you buy something more "appropriate"? Do you rent a space somewhere & visit with your car from time to time?

I was just wondering how many of you are forced to risk parking outside of a climate controlled garage due to whatever set of circumstances come into play. Is it worth it?
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Drives: 16' 2SS, 12 ZL1, RIP Sasuke
Send a message via MSN to Heaven_is_inferno_orange Send a message via Yahoo to Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Yes. It is worth it to drive what you love and love what you drive. Doesn't matter if it has to sleep under the stars as long as it brings the driver that precious permagrin.
Heaven_is_inferno_orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It's worth it to anyone who wants a ZL1, lol.

How could it not be?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
Let's first talk about the tires. Is it the storing over long periods of time in cold weather or is it actually driving on them in cold weather? Because as we speak these cars are sitting in below freezing temps and GM doesn't seem to mind
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
I think as long as the car is driven then it shouldn't matter if the car sits outside in cold weather. I believe GM was stating that if you plan to put your car away for winter and not deive it then make sure it's stored properly
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
camarofreak

Drives: 2011 Silverado LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
Some folks live in apartment complexes & may wind up storing/parking their ZL1s in the available off street parking areas. Others w/o that option might have to park their Camaro under the stars at night somewhere on the STREET. Maybe, an enthusiast who has a garage might not be able to take advantage of that security due to the ZL1's approach angle & their steep driveway. Tire temperatures during Winter months will come into play & another set of wheels with All-Seasons or Winter/M+S tires might be necessary in that instance. I don't like the idea of parking on the street for fairly obvious reasons. What if you don't have much choice? Do you do w/o the ZL1... the ultimate Camaro? Do you buy something more "appropriate"? Do you rent a space somewhere & visit with your car from time to time?

I was just wondering how many of you are forced to risk parking outside of a climate controlled garage due to whatever set of circumstances come into play. Is it worth it?
Well if you can afford a ZL1 you will probably have a garage to put it in. And you can probably afford to have a truck to drive in bad weather.
camarofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
alex70olds
~~*~~

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #141
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarofreak View Post
Well if you can afford a ZL1 you will probably have a garage to put it in. And you can probably afford to have a truck to drive in bad weather.
He can't get it up his driveway, approach angle.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex70olds View Post
He can't get it up his driveway, approach angle.
Time to move.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post

Nope! If I couldn't afford the stable I wouldn't buy the horse.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
snapp32e

Drives: '81-Z28/'07-Tundra/'12-ZL1/'13-Jeep
I agree. 1 horse in the stable now. Introduce the ZL1 and there is still room for 2 more. The truck stays outside because.....its a truck. I wouldnt be buying one if i didnt have a home for it.
ZL1 #612
snapp32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
rickadu

Drives: '03RamDiesel '06TBlazerSS, ZL1 #772
Truck, SS and new ZL1 will all be in the barn every night.
ZL1 Victory Red - MN6-RSK-B92-CF5 #772
rickadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
my last place had a steep driveway and parked me Z06 inside my garage.

kind of a multipart question. If you have a garge I can't see any reason you could not get the ZL-1 in it whether you angle or back in. If you don't have a garage any car you buy is going to sit outside so separte issue.

As far as the tires go to me there are two options.

1. run them and see what happens
2. imediatly dismount them on delviery, sell them as new, and get different tires.

when I bough my 08 corvette the F1 supercars were on national backorder so they were easy to sell. I drove from the dealership to the tire place had my new $1700 worth z06 replica's and INVO's thrown on. sold my take off wheels and tires for $1600 on ebay.

get somePS2's or some other tire if the bulitins about the goodyears bother you. by the time I get mine I am hoping to hear some feedback on the tires I have not decided if I will run them or flip them. The F1 supercars I did not like very much. tehy are just known over in the corvette world to have some grip issues in a strait line but they are epensive so easy to sell.

To me though I will be honest having a 50k car an no house is something I would never ever do though. even when i was young and dumb I always had rentals with garages becasue I have just alwayst had 2 or 3 cars. So in my case I would remedy the apratment issue before I bought a car like this but that is me.

I have thought about selling are pad getting a Phat single wide and then having a 458 parked out front though. I would make a parking structure out of pvc and blue tarps though.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #13
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
For me I have no garage, I converted it to living space 20 years a go. So for the past two years I've had two 5th Gens and a Sky Redline parked out front in the driveway under the stars . Granted I live in Florida, so I only deal with a week or two of below 40 weather. Other than that I just need to wash the cars more often, typically once a week. Other than that, I've had zero issues keeping them all outdoors.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #14
PNYSLAR
Summit White 2012 ZL1 M6

Drives: 2010 BLACK 2SS/RS M6 Delvd 8/24/9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickadu View Post
Truck, SS and new ZL1 will all be in the barn every night.
X2
2012 Summit White ZL1 Manual 6sp Blk 10 spoke, "Thanks Champion Chevrolet" delivered 6/9/2012 #1588
PNYSLAR is offline   Reply With Quote